Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Dahedd

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Dahedd »

As a very long time lurker over on MP.net I wish this new site the best of success. I found the QE carrier thread to be incredibly educational. My thanks to all the contributors.

I wish this thread & forum all the best ( can't say I'm impressed by the mpnet replacement so far) I'll go back to lurking now.

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Post by WhitestElephant »

Is there any clarity on delivery and commission dates? There has been a great deal of conflicting info in published material, especially since the switch back to STOVL and F-35B.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Watch the bridge for HMS Prince of Wales leaving its dock hall in Govan for the first time and departing Glasgow on a delivery journey to Rosyth.

Known as Upper Block 07 or the Forward Island, this section is where HMS PRINCE OF WALES will be commanded atop the flight deck. As the main hub of the ship it contains the bridge and approximately 100 vital mission systems compartments.

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

WhitestElephant wrote:Is there any clarity on delivery and commission dates? There has been a great deal of conflicting info in published material, especially since the switch back to STOVL and F-35B.
QNLZ is due to begin Sea Trials in August 2016 before entering Portsmouth in December 2016. The plan is she will formally commission in May 2017.

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

Dahedd wrote:As a very long time lurker over on MP.net I wish this new site the best of success. I found the QE carrier thread to be incredibly educational. My thanks to all the contributors.

I wish this thread & forum all the best ( can't say I'm impressed by the mpnet replacement so far) I'll go back to lurking now.
Don't lurk. Ask questions. There are a lot of smart, experienced people here with knowledge to pass on if you only ask.
"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now . . ."

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

Great to see you all! The thread is getting the same "feel" as previously, so we're off to a flying start.

Old RN
South Africa

Post by Old RN »

The UK election early results show a Conservative led government. The only hard statements on defence is Trident and commissioning both QE and PoW. :D

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Old RN wrote:The UK election early results show a Conservative led government. The only hard statements on defence is Trident and commissioning both QE and PoW. :D
Their manifesto also promises to preserve the army at 82.000, and keep the Reserves target at 35.000 all services. Apache CSP, FRES Scout and Type 26 are also promised, but without details on numbers. They reaffirm the 10-year budget, with 1% annual boost for equipment.
In Plymouth, Fallon has promised no more Royal Navy cuts, and 13 Type 26. We shall see. Manifesto-wise, it is far better than the non-committments in the Labour document. But promises must be kept. Until then, they can't be taken much more seriously than the SDSR 2010 which, i will never let that slip, promised an army of 94.000 regulars and other things which were actually gone in the following 10 months, including two of the six Point class RoRo ships.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

Gabriele wrote:
Old RN wrote:The UK election early results show a Conservative led government. The only hard statements on defence is Trident and commissioning both QE and PoW. :D
Their manifesto also promises to preserve the army at 82.000, and keep the Reserves target at 35.000 all services. Apache CSP, FRES Scout and Type 26 are also promised, but without details on numbers. They reaffirm the 10-year budget, with 1% annual boost for equipment.
In Plymouth, Fallon has promised no more Royal Navy cuts, and 13 Type 26. We shall see. Manifesto-wise, it is far better than the non-committments in the Labour document. But promises must be kept. Until then, they can't be taken much more seriously than the SDSR 2010 which, i will never let that slip, promised an army of 94.000 regulars and other things which were actually gone in the following 10 months, including two of the six Point class RoRo ships.
I clearly don't know much about British politics, but it would seem to me that even the left would see the logic in: a) upgrading the national security posture; b) maintaining the industrial base, and; c) the jobs, both high tech and not so much, that these programs represent. Even the most liberal Democrat in this country tends to see the logic in that proposition. Let us hope that enough like-minded people among the many parties that dot the political landscape in the UK can come together to see these programs through.

-Eddie-
United Kingdom

Post by -Eddie- »

Reading on another UK military themed forum (guess) a well informed poster commented how often former Business Secretary Vince Cable (Lib Dem) would not support any British defence export efforts. Now he's gone so hopefully we'll get our exports back in order.
/OT

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Gabriele wrote:
Not just the army but the entire armed forces. They referred to them collectively, not just the army.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

WhitestElephant wrote:
Gabriele wrote:
Not just the army but the entire armed forces. They referred to them collectively, not just the army.
In speeches, yes. The manifesto document mentions only the army. Hopefully not a sign of dirty tricks...
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Gabriele wrote:
In speeches, yes. The manifesto document mentions only the army. Hopefully not a sign of dirty tricks...
The manifesto words it as such " We will maintain the size of the regular armed services and not reduce the army to below 82,000"

I feel that is a clear commitment to the armed forces as an entirety, but with added emphasis and clarity that the army will not be reduced below 82,000.

Maintaining the size of the regular armed services could mean in terms of squadrons and ships for the RAF and Navy, but personnel for the Army.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

desertswo wrote:I clearly don't know much about British politics, but it would seem to me that even the left would see the logic in: a) upgrading the national security posture; b) maintaining the industrial base, and; c) the jobs, both high tech and not so much, that these programs represent. Even the most liberal Democrat in this country tends to see the logic in that proposition. Let us hope that enough like-minded people among the many parties that dot the political landscape in the UK can come together to see these programs through.
The SNP might give you a nasty surprise with their willingness to destroy a country just to grab a boasting point.

These are the people who wanted to kill off our entire submarine industry forever, UK wide, just to try and get some cheap votes in a referendum that never should have happened to begin with.

They are also the party that once seriously said they would cheapen air defence of the country's airspace by replacing Typhoons with Sea-kings equipped with Stinger missiles.

ANd this is the party who has 56 of Scotland's 58 seats now...

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

RetroSicotte wrote:
desertswo wrote:I clearly don't know much about British politics, but it would seem to me that even the left would see the logic in: a) upgrading the national security posture; b) maintaining the industrial base, and; c) the jobs, both high tech and not so much, that these programs represent. Even the most liberal Democrat in this country tends to see the logic in that proposition. Let us hope that enough like-minded people among the many parties that dot the political landscape in the UK can come together to see these programs through.
The SNP might give you a nasty surprise with their willingness to destroy a country just to grab a boasting point.

These are the people who wanted to kill off our entire submarine industry forever, UK wide, just to try and get some cheap votes in a referendum that never should have happened to begin with.

They are also the party that once seriously said they would cheapen air defence of the country's airspace by replacing Typhoons with Sea-kings equipped with Stinger missiles.

ANd this is the party who has 56 of Scotland's 58 seats now...
Yeah, I was sort of paying attention to that one. Their leadership clearly have gone around the bend.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

I'd smash sturgeon though, I have really low standards and done much worse in Joannas, Elgin. Probs a fair bit of work to get her juiced up! ;)

Think Defence
United Kingdom

Post by Think Defence »

All you would need to do is wear a tartan jock strap and whisper sweet referendums in her ear :)

Is it Friday?
http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/ - A blog about UK Defence and Security Issues, and containers

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Sea Kings with Stingers Wtf :o When & by what tit was that suggested ??

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

downsizer wrote:I'd smash sturgeon though, I have really low standards and done much worse in Joannas, Elgin. Probs a fair bit of work to get her juiced up! ;)

God's man why the hell would you venture into that Shite Hole?? I've lived in Forres for 8 years & have avoided the place like the plague.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Sturgeon.... God bless all who sail in her.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Hi guys

Does any body know when the SDSR 2015 will start/finish? like everybody else I'm eager to see what happens but I want to be optimistic about defence spending in the new parliament, really hoping the 1% equipment increase can start the ball rolling on the T26 program, F35 commitment & fingers crossed on a new maritme patrol aircraft in a few years time, I do hope they give the scott's devo-max type powers sooner rather than later then hopefully that will Quell down the SNP voices....also glad we have got a firm commitment to 4 ssbn's instead of 3, even if I'm not 100% convinced in the MAD philosophy (99%!)

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Dahedd wrote:
downsizer wrote:I'd smash sturgeon though, I have really low standards and done much worse in Joannas, Elgin. Probs a fair bit of work to get her juiced up! ;)

God's man why the hell would you venture into that Shite Hole?? I've lived in Forres for 8 years & have avoided the place like the plague.
Target rich environment.

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

The ships will be brought into service now. Its Air wing that needs built up. So by the mid to late 2020s they will be effective carriers

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Could we please keep the discussion on the topic of the Queen Elizabeth class ships please. Other threads exist in this forum for other topics.