River Class (OPV) (RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Post by Ron5 »

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Thats a Halifax class frigate

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Tempest414 wrote:Thats a Halifax class frigate
Where? All I see is ocean....

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

What ocean?! :mrgreen:

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

"HMS Spey and Tamar to be with Australia, Japan and Singapore".
And it is for 5 years?

So, it is more a east Asia and/or South East Asian deployment than Persian Gulf. They will be based in Singapore? Two OPVs in ASEAN region means, they will perform "peaceful" transit, port-visit, HADR, and fishery protection (already announced that it will do it at Pitcairn Island, at the east-south Pacific.)

Although very lightly armed, two of them will enable always one, and many times two at sea (if the sea going days are kept as high as they do in British water). They will become a "frequent visitor" in the region, showing the UK flag. Not bad, I think :D

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

Being based in Singapore means that they also have easy access to the eastern Indian Ocean. I suspect these two will be busy. Add a forward based Bay with Aviation facilities and perhaps a Wave Class and you got a solid “low level” presence.
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

Repulse wrote:Being based in Singapore means that they also have easy access to the eastern Indian Ocean. I suspect these two will be busy. Add a forward based Bay with Aviation facilities and perhaps a Wave Class and you got a solid “low level” presence.
You could call it a Littoral Response Group.

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

tomuk wrote:You could call it a Littoral Response Group.
You could indeed - however something that is focused towards HADR or anti terrorism.
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Well so far it looks like the 2 year long lethality study only came up with a killer paint job on the 2 ships heading Indo-Pacific unless they get an upgrade in Australia at some point

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

Tempest414 wrote:Well so far it looks like the 2 year long lethality study only came up with a killer paint job on the 2 ships heading Indo-Pacific unless they get an upgrade in Australia at some point
Perhaps it concluded that B2's lethality was sufficient for its role and that investment priorities lay elsewhere.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

J. Tattersall wrote:
Tempest414 wrote:Well so far it looks like the 2 year long lethality study only came up with a killer paint job on the 2 ships heading Indo-Pacific unless they get an upgrade in Australia at some point
Perhaps it concluded that B2's lethality was sufficient for its role and that investment priorities lay elsewhere.
Well they should come out and say that. For me if that was the out come I hope for those who came to that conclusion they are right as the two ship heading to the Indo - Pacific will be facing Type 056 corvettes and type 054a frigates with aggressive commanders

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

Whilst there is a distinct chance of a T45 Black Sea style incident in the South China Sea, it’s unlikely to come to shots being fired unless China is purposely raising the stakes. Even then unless a B2 River is caught in the middle of an invasion of Taiwan, it’s unlikely to come of anything (and if that happens then it would be a Falklands scale of intel mess up).

What worries me more is action from paramilitary / (Chinese backed) non state actors who could harass or seek to damage/sink a ship for publicity using unconventional means. I would still add a 57mm to both to give them better protection and also allow them to keep foes at distance as they retreat from a threat.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

J. Tattersall wrote:
Ah, the do nothing/do minimum option. Always so popular with the CS.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

At least give the sailors on board some HVM so they can point them aggressively if the Chinese get too close.

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

HMS Severn going into Dry Dock #4 today at AP Falmouth… what’s the betting on it coming out with new paint work?

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Repulse wrote:HMS Severn going into Dry Dock #4 today at AP Falmouth… what’s the betting on it coming out with new paint work?
Fingers crossed, it looks a good job on the others so just roll it out to the rest of the class :clap:

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

So one of the MoD's most productive studies then? (I'm being serious, I think).

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Well it is certainly one of the few MoD PR wins over the part decade or so especially in the public domain, and these are even rarer. :D

Old RN
South Africa

Post by Old RN »

I presume that the B2s deployed to the east will carry the shoulder launched version of the LMM and Starstreak?

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

RunningStrong wrote:At least give the sailors on board some HVM so they can point them aggressively if the Chinese get too close.
Yeah, maybe the MoD has some captured RPG-7 to spare?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

No need to capture any - just buy some of these!
https://defensereview.com/airtronic-usa ... -launcher/
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

Old RN wrote:I presume that the B2s deployed to the east will carry the shoulder launched version of the LMM and Starstreak?
RM have previously deployed Starstreak I believe on RN vessels. However this week's fatal attack on the MV Mercer Street should also make one think more not just about air attack but attack by unmanned systems and whether kinetic means is really the best way of countering it?

One certainly can't rule out uparming, but they're not corvettes (& not intended to be) and by all accounts their 30mms, coupled with 7.62mm chain guns, are widely regarded as an appropriate defensive fit for their OPV role. Hence I'd expect any uparming to be modest.(let's face it they are carrying a similar role to USCG medium cuttters)

As for HMSs Spey's and Tamar's upcoming multiyear deployment, I would probably prioritise making sure their information gathering capabilities, ability to interoperate with regional navies (Singaporean, French, RAN, RNZN, USN/USCG) and secure reach back to UK are sufficient before addressing their armaments fit.

Have to say if I were a YO again then serving on these vessels in Info-Pacific would be the bees knees.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

J. Tattersall wrote:by all accounts ...... are widely regarded as an appropriate ...
(cough) bullshit (cough)

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

Ron5 wrote:
J. Tattersall wrote:by all accounts ...... are widely regarded as an appropriate ...
(cough) bullshit (cough)
Ignorance certainly appears blissful! I'm taking that you recommend it?