The war in Ukraine

Discuss current, historical or potential future conflicts around the world.
SW1
United Kingdom

Re: The war in Ukraine

Post by SW1 »

Possibly a darker turn of events imminent

Enigmatically

Post by Enigmatically »

This looks like good news

These users liked the author Enigmatically for the post:
swoop

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

Interesting comment re; night capable air defence weapons. Rapier?

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... f=Y0jVLcFo

China is considering buying or increasing stakes in Russian energy and commodities companies, such as gas giant Gazprom PJSC and aluminum producer United Co. Rusal International PJSC, according to people familiar with the matter.

Beijing is in talks with its state-owned firms, including China National Petroleum Corp., China Petrochemical Corp., Aluminum Corp. of China and China Minmetals Corp., on any opportunities for potential investments in Russian companies or assets, the people said.

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

Apparently before the war started Ukraine possessed six Tor SAM systems. I would have thought they would be a priority target for the Russians.....well Ukraine now possesses twelve. Not only have seemingly none of their original systems been destroyed they have now captured a further six which Russian troops helpfully abandoned in the field. Methinks their colleagues in the RuAF will be rather unhappy with them.....
These users liked the author Phil Sayers for the post (total 4):
wargame_insomniacdmereifieldLord JimCaribbean

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Interesting/ worrying snippet - two of my wife's colleagues are Romanian - they've apparently just been told to return to Romania, as they are intending to mobilise their reserves.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Could it be to help deal with refugees leaving the reg's to get on with training and working up

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Apparently all males overseas between 18 and 60 are being contacted and asked to return, with a general call-up currently planned for next week. Not sure how reliable that is, but make of it what you will. Can't find anything about it elsewhere
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Caribbean wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 21:41 Apparently all males overseas between 18 and 60 are being contacted and asked to return, with a general call-up currently planned for next week. Not sure how reliable that is, but make of it what you will. Can't find anything about it elsewhere
I would say all the countries that have recent experience of living under Moscow rule against there will are extremely nervous about what they are witnessing on there border and will not want to be caught out.

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

SW1 wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 12:44 May explain the mig story

Israel refused to sell Iron Dome systems to Ukraine as they are "comfortable" with doing business with russia. The development of workable relationships during the Syrian war assisted both countries.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

SW1 wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:28
Caribbean wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 21:41 Apparently all males overseas between 18 and 60 are being contacted and asked to return, with a general call-up currently planned for next week. Not sure how reliable that is, but make of it what you will. Can't find anything about it elsewhere
I would say all the countries that have recent experience of living under Moscow rule against there will are extremely nervous about what they are witnessing on there border and will not want to be caught out.
I don't under stand the 18 to 60 bit surly 18 to 50 is the best group

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Russia's ambassador to the UN has claimed that Moscow's forces have found evidence of an attempt to clear up evidence of biological weapons in Ukraine.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-e ... type=share

If anyone didn't already think Putin has gone complete Wonko :wtf:

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

These users liked the author zanahoria for the post:
R686

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

zanahoria wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 13:23 Interesting analysis from China:

https://uscnpm.org/2022/03/12/hu-wei-ru ... na-choice/
Do the Chinese think we are gonna forget about the the experiment that got out of the lab which they then lied about and pretended it could be controlled by npi because of russias war with Ukraine?

They will become more isolated from the west because their current political elite are cut from the same cloth as putin.

Enigmatically

Post by Enigmatically »

I hope that article represents how Chinese govt are leaning and is a precursor to such a shift of policy. They have to be worried by Putin's threats and the risk of russian bankruptcy too
zanahoria

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

Enigmatically wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 14:37 I hope that article represents how Chinese govt are leaning and is a precursor to such a shift of policy.
I fervently hope so too.

Enigmatically

Post by Enigmatically »

Enigmatically wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 14:37 I hope that article represents how Chinese govt are leaning and is a precursor to such a shift of policy. They have to be worried by Putin's threats and the risk of russian bankruptcy too
Especially now it seems that Russia has asked China for arms to replace those it has lost.
I hope the Chinese tell them they are too careless to be trusted with any more
R686

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Enigmatically wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 20:47
Enigmatically wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 14:37 I hope that article represents how Chinese govt are leaning and is a precursor to such a shift of policy. They have to be worried by Putin's threats and the risk of russian bankruptcy too
Especially now it seems that Russia has asked China for arms to replace those it has lost.
I hope the Chinese tell them they are too careless to be trusted with any more

Really, wow wasn’t aware of that fact what a fall from grace that is compared to years ago

Obviously no lessons learnt after Afghanistan vietnam Korea etc that’s one thing the US does well once they expand they replace

Really begs the question that they have all these reserve stocks of equipment but no stores for these vehicles and whatnot

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

If China ever wanted Manchuria back now is the time,but seriously its quite possible that China knew what was going to happen with so many troops withdrawn from its border
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/impr ... ?r=US&IR=T

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Is there a "Red Line", that if crossed by Russia in the Ukraine that will cause NATO and other western forces to act? There bloody well should be and Putin must be clearly made aware of it!

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

"Leader of the free world" - proclaimed by the country which has 1% of its entire population in prisons. :mrgreen:

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

SKB wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 02:01 "Leader of the free world" - proclaimed by the country which has 1% of its entire population in prisons. :mrgreen:
Free world does not equate life without rules, that’s why they refer to a rules based order

Would not imagine I want to be in a free for all, would you?

Enigmatically

Post by Enigmatically »

Lord Jim wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 00:39 Is there a "Red Line", that if crossed by Russia in the Ukraine that will cause NATO and other western forces to act? There bloody well should be and Putin must be clearly made aware of it!
Fairly clearly the NATO border. Any troop movement past that, any strike past that.
A drone entering NATO airspace (as Ukraine claim happened last night) probably not

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »