The war in Ukraine

Discuss current, historical or potential future conflicts around the world.
seaspear
Australia

Re: The war in Ukraine

Post by seaspear »

If one of its aims of Putin was to demilitarise Ukraine it may be the opposite with a Ukraine more heavily armed and under less constraint than if it was under N.A.T.O and certainly more united against Russia

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

How many tanks do we think the Russians have lost?

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

The minimum number will be the number contained in this list which in reality is a vast underestimate because not every destroyed tank will be caught on video or with a camera. The number is currently 405 tanks and 2360 total equipment.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/a ... pment.html

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

If this is what’s happened around Kyiv I dread to think what awaits in the towns and cities the Russians have laid siege too.

Enigmatically

Post by Enigmatically »

NickC wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 15:18 Not according to Moose on Secret Projects UK ?

"No, you can see the missile's motor burning in the frame before impact, which you wouldn't see from Starstreak's darts. This particular hit was a conventional MANPAD"
I've seen a lot more convincing evidence that it was a starstreak. In one video you can see the 3 darts, and speed analysis matches. What appeared to be burning was the sun glinting
These users liked the author Enigmatically for the post:
jimthelad

Enigmatically

Post by Enigmatically »

Jdam wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 10:04 Coastal defence weapons?!? I don't think we have any anti-ship missiles to give Ukraine that could make a dent in what they are facing.
It doesn't need much. Look at the impact sinking a landing ship had. RU will be scared about losing anything valuable, and closing resupply would be huge.

What we are sending is another matter, but we may just buy something for them

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

The warhead explodes within the tail section. If you put through slow image analysis you can see the impact points x2 prior to the explosion. Either it was a simultaneous impact of 2 identical MANPADS or it was Starstreak. If it the latter, then it is every bit as terrifying as it's reputation would suggest.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Runors are appearing that the UK is sending a number of its older M27 MLTS, the ones that cannot fire the guided rockets, to Ukraine the Defence Secretary has sated that the UK will be sending heavy artillery which means either the M270 or the AS-90. The former would give the Ukrainians a long range weapon, especially if the Germans also send sone of their AT Rockets to fire from them.
These users liked the author Lord Jim for the post:
wargame_insomniac

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Isn't the M270 a bit over the top for what they need at this very second in time?

Maybe something that inst mechanised like the L118 might be better as it will require less maintenance, could be towed by what the Ukrainian army already has and surely easier to get the ammunition for it to Ukraine.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

They need something to counter the long range Russian artillery and te M270 fill that role amiably. They do not need any 105mm and thay have hundreds of D-30 122mm guns. If they also get counter battery radar the Russian artillery is in for a very nasty time.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Really sorry for all the typos here and elsewhere! Issues with eyes and seeing double at present.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

So now we could be sending Mastiff's and Jackals for me we should be sending Mastiff's and Panthers as we need to keep the Jackals

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Tempest414 wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 17:40 So now we could be sending Mastiff's and Jackals for me we should be sending Mastiff's and Panthers as we need to keep the Jackals
Seems sensible offers.

May have wanted the jackals for off-road things.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Unless we are going to replace any Jackals we send we should not send them as we need them for our Light cavalry , Ranger's , SF and RAF regt for me sending Panthers are a good vehicle

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

Just how vulnerable are Russian tanks (or all tanks?) to attack from the rear? I was not expecting to see a 30mm auto-cannon being sufficient to disable or destroy two T-72s in quick succession...maybe hit externally stored fuel?

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

Unfortunately the video ends before we see the final result of the engagement, (one could ask why it ends at that particular point?) so its unclear how effective the fire actually was. However in general a 30mm APDS round should have little trouble penetrating the rear armour of most if not all MBTs, probably leading to a mobility kill if not total destruction. Other types of rounds are likely to be less effective, which may well be the case in this instance.
These users liked the author whitelancer for the post:
Phil Sayers

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

1st shipment of Bushmasters of 20 are on there way

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.9ne ... 0221a7bf0a
These users liked the author R686 for the post:
wargame_insomniac

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

Anti-ship missiles? Rapidly fielding Sea Spear possibly? Maybe buying from a third party to send to Ukraine?
These users liked the author Phil Sayers for the post (total 2):
SW1Repulse

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Sky news defence reporter says that the following vehicles are believed to be involved in the gift...

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

Spartan ideal for moving anti-tank or MANPAD teams around, possible intended for Starstreak.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Spartan would be a good option as would any of the protected transport vehicles we still have that are earmarked for sale as surplus to requirements. We also have to upgraded Trojans available as another option I suppose. But what they need also includes long range artillery and AFVs capable of offensive operations i.e. Tanks for starters.

If Ukraine s to retake land NATOand other countries are going to have to provide offensive weapon systems, something they have not really been willing to do up until now as well as aircraft, ideally of a type they have already operated. The Poles and other NATO nations have Mig-29s as a few have SU-25 Ground Attack aircraft either in use or in storage. Without these additional assets, teh Ukrainians are going to be limited in what they can do besides defending what they till hold, especially in the East and South East, and the war will start to represent a war of attrition with WWI style defences. As a result the way will drag on for a considerable period of time until one side becomes exhausted.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

So what we are sending is enough vehicles for a re-enforced motorized battalion

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

Lord Jim wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 02:59 We also have to upgraded Trojans available as another option I suppose.
I’m sure the Ukranians wouldn’t say no, but I didn’t think we were getting rid of our latests AVREs.

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

Not just Starstreak but also Martlet has been sent to Ukraine:

The outcome: