Type 45 Destroyer (Daring Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
inch

Re: Type 45 Destroyer (Daring Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by inch »

Just wondering if a few episodes like this will urge the mod /RN to fill them extra silos ,I can't see a shooting match but but it does beg the question if it ever happened they so little missiles that would soon be over run in my opinion ,20 aircraft armed with multiple missiles would definitely get through I think , Even if shot down alot of the 20 attacking aircraft ,even arming with a few camm in them silos also would give a better surviving chance I think ?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

What is all the hype Russian warships sail though the English channel all the time with there tracker off and have to be shadowed it is all part of the game typical of Russia to get all billy big bollocks over it

Enigmatically

Post by Enigmatically »

Tempest414 wrote:What is all the hype Russian warships sail though the English channel all the time with there tracker off and have to be shadowed it is all part of the game typical of Russia to get all billy big bollocks over it
The hype is that we don't recognise it as Russian waters, we still recognise it as Ukranian. It is still disputed territory.
And Defender clearly didn't have her tracker turned off (as I would expect for innocent passage). That Russian video was showing Defender's track on an AIS screen

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

The Russians have way over egged this all they needed to do was shadow her across she had her tracker on so clearly was not a threat

So again what is all the hype apart from we are letting them know we are there

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Now if HMS Defender went into the sea of Azov to do a port visit to one of the Ukrainian ports there it would be interesting how Russia responded. They would probably go into fits.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

According to a report in New Scientist, someone spoofed Defender and HNLMS Evertsen’s AIS track last week, to show them as passing within a few kilometres of Sevastopol. Webcam footage shows them moored in Odessa at the same time
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Perhaps Russia Left hand was not communicating with it’s Right hand and as a result attacked the spoof AIS position. :lol:

imperialman
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by imperialman »

MBDA UK has been awarded an 11-year contract to integrate the Common Anti-Air Modular Missile, often referred to as Sea Ceptor, into the Type 45 destroyers’ Sea Viper weapon systems. In addition to this, a 10-year contract with Eurosam will provide a refresh of the Aster 30 missiles that are currently in use. Currently, the Type 45 destroyers use a combination of short-range Aster 15 and long-range Aster 30 anti-air missiles to engage and destroy enemy threats.

To facilitate the introduction of Sea Ceptor (CAMM), a new 24-missile silo will be added in front of the current 48-missile Aster 30 silos, therefore increasing the overall missile capacity of the vessels by 50 per cent. This will result in a total capacity of 72 anti-air missiles per destroyer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/500m ... mmediately

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

imperialman wrote: a new 24-missile silo will be added in front of the current 48-missile Aster 30 silos, therefore increasing the overall missile capacity of the vessels by 50 per cent. This will result in a total capacity of 72 anti-air missiles per destroyer.
Happy Days!

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

imperialman wrote:MBDA UK has been awarded an 11-year contract to integrate the Common Anti-Air Modular Missile, often referred to as Sea Ceptor, into the Type 45 destroyers’ Sea Viper weapon systems. In addition to this, a 10-year contract with Eurosam will provide a refresh of the Aster 30 missiles that are currently in use. Currently, the Type 45 destroyers use a combination of short-range Aster 15 and long-range Aster 30 anti-air missiles to engage and destroy enemy threats.

To facilitate the introduction of Sea Ceptor (CAMM), a new 24-missile silo will be added in front of the current 48-missile Aster 30 silos, therefore increasing the overall missile capacity of the vessels by 50 per cent. This will result in a total capacity of 72 anti-air missiles per destroyer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/500m ... mmediately
Wow, double wow, so they do read this forum :thumbup: :thumbup:

Many thanks for posting @imperialman!

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

imperialman wrote:In addition to this, a 10-year contract with Eurosam will provide a refresh of the Aster 30 missiles that are currently in use.
Hmmm....are they going to turn the Aster 15 into 30's??? All they need to do is change the boosters. With the short-medium range engagements being handled by CAMM (and possibly CAMM-ER)?

That would make a lot of sense...massive boost to the RN's long range SAM stocks and firepower.

"a new 24-missile CAMM silo will be added in front of the current 48-missile Aster 30 silos"...no mention of Aster 15 there...

One other thought...this is so bloody haphazard...we've got T45's just coming out of refits, in dock for PIP and this work won't get carried out then...its a bit of a shambles to be honest.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

JohnM
Donator
United States of America

Post by JohnM »

So, the no-mention of Aster 15 support makes me think the RN may be ditching it for CAMM (and, hopefully, CAMM-ER). I wonder if the Aster 30 support will include the upgrade of the Aster 15 to Aster 30 and inclusion of ABM capability by upgrading to Block 1 NT?

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Wondering if Asters will be updated to Block 1NT which extends capability to intercept 1500 km ballistic missiles from the Block 1's 600 km capability, the French and Italians currently developing the Block 2 to further double the capability to intercept 3,000 km range ballistic missiles by increasing rocket motor dia to 380 mm, the same dia as its booster (Block 1 rocket dia 180 mm).

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

JohnM
Donator
United States of America

Post by JohnM »

SW1 wrote:
Thanks, that clears the Aster 15 question… now I hope they upgrade at least some 30s to Block 1NT…

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

It seems there only going for 24 mushroom cells in the 16 Mk41 position, it seems very short sighted to me where 64 CAMM could of been fitting in the 16 MK41s giving greater load out and flexible all be it at greater coast or even 60 CAMM in 15 stand alone EXcL cells.

I don’t understand why the RN seems to so adverse to introducing EXcL to use CAMM to its fullest, Canadian is biting the bullet on its T26s but we seem to be obsessed with the inefficient mushroom set up.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

JohnM wrote:Thanks, that clears the Aster 15 question… now I hope they upgrade at least some 30s to Block 1NT…
It doesn't really. It doesn't tell us if the Aster 15 are being converted as part of their re-life to Aster 30. That would effectively double RN long range missile stocks (and given that we don't have a full re-load for each T45 that matters...). If they are doing that in addition to CAMM (and fingers crossed eventually CAMM-ER) that would be a massive boost for the RN.

We're actually not that bad at stocks of munitions (suspect only the US and Chinese maintain really, really healthy stocks of guided munitions), particularly in comparison to other European nations, but if we could increase our total SAM stockpile by 50% almost at a stroke and increase our long range missile stockpile at the same time it would be a really welcome development.

GarethDavies1
United Kingdom

Post by GarethDavies1 »

This is good news, I assume the Type 45s will need to be fitted with the same datalinks that's been installed on the Type 23s??

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Jake1992 wrote:I don’t understand why the RN seems to so adverse to introducing EXcL to use CAMM to its fullest, Canadian is biting the bullet on its T26s but we seem to be obsessed with the inefficient mushroom set up.
RN seems to think that its 'Mushroom Farm' is more resistant to shock and other environmental factors.

It will be interesting to see if the Sea Ceptor cells are protected by an extended barrier, from the Sylver VLS farm. The T23's Sea Ceptor installation gets similar environmental protection in the old Sea Wolf installation, if so that might actually affect the firing arcs of the 4.5. Might alter the appearance of the T45 some more...not sure if the Mk.41's were ever going to be included in that if installed.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Timmymagic wrote:It doesn't tell us if the Aster 15 are being converted as part of their re-life to Aster 30.
Aster 15 is identical to Aster 30. Only the booster is different. Unbolt one booster and replace with a bigger one.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Timmymagic wrote:It doesn't really. It doesn't tell us if the Aster 15 are being converted as part of their re-life to Aster 30.
Maybe they're going to use them all up as fireworks if England win the Euro's.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Ron5 wrote:Aster 15 is identical to Aster 30. Only the booster is different. Unbolt one booster and replace with a bigger one
This is the key question. No mention of the Aster 15 being re-lifed to Aster 30 standard. If we are...its a massive development.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

This seems like good news, its an unfamiliar feeling.

"added in front of the current 48-missile" I take it this is a mistake as it will be in between the current launchers?

Some thoughts:

It very interesting as it shows the thought process by the navy is to increase the amount of missiles on the ship by as much as they can with the space available rather than adapting the current launchers. Quad packing the missiles would mean less Aster 30's but it really seems the navy feels the need for all 48 Aster 30 missiles.

The shared stockpile comments I think means we will not be switching to CAAM ER, makes sense I guess that what Aster 30's are for.

So the Type 45's are going to be in dock with the power and propulsion update and now they are going to be in dock to fit the mushroom launchers? Hopefully we can do it with the existing power and propulsion update and catch Dauntless at a later date.

I wonder if it will be mushrooms or the type 26 style launchers maybe?

Truth be told I think we would all be happy with quad packing the existing launchers with CAAM getting 24 more launcher is above what I expected.