River Class (OPV) (RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
RichardIC
United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Post by RichardIC »

For the benefit of anyone else who thinks that comparing the French fisheries minister to Hitler is fun.

And Mods, when he whines to you, this is not personal abuse, this is historical fact.

Please delete his original post.

https://www.jerseywartunnels.com/

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

A sequel in the series " we will fight to the last fish"
- the story line equally warped (so far) in all episodes
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Gtal wrote:...fischermen...
Enough said :D
Gtal wrote:the EU has had a enough of the UKs tantrums.
I'm sure you are right but it's petty posturing and sour grapes on behalf of the EU and the rest of the world know it.

The VDL/Macron blend of confrontational politics is a far cry from the moderate diplomacy you would reasonably expect from our nearest neighbours whom we endlessly assured are our closed friends and partners. As I said, it's another serious diplomatic blunder in a long list of recent strategic mistakes by the EU hierarchy.

Back on topic, well done Severn and Tamar :clap:

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Poiuytrewq wrote: Gtal wrote:
...fischermen...

Enough said
May be these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gun_ ... Jersey.JPG could be pressed back into service :?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

The whole fishing mess is far from over. Our shellfish fishing fleet is basically out of work as they can no longer ship fresh shellfish to the EU without spending a ton of cash to clean them, something the customer has been happy to do in the past, because overnight our sea bed no longer met EU regulations.

By the way were Royal Marines actually on board the Rivers or was that just propaganda? I like how some of the French Fishermen said they were ready to recreate the Battle of Trafalgar around St Helier, don't they know who won that one! :D

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Lord Jim wrote:Our shellfish fishing fleet is basically out of work as they can no longer ship fresh shellfish to the EU without spending a ton of cash to clean them, something the customer has been happy to do in the past, because overnight our sea bed no longer met EU regulations.
Be interesting what happens now that a substantial portion of English waters have now been declared Class "A". Le's see what further "non-tariff barriers" spring up.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Gtal
Germany

Post by Gtal »

Poiuytrewq wrote:
Gtal wrote:...fischermen...
Enough said :D
Gtal wrote:the EU has had a enough of the UKs tantrums.
I'm sure you are right but it's petty posturing and sour grapes on behalf of the EU and the rest of the world know it.

The VDL/Macron blend of confrontational politics is a far cry from the moderate diplomacy you would reasonably expect from our nearest neighbours whom we endlessly assured are our closed friends and partners. As I said, it's another serious diplomatic blunder in a long list of recent strategic mistakes by the EU hierarchy.

Back on topic, well done Severn and Tamar :clap:

Yeah I live in Germany, I'm still a Brit. Guess what, I've lived on the continent for about 20 years and I never ever thought about getting naturalized until 2016..

But because I'm a Brit living outside the UK I can actually differentiate between facts, opinions and preceptions.

The UK is refusing to fulfilll its treaty obligations and not even offering reasonable alternatives.
On fisheries, if the UK fails to deliver it's end of the bargain the treaty provides for sweeping unilateral retaliation in other areas. One of those areas is energy.
The french are just reminding the UK how much leverage the TCA ( that Johnson signed and hailed) gives the EU.
No posturing there.
The UK on the other side sent gunboats against private fishermen protesting. If anything about this incident can be described as posturing it's the UK sending in the Navy.

Or look at the media in the UK and France reacting. On one side there were blustering militaristic frontpage headlines, on the other there were limited articles detailing the substance of the disagreement, often not on the first page.

No offence, but it's really a bit worrying how things are being seen in the UK. It really is all a bit too reminiscent of what's going on in the US media and public discourse.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Someones really been drinking the coolaid
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Gtal wrote: The UK on the other side sent gunboats against private fishermen protesting. If anything about this incident can be described as posturing it's the UK sending in the Navy.
They're part of the (now renamed but same remit) Fishery Protection Squadron, heaven forbid they actually get used for the job they're tasked with!

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Gtal wrote:Or look at the media in the UK and France reacting. On one side there were blustering militaristic frontpage headlines, on the other there were limited articles detailing the substance of the disagreement, often not on the first page.
The UK media has over egged this however sending the two River class OPV's which serve in the Fisheries Protection Squadron to a protest action by 50+ fishing boats can hardly be seen as a over reaction

Also what people over look here is the French protest at everything and I mean everything it is in there DNA

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Navy Lookout) 11th May 2021
See article: https://www.navylookout.com/hms-tamar-p ... nt-scheme/
Video: Portsmouth Proud

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Lovely sight. The ship's complement must be very proud.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

The ship looks fantastic, I wonder if the rest of the Rivers couldn't be painted in the other WWI and WWII camouflage schemes?

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Well Spay is in dry dock right now so we will see soon weather the rest of the rivers will get this paint job

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Tempest414 wrote:Well Spay is in dry dock right now so we will see soon weather the rest of the rivers will get this paint job
Why limit to the Rivers? I say let's give the whole fleet a distinctive paint job.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

HMS Trent going into the Back Sea. Can’t help but think that two Rivers are needed in Gibraltar, one to cover the Mediterranean/Black Sea, the other for the West Coast of Africa.

”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Also if she is going to be messing about in the Black sea she should be fitted with a 40 or 57mm

as for having 2 B2's based in Gib I think if one is needed for West Africa at the same time as one in the Black sea then we send it from the UK

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Tempest414 wrote:Also if she is going to be messing about in the Black sea she should be fitted with a 40 or 57mm
I can't see that making any material difference. In fact, transforming her into something more identifiable as a "warship", might be detrimental to her safety. Following the Russian climb-down over Crimea, this would appear to be a well-judged level of response - military, but non-threatening.
Winston Churchill

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

If it is not safe to go into the Black sea looking like a warship then don't send a warship the 40 or 57mm give better base line air defence and a longer stay off the grass reach I would happy for it to have 5 LMM on the 30mm mount I am not for this pandering around shit if we are going then go if not concede the ground and live with it or as someone once put it so well take a shit or get off the toilet

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Are we gonna shooting Russian ships or aircraft
In the Black Sea? I don’t think so infact was hms enterprise not also in the Black Sea over the past couple of years

For a class of vessel some had a near hysterical breakdown over being built and in RN service, they seems to be being used far and wide on a number of roles and tasks.

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

Would agree the River class are very useful vessels, operating at a level that make a statement but not escalating. Having said that, I would still argue for a 57mm, because it should have a level of self defence that if things started to get warm it could more easily defend itself whilst extracting itself from a situation (and wait for the cavalry).
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

who said anything about shooting Russians it is all about defence it is my view that the only reason the B2's have a 30mm at all is there was nothing else to fit at the time i.e the next weapon up was the 4.5". Back in the day not so long ago the Peacock Class Hong Kong patrol ships had 76mm fitted

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

Tempest414 wrote:as for having 2 B2's based in Gib I think if one is needed for West Africa at the same time as one in the Black sea then we send it from the UK
Disagree, basing another River at Gibraltar gives redundancy, but also removes about 10 days transit (and fuel costs).

The “threat” of China gaining a foothold in the West of Africa is real, and whilst I do not see it escalating into hot conflict, a low level “Cold War” / interference in local stability is quite possible.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Interesting to see it was announced that, HMS Tamar and Spey, BOTH will be assigned for Indo-Pacific forward-basing.

At where? Gulf and Singapore?

from ""