F-35B Lightning (RAF & RN)

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Re: F-35B Lightning (RAF & RN)

Post by Timmymagic »

I guess pics had to leak at some time...

Incidentally...the original poster of the picture (not the tweeter) has now removed the pic...but its out there now...

Update - The tweeter has now removed...but its everywhere now...

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Well it appears that they have recovered most of it.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

I am just relieved that we were able to recover it.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Timmymagic wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 22:02 As I said...everywhere now...

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... iterranean
Round of applause for the British Army Deep Sea fishing team :lolno:

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

RunningStrong wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 12:31 Round of applause for the British Army Deep Sea fishing team
Suspect it wasn't the tweeters first language...no mention of the Italian's either...

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Worth noting that the UK will be undertaking this upgrade to its F-35 fleet. Note that its just the Distributed Aperture System, and is apparently a plug and play upgrade in first line maintenance (allegedly), it doesn't include the EOTS (Electro Optical Targeting System) in the large glazed housing under the nose. This will also need to be upgraded at some point as it has begun to fall behind the new generation of targeting pods like Litening III and Sniper ATP-SE (current EOTS is roughly equivalent to the still good Sniper XR).

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

We're not the only ones that have leaks....USN F-35C from the USS Carl Vinson in the drink...

Pure speculation on the reason, given the sea state and intactness of the airframe it looks like it could have been the result of arresting gear failure.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

There was reports of injuries to deck crew, which to me at least sounded more than just an issue with the aircraft. :(

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Jdam wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 11:01 There was reports of injuries to deck crew, which to me at least sounded more than just an issue with the aircraft.
7 crew injured, which is a similar number to previous arresting gear failures. The fact that the ship was undertaking flight operations again fairly soon after also indicates that what ever happened was easily fixed and not a more serious issue that needed investigation before resuming flght ops.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Turns out it was a pretty nasty ramp strike, no arresting gear failure...

Click on the watch at Youtube link.

albedo
United Kingdom

Post by albedo »

There's also been some additional commentary on YouTube (up for a few days now) here:

And also a follow-up video with the new crash footage:

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Italy it appears to have chosen the AIM-9X Block II/II+ for its F-35 A & B's for delivery 2026 "capable of using its datalink, thrust vectoring maneuverability, and advanced imaging infrared seeker to hit targets even behind the launching fighter thanks to the Lock-On-After-Launch capability. Unlike previous AIM-9 models, the AIM-9X Block II/II+ can even be used against targets on the ground." Italy fits the IRIS-T on its Typhoon's, but not an option for F-35 as not integrated.

No mention made of the ASRAAM Block 6 due to enter service on UK F-35B's in 2024.

From <https://theaviationist.com/2022/02/04/i ... -missiles/>

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Smart choice by Italy, if they're having to go OTS for something in lieu of IRIS-T then AIM-9X is the natural choice

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Well they could have gone with ASRAAM instead.
These users liked the author Lord Jim for the post:
SW1

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Lord Jim wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 01:06 Well they could have gone with ASRAAM instead.
Why would they? They could have gone for ASRAAM on Typhoon but clearly preferred IRIS-T and they probably like the Italian workshare it provides.

I want British industry to succeed but c'mon, we can't pretend our stuff is the best option for everyone.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Defiance wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 08:30 Why would they? They could have gone for ASRAAM on Typhoon but clearly preferred IRIS-T and they probably like the Italian workshare it provides.
It's not that well known, but apart from their industrial involvement in IRIS-T, the Italian's also have industrial involvement in AIM-9X. Asraam in comparison has little involvement from Italy (its easy to get blindsided by CAMM-ER in that respect).

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Timmymagic wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 13:15 It's not that well known, but apart from their industrial involvement in IRIS-T, the Italian's also have industrial involvement in AIM-9X. Asraam in comparison has little involvement from Italy (its easy to get blindsided by CAMM-ER in that respect).
Huh, learn something new every day! I did a bit more digging and they still use older AIM-9 variants on Tornado, AMX and Harrier, so rolling over storage/handling/certification for AIM-9X will be quicker and cheaper too than inducting a new type.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Defiance wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 14:07 I did a bit more digging and they still use older AIM-9 variants on Tornado, AMX and Harrier
It's surprising really. The Australian's still have L and M's, the US certainly has a lot of M and P variants knocking around. The UK I think has disposed of its stockpile. Whats always intrigued me about UK missile stockpiles is if we destroy them, or sell them on. If they're life expired...why do ours seem to expire sooner than others? Or do we buy a large number up front that expire almost simultaneously, with other nations making multi year buys of smaller quantities so are able to retain them in service longer? Or it could be that they're more likely to re-life them, but then again.... Asraam new production is Block VI...which implies there have been 5 blocks before it....very confusing.

The other day I saw a picture of an AIM-120A being recently loaded on a USMC Harrier. Thats an old missile...and the US still has some AIM-7P around. Like AIM-120A they're all pre-1995 missiles. Meanwhile the UK's stockpile of AIM-120B was long ago life expired, and they only started production in 1994...our AIM-120C-5's are also apparently almost end of life, and they only arrived in the early 2000's. The only things I can think of is that we're very conservative with our attitude to shelf lives of AAM's, or parsimonious when it comes to storage and rebuilds to keep them current or perhaps the more regular carriage of live munitions for operations or QRA means we burn through the missiles safe carriage limits quicker. Either way its got me stumped. Otherwise we could have jumped on board with the German's re-using Sidewinder L's as laser guided air to ground munitions...

Bring Deeps
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Bring Deeps »

Next 3 flying over?

These users liked the author Bring Deeps for the post (total 4):
SKBserge750bobpScimitar54

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Bring Deeps wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 19:22 Next 3 flying over?
Good spot. It appears it is. Looks like ZM159, 160 and 161. These were supposed to have ben delivered last year but got delayed, I had a hunch they would come over before Spring, but not this early....next batch of 3 is probably closer to year end. Then that should be it for this year.

This makes it 26 F-35 delivered, with 25 operational in RAF hands (obviously excluding the one that went for a swim...).

I'd better update the list tomorrow...

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Is it likely that there will be a second replacement ZM152 (BK-18), or not ?

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

As I understand it, the number expected this year is as follows:-

a) The 3 x aircraft delayed from last year. PLUS
b) The 6 x aircraft due in 2022.

But the naysayers will probably still say Nein! :mrgreen:

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

If all were available, we could be back up to ARK ROYAL IV numbers for the Fast Jet element of one Carrier Air Group! Shame that practically, we will still be 3 short of that, due to the Test Cabs in the USA. :mrgreen:

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Scimitar54 wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 21:43 As I understand it, the number expected this year is as follows:-

a) The 3 x aircraft delayed from last year. PLUS
b) The 6 x aircraft due in 2022.
According to those in the know its only another 3 aircraft this year (from LRIP 14), given the usual UK delivery rhythm they may be at the back end of the year as well, the remaining 5 a/c from LRIP 14 which were due this year have been pushed back into 2023. That will have an effect (with the a/c loss) on the stand up of 809 NAS.