Indian Armed Forces

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Indian Armed Forces

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

This is from late last year
https://www.thedefensepost.com/2019/11/ ... uns-india/

and we were agonising over the couple that we eventually bought (and then put on ships that will go nowhere near to hostile shoreline).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

After posting the video of the Russian May Day parade in Moscow I had to post this one of the parade to celebrate India's Republic Day. The uniforms are fascinating as is the composition of the parade, especially the floats representing various service branches and equipment. Enjoy.

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

I find it extremely cringeworthy when people slap on that Command and Conquer soundtrack on military videos. Far from sounding impressive it ends up coming off pretty juvenile.

Doubly frustrating when the video shows the various bands of the armed forces, why not put some of that over the video?

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

very true.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

India's first home built Carrier Vikrant has started sea trials at 262 by 62 meters and 45,000 tons she looks like a nice ship and means India has two carriers

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

Following the fall of Kabul, with the strong presumption that the Taleban are sponsored by the Pakistani state, it will be interesting to see how many western states (& others) start to align themselves more strongly with India.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Or how the Western states and the allies in the Indo-Pacific region see Pakistan now that their forces have left Afghanistan. I have no doubt China will be more than willing to further increase its support for the nation as a check on India by having that nation watch both its northern and western borders when both are classed as hostile.

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

J. Tattersall wrote:Following the fall of Kabul, with the strong presumption that the Taleban are sponsored by the Pakistani state, it will be interesting to see how many western states (& others) start to align themselves more strongly with India.
Rubbish - most of the Taliban that is now in control of Afghanistan were in Pakistani jails until the americans forced them to release them as part of "Trumps Peace Deal" ...

Exactly how friendly

The Taliban are 60-80k young men who wear sandals, carry Ak47s/mi-16s and conquered Afghanistan on motorbikes - what state support did they require ???

Pakistan hosts 1.5million Afghan refugees in camps and close to that number dispursed in its population .... what Pakistan wants is peace in Afghanistan so that it can send all these people back ..

People who run around accusing of Pakistan of "providing" support have nothing then their desire to shift the blame of the failure of there policies to Pakistan - nothing more ..

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

Lord Jim wrote:Or how the Western states and the allies in the Indo-Pacific region see Pakistan now that their forces have left Afghanistan. I have no doubt China will be more than willing to further increase its support for the nation as a check on India by having that nation watch both its northern and western borders when both are classed as hostile.
It would be certainly far too strong to talk about a Western day of reckoning with Pakistan, but do not be surprised if there is gradually more emphasis placed on India by the West. This doesn't necessarily means arms sales, but a whole host of engagements from mutual policies on immigration, to cooperation on health science and technology, to countering transnational crime, and of course ITOs, to potentially taking common diplomatic/ political stances on important issues. Rather than the Afghan tragedy forcing the West to retreat in on itself (although some countries may), I expect it'll force most countries to realise that their security starts a long way from home.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Unless I have totally misread things I was under the impression that it was generally agreed that Pakistan's Intelligence Services were and still are supporting the Taliban. And don't the latter have major support within the semi autonomous Tribal Region in Pakistan?

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

Lord Jim wrote:Unless I have totally misread things I was under the impression that it was generally agreed that Pakistan's Intelligence Services were and still are supporting the Taliban. And don't the latter have major support within the semi autonomous Tribal Region in Pakistan?
In most sources Pakistan state support for the Taliban is taken as an open secret, in fact a piece on the BBC or Times Radio described the Pakistani PM as 'Taliban' Khan the other day. However some 10 - 15% of Pakistanis are of pashtun origin and the fear must be that the Taliban eventually turn on their supporters and destabilise Pakistan. If you think a Taliban ruled Afghanistan is terrible just think how horrific a nuclear armed Pakistan under their control or influence would be.

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

Lord Jim wrote:Unless I have totally misread things I was under the impression that it was generally agreed that Pakistan's Intelligence Services were and still are supporting the Taliban. And don't the latter have major support within the semi autonomous Tribal Region in Pakistan?
Here is a "white" person trying to explain it - maybe that will help?

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Here is a "white" person trying to explain it - maybe that will help?

He starts off by saying that he doesn't know a lot about the subject !

He then says Afghanistan has a long history going back to pre-historical times ! Have I misunderestimated him ?

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

I expect this MBDA news has been some while in development and doesn't directly reflect current events.
MBDA outlines Indian missile investment plan
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... plan_19786

However it'll be interesting to see whether this is a one off or is at the start of a sea change?

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Sea change - they've recently announced similar plans with Australia. With India particularly, they can either make MBDA more 'Indian' and get money to develop/supply weapons or watch as someone else does it and benefits from the cash.

In other news, India ordered 99 F404 engines for their Tejas Mk1A fighters.

https://www.defensenews.com/industry/20 ... s-fighter/

Those 99 engines look to be a surplus of 16 as the February contract for the Mk1A is for 83 fighters for the IAF. The expectation is when the Mk2 is developed it'll be equipped with F414 engines made in India.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

TheLoneRanger wrote:Rubbish - most of the Taliban that is now in control of Afghanistan were in Pakistani jails until the americans forced them to release them as part of "Trumps Peace Deal" ...

Exactly how friendly

The Taliban are 60-80k young men who wear sandals, carry Ak47s/mi-16s and conquered Afghanistan on motorbikes - what state support did they require ???

Pakistan hosts 1.5million Afghan refugees in camps and close to that number dispursed in its population .... what Pakistan wants is peace in Afghanistan so that it can send all these people back ..

People who run around accusing of Pakistan of "providing" support have nothing then their desire to shift the blame of the failure of there policies to Pakistan
I wonder where your supreme wisdom stems from (no quotes on sources??). Been to the region, like through the 'streets' of Quetta since 1976 (without a rifle; hasten to add ;) )?

Anyway, on the more general points raised, India has been on a pivot from the post-Soviet sphere for a LONG time and make no mistake: the D.C. parlance being standardised on "Indo-Pacific" over a similarly long time has been an indication of being receptive to this change.
- while I do not doubt at all that the wider Pakistani population wants nothing more than peace and the refugees to go back, at the same time a lot of the elite (not necessarily meaning elected politicians, mind you :( ) are able to hang on to power/ influence/ owning huge slices of the economy through ill-gotten gains just by virtue of playing up the old confrontation with India... and being "the guarantors" of national security
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

India has included France,s Barracuda class submarine in the trials for its P-571 submarine program should be interesting for the next few years.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... i-program/

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:Rubbish - most of the Taliban that is now in control of Afghanistan were in Pakistani jails until the americans forced them to release them as part of "Trumps Peace Deal" ...

Exactly how friendly

People who run around accusing of Pakistan of "providing" support have nothing then their desire to shift the blame of the failure of there policies to Pakistan
I wonder where your supreme wisdom stems from (no quotes on sources??). Been to the region, like through the 'streets' of Quetta since 1976 (without a rifle; hasten to add ;) )?

Anyway, on the more general points raised, India has been on a pivot from the post-Soviet sphere for a LONG time and make no mistake: the D.C. parlance being standardised on "Indo-Pacific" over a similarly long time has been an indication of being receptive to this change.
- while I do not doubt at all that the wider Pakistani population wants nothing more than peace and the refugees to go back, at the same time a lot of the elite (not necessarily meaning elected politicians, mind you :( ) are able to hang on to power/ influence/ owning huge slices of the economy through ill-gotten gains just by virtue of playing up the old confrontation with India... and being "the guarantors" of national security
I have been a follower of the region for over 30years, so i feel more comfortable in understanding the subtle aspects of the issue. I dont take my cue from either the BBC or CNN when it became fashionable.

Strategically speaking the Indo-Pacific strategy also benefits Pakistans interests aswell as the Americans - rather than facing India alone as she has done since birth - Pakistan now for the first time has the luxury of a very distracted India who has to also deal with an irate China over multiple hot spots such as Ladakh(which China claims as its own as well ) as well as Arunachal Pradesh. The Chinese recently took a large nibble out of the Galwan Valley and India did nothing. There is a question of how much will the QUAD deliver for the USA compared to what it will deliver to India. If you are a follower of American "alliances" and American "interests" you can guess who will be the winner and loser when the game is complete.

Chinese and Pakistani interests are for the first time aligned with regards to India.

India joining the west as an active member in the China containment strategy is a strategic decision that the Indian establishment has made. Time will tell if it is a good or bad decision for India. India had it good for a long time - good economic growth combined with borders she could manage and not much of an arms race to deal with - but now her problems are starting as China builds up her western military infrastructure to face off India and India is forced to react with additional troops, and procurement programmes.

https://theprint.in/defence/chinas-mili ... ch/748222/

A slightly biased link below(since anyone can edit Wiki) but i dont have time to dig more - but you will get the general idea - there are opportunities for China to exploit India through direction confrontation when required for as long as India wants to be a QUAD member.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indi ... er_dispute

India who now has to deal with 2 hot borders, one at the LoC with Pakistan and one at the LAC with China. That is a step change from before.

India had the opportunity to focus on keeping the border with China quiet and focus on economic growth but with India aligning with the "QUAD" as an active member, it has caught itself in an arms race with China and Pakistan that it has not had to face before. It will be an interesting time in Central and South Asia now with all of these political alignments.

xav

Post by xav »

MDL Delivers “Visakhapatnam” – First P15B Destroyer To Indian Navy
Indian shipbuilder Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) delivered the first P15B Guided Missile Destroyer (DDG) to the Indian Navy on 28 October 2021 in Mumbai.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... dian-navy/

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

This just popped up on my youtube suggestions....August 2022 :thumbup: Does Anybody know if any decision/news on IAC 2 ?

2HeadsBetter
United Kingdom

Post by 2HeadsBetter »

I had a full head of hair when that was first launched.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

And it did get rusty while 'overstaying' in the dock :)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I always have issues when dealing with India. It has millions living in severe poverty in slums and is a recipient of aid, yet it is able to build Aircraft Carriers and have both a substantial nuclear programme and a space programme.

Saying that it will be good to see Mig-29s finally begin to fly of the carrier.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Lord Jim wrote: will be good to see Mig-29s finally begin to fly of the carrier.
An ex-Navy chief said on an Indian daily that they won't be buying any more of those as every arrested landing needs some remedial work afterwards... easy to make a navy plane into something else but v.v does not hold

This does not mean that the plane in itself was bad (Russia buying quite a few for their AF cause they, too, have been losing numbers by going for the top-top designs).

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: An ex-Navy chief said on an Indian daily that they won't be buying any more of those as every arrested landing needs some remedial work afterwards... easy to make a navy plane into something else but v.v does not hold

This does not mean that the plane in itself was bad (Russia buying quite a few for their AF cause they, too, have been losing numbers by going for the top-top designs).
Yeah the IN aren't happy with MiG-29K, the main reason Russia went for MiG-29K over Su-33 was (so i hear) to do with carrier capacity and cost. At least it gave them a moderate starting point for deriving requirements for MRCBF but there's so many damn acronyms in Indian programs it can be a bit of a mess.

The wider Russian enterprise is moving away from the MiG design which is highlighted by the lacklustre support for MiG-35. Seems like they mainly were backing it to maintain a 'low cost' export offering, the RuAF is becoming a Flanker force with all the associated pros and cons.