Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
serge750
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by serge750 »

:lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: would be good !! love the little sign infront if the phalanx !!!

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

When does the QE get her 30mm cannon, out of interest.

Max Jones
United Kingdom

Post by Max Jones »

bobp wrote:When does the QE get her 30mm cannon, out of interest.
I think that's also this year. might be at the same time as the last Phalanx.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Is it confirmed that the QE class will even get 30mm CIWS?

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

PhillyJ wrote:Is it confirmed that the QE class will even get 30mm CIWS?
Good question it was in the original plans.

Title:
Supply of 12 x 30MM Gun Systems.

Reference number: IGMR/00030
II.1.2)
Main CPV code
35300000 Weapons, ammunition and associated parts
II.1.3)
Type of contract
Supplies
II.1.4)
Short description:
IGMR PT, part of the UK Ministry of Defence, intends to award a contract for the supply of 12 x 30mm Calibre Gun Systems to MSI Defence Systems Ltd (MSI-DSL) for Queen Elizabeth and Mars Tankers 1-4.

II.1.6)
Information about lots
This contract is divided into lots: no
II.1.7)
Total value of the procurement (excluding VAT)
Value excluding VAT: 16 500 000.00 GBP

Its also worth noting none have been fitted to the Tide Class Tankers yet either.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

The photos show that the platforms for them are still there. I assume they would be newly manufactured weapons so maybe waiting on MSI-DS?

Oooooo maybe they will come with LMM attached, wouldn't that be nice!

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Ron5 wrote:The photos show that the platforms for them are still there. I assume they would be newly manufactured weapons so maybe waiting on MSI-DS?

Naughty, you know full well that such optimism (even in jest) is misplaced in these matters

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

I'm so sorry @dmereifield, I am in such a good mood today I will go and post another happy thought that's just occurred to me :D :D

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Anybody in the area tomorrow morning and got nowt to do? Pop along to the Gosport side of the harbour and watch a cold winding of PWLS. Nipper not happy, on 3 weeks leave but still called in to help out, his other option was to help his older sister move to Army accomadation so who knows! I guess they need to suntan the rest of the ship as going Bows S now. He needs to be in by 0600, according to QHM website it all starts at 0800 but can go on for a while. Might pop down and put it as an 'external interview' as before, he is in the boat bay watching lines so might get to see him on the turn. 8-)

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

PhillyJ wrote:Nipper not happy, on 3 weeks leave but still called in
Sorry to hear that, but that is life in the Forces.

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

dmereifield wrote:
Ron5 wrote:The photos show that the platforms for them are still there. I assume they would be newly manufactured weapons so maybe waiting on MSI-DS?

Naughty, you know full well that such optimism (even in jest) is misplaced in these matters
Ah, but why not go whole hog...

2 x 57mm Bofors (starboard fore and aft)
3 x Phalanx
3 x 30mm + Martlet
48 x Sea Ceptor

See I stopped myself from fitting Sylver A50 with Aster-30.... That would clearly be a step too far :D

In all seriousness, am still curious if 40mm Bofors is being introduced for Type 31, where else could it be used and what could it replace?

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Never thought about the 40mm from the T31 instead of the 30mm, perhaps the MOD / navy are considering their options, hence the delay ? if it is a delay ?

What is the cost compared to the 30mm ?

would they fit martlet to the mount aswell in the future ?

What are the benefits, fire rate, stopping power etc ?

As for the sea Ceptor - yes please but too much money at the moment :cry:

Perhaps they could could "borrow" the land captor version from the army in a "Hot" scenario & park them on the deck ? I am sure they could find space :lol:

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

serge750 wrote:Never thought about the 40mm from the T31 instead of the 30mm, perhaps the MOD / navy are considering their options, hence the delay ? if it is a delay ?

What is the cost compared to the 30mm ?

would they fit martlet to the mount aswell in the future ?

What are the benefits, fire rate, stopping power etc ?

As for the sea Ceptor - yes please but too much money at the moment :cry:

Perhaps they could could "borrow" the land captor version from the army in a "Hot" scenario & park them on the deck ? I am sure they could find space :lol:
Gunnery is not a strong point of mine. There are definitely better informed types around these parts to answer those questions!

However I am pretty certain the 40mm Bofors can't accomate Martlet as the proposed upgrade for the MSI 30mm involved replacing the optional gunners seat with a 5-cell missile magazine.

Also been said on here that it might be possible to up-gun the 30mm to a 40mm barrel, which if it kept the option for Martlet seems a good comprimise.

I can see the logic for the 57mm in RN service (two per Type 31 please) and I can see the argument for switching from 30mm to 40mm, what I'm confused by is the need to operate all three plus the 20mm Phalanx and the fancy new 5" MK45 mod 4 on the Type 26. Seems excessive for a navy of our size.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

My one comment is that the 57mm turret is surprisingly large. Probably needs nearly as much space as a Mk8 or Mk 45.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Ron5 wrote:My one comment is that the 57mm turret is surprisingly large. Probabliy needs nearly as much space as a Mk8 or Mk 45.
Partly yes, because it includes large magazines for ammo within the turret. Its total weight is much lower, so it can be carried even on a fast missile craft.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Jensy wrote:I can see the logic for the 57mm in RN service (two per Type 31 please) and I can see the argument for switching from 30mm to 40mm, what I'm confused by is the need to operate all three plus the 20mm Phalanx and the fancy new 5" MK45 mod 4 on the Type 26. Seems excessive for a navy of our size.
We need to see how it will go, but it is clear that T31 carries many "non-exiting in current RN" equipments.

- Thales N110 3D AESA radar
- 57mm gun
- 2x 40 mm gun
- TACTICOS CMS

All are not familiar with RN. It will be very interesting to see if these equipments be "going to be spread-out" in other RN assets.

But, these equipments are actually kinda common worldwide. Also, T31 is to be "forward deployed". Although just a guess, are T31 going to rely on (allies or) PFI-ing the logistics? In this point of view, 57 mm commonly used can find support depo world wide. N110, if considered as SMART-S successor, will also have many support teams worldwide. TACTICOS, the same. 40 mm gun is less so (in view of 3P), but as a "gun", yes its support depo exists worldwide. I personally think PFI will be considered. It is relatively easy for the companies world wide.

On this regard, I can happily push CAMM and LMM-added 30mm MSI-round for CVF, but not much about the other equipments. If CVF has 24 CAMM and 3-6 30mm MSI+LMM, in addition to current 3x 20mm CIWS and SeaSentor torpedo-decoy, I think it will have good armaments/equipments to handle "leaking ASMs" and "camouflaged attack boats", which I think are the two major threats to CVF.

# Other "heavy" threats can be handled in distance (majority of ASM, surface ships, aircrafts, missile boats, majority of SSN/SSKs, majority of swarm boats) or must be avoided (mines). But, a few ASM, a few torpedoes, and a fisher-boats camouflaged ambushed terrorists may "leak", on which CVF itself must counter.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Jensy wrote:I can see the logic for the 57mm in RN service (two per Type 31 please) and I can see the argument for switching from 30mm to 40mm, what I'm confused by is the need to operate all three plus the 20mm Phalanx and the fancy new 5" MK45 mod 4 on the Type 26. Seems excessive for a navy of our size.
The RN is set to have from around 2026

127 mm , 114 mm , 57 mm , 40 mm , 30 mm, 20 mm , Phalanx 20 mm maybe just maybe we could cut 114 mm , 40 mm, 30 mm, 20 mm and with the savings in logistics and support. Fit 3 x 57 mm on type 45 and type 31 and 2 x 57 mm on type 26 and the carriers plus 1 x 57mm on the OPV's and future MHC's plus the LPD and RFA's . All ships fitted with Phalanx would keep it

For the carriers fit the 57mm port and starboard given them 170 degree arks of fire each side with the Phalanx's picking up the rest

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Found a 1/700 scale (40 cm long) model of QE, by a Japanese builder named Black637 (Twitter: @Black63721)
The detailing is exquisite.
More: https://twitter.com/Black63721

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Wow! :clap:

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Tempest414 wrote:The RN is set to have from around 2026

127 mm , 114 mm , 57 mm , 40 mm , 30 mm, 20 mm , Phalanx 20 mm maybe just maybe we could cut 114 mm , 40 mm, 30 mm, 20 mm and with the savings in logistics and support. Fit 3 x 57 mm on type 45 and type 31 and 2 x 57 mm on type 26 and the carriers plus 1 x 57mm on the OPV's and future MHC's plus the LPD and RFA's . All ships fitted with Phalanx would keep it

For the carriers fit the 57mm port and starboard given them 170 degree arks of fire each side with the Phalanx's picking up the rest
The 30mm comes in two flavours, as well, as the RFA retain some of the older version, the DS30B, along with some 20mm.

The 114mm will fall out of service as the T23s and T45s retire (no point in doing it sooner, I think it would cost more than retaining them). Personally, I think that all the old 30mm and 20mm should be packed away and kept in reserve (for bolting on to STUFT vessels, should the need ever arise). Once stripped down, they should be pretty cheap to preserve. They are also relatively less complex, so probably better suited to the task of arming merchantmen.

However, in future, I believe we should be designing all future vessels around combinations of the 5", the 57mm and the 40mm , with the 30mm ASCG becoming the standard RFA, nuclear transport and small surface craft "main gun" (where even a 40mm turret would be too large or heavy). Since the Bushmaster Mk44 is widely used by the US Army and Navy, there are a number of potential upgrades for the 30mm, like the 40mm SuperShot upgrade mentioned above (River B2's maybe?), and active development of new ammunition types, like airburst rounds for counter-UAV, as well as the UK's bolt-on LMM launcher, so it's far from obsolete yet.

Phalanx should also be retained as it's self-contained bolt-on nature makes for rapid upgrading of a ship's point defence when needed
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

SKB wrote:Found a 1/700 scale (40 cm long) model of QE, by a Japanese builder named Black637 (Twitter: @Black63721)
The detailing is exquisite.
Certainly is, even down to the White Ensign fluttering in the wind at the Stern. :clap:

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

dmereifield wrote:Wow! :clap:
If you look carefully at the model, Philly's boy is leaning against the aft Phalanx checking out the view.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Awsome !!! UK CSG 2021 ?

I really like the Crowsnest merlin, but only 8 x F35b, must be before the usmc come aboard :evil:

Roberto

Post by Roberto »

serge750 wrote:Awsome !!! UK CSG 2021 ?

I really like the Crowsnest merlin, but only 8 x F35b, must be before the usmc come aboard :evil:
You missed the one on the aft elevator so it's 9.
Probably another 27 crammed into the hangar so she's fully loaded.!
What a fantastic model. I also like the way she is sitting low in the water and the boot line isn't too high.
Again... superb craftsmanship.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Click to enlarge:
(Amy Savage/NavyLookout) 14th August 2020
HMS PWLS winding ship on Princess Royal Jetty, Portsmouth this morning. Now bows-south, port side to. Due to sail in September.