Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
PhillyJ
England

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by PhillyJ »

jimthelad wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 18:00 Bombing up for short notice to deploy I suspect.
I think there have been some discussions about whether or not these are live, or dummy's. Certainly, having gone through safety training in the boathouse here on the use of lifting straps, the pics shown here are shocking...twisted straps?!?
These users liked the author PhillyJ for the post:
swoop

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Read the video description....^

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

the pics shown here are shocking...twisted straps?!?

Indeed. Even dummy bombs can cause injuries if the strap breaks

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

Why are they using a hired crane? I thought the work on the jetty and its two cranes had been completed according to MOD/DIO press release. The concrete barriers don't look permanent either.

Surely it would be better for the jetty to have ramp to allow the forklift to go directly on board QE or at least to a height it could just drop the pallet directly on the lift.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Not QE class related, but if anyone is around Pompey Harbour tomorrow just a heads up around 1600, literally!

wargame_insomniac

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

PhillyJ wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 08:52 Not QE class related, but if anyone is around Pompey Harbour tomorrow just a heads up around 1600, literally!

Shame that 736 NAS is being decommissioned in another cost saving cut back. Its a shame because I would have thought having aggressor training for our RAF / FAA aircrews would be quite useful now......

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

736 Sqn was formed in place of FRADU because the FAA had no fixed wing units and could only get a small number of over seas posting now F-35 is up and running the old FRADU role can go back to its civi routes

Bongodog
United Kingdom

Post by Bongodog »

tomuk wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 03:22 Why are they using a hired crane? I thought the work on the jetty and its two cranes had been completed according to MOD/DIO press release. The concrete barriers don't look permanent either.

Surely it would be better for the jetty to have ramp to allow the forklift to go directly on board QE or at least to a height it could just drop the pallet directly on the lift.
The MOD at times seems to delight in wasting money, not only are they not using the exceedingly expensive newly installed pedestal cranes, but have hired in not one but two cranes to lift munitions approx 5 metres onto the lifts.
The pallets shown could easily be lifted by a telescopic fork lift as used on thousands of farms and building sites every day at a fraction of the cost of the crane hire,crane hire would be well over £1000 a day for each crane, a telehander would cost no more than £100 a day
These users liked the author Bongodog for the post:
PhillyJ

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Hi. I am not sure if this news has been posted / discussed elsewhere but did nt think so. Am posting it in this thread as the carriers seem to be the likeliest ships to deploy these new UAV, at least initially - please move to another thread if more suitable.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/royal-n ... re-drones/

I know the RN carriers recently tested the Banshee UAV, I have no idea how they compare to other commonly available drones. I hope that RN is getting something that can compare favourably to the Turkish Bayraktar UAV that have been headline news in recent weeks.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Yes but they are not operating from the carrier.....

From the article linked.....The fighter jets will integrate with naval vessels and although not flying from HMS Prince of Wales, which is serving as the NATO Command Ship, they will train with the Carrier.
These users liked the author bobp for the post (total 2):
PhillyJTSharpe28

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Interesting to see that the U.S.M.C that deployed on the Queen Elizabeth class carrier are putting those new skills to their own light carrier
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... this-april program
Im not sure how often they will deploy with 20 f35,s
These users liked the author seaspear for the post:
wargame_insomniac

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

seaspear wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 20:53 Interesting to see that the U.S.M.C that deployed on the Queen Elizabeth class carrier are putting those new skills to their own light carrier
Just reading that very article. An interesting update on the old Gator Navy trick of Harrier Carrier, but with F35B's extra stealth and integrated sensor systems. If the America and the Tripoli can set up like this on a regular basis, that will help getting more F35's to face the Chinese, whilst the remaining LHD's and LPD's can deploy the Marine Expeditionary Groups.

It will be nice when the RN can field 20 F35B's with two full squadrons operational - although at the speed of deliveries fro Lockheed Martin, this won't be for many years.....

It would be great if the MOD, prompted by current events, managed to find enough money down the back of the sofa to order at LEAST an additional dozen F35B's, to be delievred on accelerated timetable.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

The flexibility of being able to change the aircraft carrier may be the key to its effectiveness it may just as easily carry uav,s or even asw helicopters ,the Queen Elizabeth class carriers being larger could carry more if so required
These users liked the author seaspear for the post:
PhillyJ

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

seaspear wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 22:46 The flexibility of being able to change the aircraft carrier may be the key to its effectiveness it may just as easily carry uav,s or even asw helicopters ,the Queen Elizabeth class carriers being larger could carry more if so required
What UAV's do RN currently have in operational use? I know they have tested the Banshee and have just recently invested in a future programme to build the Vampire UAV, but currently nothing.

So I will feel more comfortable when RN are in a position to be able to field two full squadrons of F35B's so that each carrier can field at last one squadron each. Until then we have a very expensive ASW helicopter carrier.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Spoke to nipper, he has not yet seen the northern lights but hopes to soon, has spotted some whales, ship behaving very well...though sea state has tested some of the new recruits stomach refluxes!
serge750

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

seaspear wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 20:53 Interesting to see that the U.S.M.C that deployed on the Queen Elizabeth class carrier are putting those new skills to their own light carrier
I think bunks are more cramped there but the Marines are used to it.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Wasn't the America class built to have the option of operating them as Light Carriers?

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

What would they do for AEW?

I take it they would be a "Surge" part of a typical carrier group with everything they usually have, (Nimitz class and so on) I don't know if I would like to take on China with out it :problem:

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Jdam wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 16:29 What would they do for AEW?

I take it they would be a "Surge" part of a typical carrier group with everything they usually have, (Nimitz class and so on) I don't know if I would like to take on China with out it :problem:
The first 2 America class were built as LHAs for advanced aviation ( the whole class was originally planned that way but quickly realised the well docks were still needed ) from what Iv read the idea is for them to be used as light carriers where needed to free up the real CSGs.

As for AEW the USMC were for a while funding the development of the V-247 large UAV, there were to be several variants from attack ( reaper like ) to AEW, electronic warfare and simple logistics. They cut the program a few years ago but Iv seen rumours they are picking it back up.

Iv often said the V-247 is a program we should partner the USMC with as it’d give our carrier a better AEW set up along with EW and reaper style capabilities.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Thanks for that. If the idea is to free up the real CSGs as a nation that went to war without AEW we know the cost and the idea is a bit scary to me.

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Jdam wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 16:29 What would they do for AEW?

America and Tripoli operating as Lightning Carriers offer US two things:

Firstly is obviously adding an additional 20 F35B's each to the mix of aircraft carried by CSG. Currently the US CSG tend to operate 4 strike fighter squadons, comprising a mix of F35B's and/or F/A-18 Hornets (together with squadrons of EW Growlers, AEW Hawkeyes and ASW Seahawks). The idea is that these additional 20 F35B's would add more fifth generation stealthy aircraft to the first strike capacity, with intention that, with their stealth and sharing of networked sensor information, that these can take out enemy aircraft, radars and SAM systems whilst they are out of effective enemy sensor range (due to stealth).

The second is to simply add to the US geographical coverage. With US having 11 aircraft carriers the idea is that roughly one third (i.e. roughly approx 4 carriers) are active a any time), with another third to ships working up to full oprational readiness, and another third to shi[s running down from operational readiness with personnel leave and training, and ship repair and maintenance. Of those four carrier groups, likely that two would be capable of facing China (with one based in Hawaii and another advance deployed to Japan), with other two in Atlantic / Meditterranean and Persian Gulf / Indian Ocean.

This would just spread the US F35B's over a wider geographical area, potentially able to cover USMC Expeditionary Group with their LHA/LHD and LPD + LSD amphibious forces,

Otherwise the US is dependant on aircraft operating from airfields in Japan / Guam / Pulao etc operating with tanker support and/or USMC F35B's operating from rough airstrips with pre-positioned fuel and amunition. Now the US do tend to operate AEW aircaft out of Japan / Guam / Pulao etc so these would be available for directing USMC F35B's, assuming they did nt get taken out in Chinese missile first strike.....

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Some 'defence analysts' whines that the UK should still have chosen cat and traps, again

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

12 years too late :eh:

We have what we have lets more on.
These users liked the author Jdam for the post:
TSharpe28

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

QEC was ordered and began construction when Labour's Gordon Brown was Prime Minister from 2007-2010.
These users liked the author SKB for the post:
TSharpe28