Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Repulse »

Nothing new but some interesting context on F35B plans.

https://www.defensenews.com/interviews/ ... equipment/
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

From the interview kindly posted by @Repulse:
We have now established two squadrons: a training unit and a front-line squadron. I’m looking to establish a third squadron, and I think I need at least three, probably four squadrons worth of F-35Bs to work off the carriers.
No "probably" in my mind!
So I’m not in any hurry to get to any final figure in the short term.
Let's hope the world stays at your pace then :roll: Hasn't in the past.
(should the UK buy model A's) It’s been a live topic over the years in the United Kingdom, and to that, I also say: “Never say never.” But that’s a decision for the future, and that’s something that perhaps my successor will come back to.
They never give up do they :cry:
But there is no question that for the Royal Air Force and the Royal Navy, our focus right now is on building sufficient F-35Bs that we can operate from our two carriers, and not be trying to do it with too few aircraft and too few people and putting unnecessary strain on the force.
That's better :thumbup:
getting our Mosquito loyal wingman in service by the end of this decade is my challenge to the team.
That's better yet and a good place to leave :thumbup:

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Getting there :D

Anthony58
United Kingdom

Post by Anthony58 »

Post re F-35 as well as RAF, also on RAF board

Britain’s Royal Air Force chief talks F-35 tally and divesting equipment

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

I wonder how the training for all the new skills we'll need will be managed. I see lots of talk about how we need to learn more but at the same time cut the amount of time we spend in formal training and do more on the job training.
Who is going to teach all these new skills, be interesting to see how we square this particular circle.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Anthony58 wrote:Post re F-35 as well as RAF, also on RAF board

Britain’s Royal Air Force chief talks F-35 tally and divesting equipment

Seems like a pretty carrier-minded man. Nice to see, for a change.

The only thing that bothers me is his attitude of HIM buying the F-35Bs for the carriers. No FSL in that story.
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

abc123 wrote:The only thing that bothers me is his attitude of HIM buying the F-35Bs for the carriers. No FSL in that story.
Like it or not the F-35s are RAF assets. And the RAF aren't going to let the Royal Navy forget it.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

serge750 wrote:For example would the US of been ok overtly in a falklands situation or would the uk if they used a QEC in a Grenada type situation
Easy answer to that. A USMC pilot was attached to a Sea Harrier Squadron during the Falklands. In the rush to embark everyone 'forgot' about it. He was keen to go South. When the powers that be discovered his presence he was swiftly removed at Ascension Island and returned to the UK to his squadrons and his own chagrin. Apparently he had had a lot of air to air experience and was chomping at the bit...

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Timmymagic wrote:
serge750 wrote:For example would the US of been ok overtly in a falklands situation or would the uk if they used a QEC in a Grenada type situation
Easy answer to that. A USMC pilot was attached to a Sea Harrier Squadron during the Falklands. In the rush to embark everyone 'forgot' about it. He was keen to go South. When the powers that be discovered his presence he was swiftly removed at Ascension Island and returned to the UK to his squadrons and his own chagrin. Apparently he had had a lot of air to air experience and was chomping at the bit...
Would love to read about that, was it in a book or something?

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

RichardIC wrote:
abc123 wrote:The only thing that bothers me is his attitude of HIM buying the F-35Bs for the carriers. No FSL in that story.
Like it or not the F-35s are RAF assets. And the RAF aren't going to let the Royal Navy forget it.
That's right but it is the Navies job to keep the pressure on to make sure they are a carrier only asset i.e not giving the RAF time to wonder off with them. Meaning if they do want to do anything other than carrier ops they will need 4 sqn's

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

topman wrote:I wonder how the training for all the new skills we'll need will be managed. I see lots of talk about how we need to learn more but at the same time cut the amount of time we spend in formal training and do more on the job training.
Who is going to teach all these new skills, be interesting to see how we square this particular circle.
Bang on with so few front line sqn's and the high tempo of ops training at this level will be hard. Same old story shave a bit more off training

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Tempest414 wrote:That's right but it is the Navies job to keep the pressure on to make sure they are a carrier only asset i.e not giving the RAF time to wonder off with them. Meaning if they do want to do anything other than carrier ops they will need 4 sqn's
So the worrying concern from the article posted is that the RAF still haven't ruled the F-35A out of the mix, much reduced as we know it's going to be.

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Jdam wrote:
Would love to read about that, was it in a book or something?
I'm pretty sure it comes up in Harrier 809 by Roland White
RichardIC wrote: So the worrying concern from the article posted is that the RAF still haven't ruled the F-35A out of the mix, much reduced as we know it's going to be.
Keeps FCAS guys on their toes I guess, knowing there is a real alternative if they balls it up

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

RichardIC wrote:
Tempest414 wrote:That's right but it is the Navies job to keep the pressure on to make sure they are a carrier only asset i.e not giving the RAF time to wonder off with them. Meaning if they do want to do anything other than carrier ops they will need 4 sqn's
So the worrying concern from the article posted is that the RAF still haven't ruled the F-35A out of the mix, much reduced as we know it's going to be.
Again it is the navies job to stop that and push for more B's I think 60 is the magic number as this allows for max effort of say 25 jets per carrier with this being said if the RAF wanted A's then an order for 40 A's could be made after the 60 B's have been confirmed but which make an order for 100 F-35 or 2/3 of the 138 talked about but the money would have to come from cutting 3 typhoon sqn's or the Tempest budget

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Tempest414 wrote:Again it is the navies job to stop that and push for more B's I think 60 is the magic number as this allows for max effort of say 25 jets per carrier with this being said if the RAF wanted A's then an order for 40 A's could be made after the 60 B's have been confirmed but which make an order for 100 F-35 or 2/3 of the 138 talked about but the money would have to come from cutting 3 typhoon sqn's or the Tempest budget
Realistically to be able to get 24 to sea in an emergency on both carriers we'd need at least 75 (which in practice would mean 72 combat capable due to the 3 ITF aircraft). The dream would be mid-90's. That would give enough for both carriers and a limited expeditionary capability.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

RichardIC wrote:
Wait, I thought that the F-35 is a JOINT asset? :think:
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Navy Lookout) 5th May 2021
Wildcats of 815 Naval Air Squadron taking off in formation as they deployed for 7 months with the Carrier Strike Group on 1st May 2021.
Video: Royal Navy / RNAS Yeovilton

(Navy Lookout) 11th May 2021
HMS Lancaster sailed to join up with HMS Albion and RFA Mounts Bay on the Littoral Response Group (North) deployment to Norway and the Baltic. Video: Portsmouth Proud

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Ron5 wrote:
The V22 looks so good onboard !! maybe they could get painted in Royal Navy colours " no honestly Mr USMC officer they our ours ! :D " or perhaps since the US use our decks maybe get a few as payment.... :lol:

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Well the precedent for Lend-Lease was set during WW2! :mrgreen:

inch

Post by inch »

Well we are best buddies , sure they be happy to donate say 3 to their pals ,they got loads :thumbup:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

We cant go more than 24 hours without an update ;)

Amazing how they can make the QE look small and cramped :wtf:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Which crate contains the Ark of the Covenant?! ^ :twisted:

andrew98
United Kingdom

Post by andrew98 »

You'd have thought they'd have designed some storage areas other than the aircraft hangar.