AW101 Merlin Helicopter (RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
marktigger
United Kingdom

Re: Merlin helicopters

Post by marktigger »

HMMM the mine hunters have used ROV's form many years.

is there a reason other than cost that the military are wary of RO based solutions?

I can think of at least 3

james k
United Kingdom

Post by james k »

The Commando Merlins that were purchased from Denmark have that unusual nose radar/sensor which seems to be shared with the Italian Cesar. Has it been retained? is is operable and what type is it?

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

The sensor is called LOAM and is a laser-based obstacle and wires avoidance system for tactical low flying. I think the HC3A is fit to receive it, but not actually kitted. There was (is?) a programme to fit all British helicopters with their own wire avoidance sensor but i don't know how that is going.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Simon82

Post by Simon82 »

Is that a radar in the bulge above the LOAM window?

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japa ... CF?rpc=401&

Given the apparent (or is that alleged) interest in getting F-35B on board the Izumo's, and that the Japanese already operate AW-101 I wonder if there is the possibility of a possible Crowsnest export customer in the future...any thoughts?

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Timmymagic wrote:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japa ... CF?rpc=401&

Given the apparent (or is that alleged) interest in getting F-35B on board the Izumo's, and that the Japanese already operate AW-101 I wonder if there is the possibility of a possible Crowsnest export customer in the future...any thoughts?
It's a possabilty but I doubt it as they have both E2D Hawkeye and E767 AWACS and have a wish list of using the P1 platform as a deadicated AEW aircraft, I think it's more likely that when the US develops the V22 into AEW that's what they will end up with from the carriers

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

R686 wrote:It's a possabilty but I doubt it as they have both E2D Hawkeye and E767 AWACS and have a wish list of using the P1 platform as a deadicated AEW aircraft, I think it's more likely that when the US develops the V22 into AEW that's what they will end up with from the carriers
Bit of an overwhelming choice for them, but they seem to splash the cash and there is no FFBNW in the Japanese military. Personally I can't see the V-22 being developed as an AWACS platform anytime soon, for the same reason LHD's don't have ski jumps.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Timmymagic wrote: they seem to splash the cash and there is no FFBNW in the Japanese military
What is the choice? With the aging population, the civvy sector short of work force and a gradual, not-so-published retreat from outsourcing to China just adding to such pressures
- manpower it will not be
- hi-tec, yes
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

The Japanese seem to operate under land based air cover as the norm, have to due to constitutional issues. A few F-35s on board a amphib is a small step but it will be more like the USMC with these operating to support their marines rather than as a small carrier. Out of interest, what did the Japanese replace their Boeing/Kawasaki twin rotors with for troop transport? (the CH-46 variants not their newer CH-47)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Lord Jim wrote: A few F-35s on board a amphib is a small step but it will be more like the USMC with these operating to support their marines
The budget detail also gives the purchase of a dozen and a half of the amph. tracked assault vehicles (a company's worth?) so no need to go as far as Hawaii for training in the future... not that anyone would mind going
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

benny14
United Kingdom

Post by benny14 »

One of our Merlins in conjunction with a US P8 found the Turkish submarine TCG PREVEZE on day one of operation Dynamic Manta, it took them 1 and a half hours and they were 120 miles off the coast. During the operation 6 NATO submarines are hiding in the waters around Sicily. We have contributed HMS Duncan with a Wildcat and two land based Merlins.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

benny14 wrote:have contributed HMS Duncan with a Wildcat
Is the Wildcat for the referees of the exercise and the Merlins 'simulate' the TF ASW assets (albeit from land)?

Clive F
United Kingdom

Post by Clive F »

So NATO's "best" asw ship is not represented in a NATO asw exercise! Says it all about our current state.

benny14
United Kingdom

Post by benny14 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Is the Wildcat for the referees of the exercise and the Merlins 'simulate' the TF ASW assets (albeit from land)?
I believe that the Wildcat is conducting its normal duties. Duncan and the rest of its SNMG2 led group are acting as the bait, which the submarines are hunting for. The task force is supported by ASW assets from ashore to protect it and hunt for the submarines. The SNMG2 group has several frigates with it, which Duncan is the task force leader of.

-Eddie-
United Kingdom

Post by -Eddie- »

Merlin Junglie unveiled today, AAR probe still there so I'll be interested to see how it's going to be refuelled by UK assets...

Spinflight
United Kingdom

Post by Spinflight »

Lord Jim wrote: A few F-35s on board a amphib is a small step but it will be more like the USMC with these operating to support their marines rather than as a small carrier.
The details escape me but it would be rather a big step diplomatically and constitutionally. Even from their cardboard built 'Helicopter Destroyers'.

They did change the constitution fairly recently though not in such a way I think.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

With maritime capability does that mean it has anti salt water corrosion treatment so it does not have to be stowed below ? or is the clean deck still the guideline for carriers

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

that probe is interesting!
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

shark bait wrote:that probe is interesting!
France bought some of their Herc J's with refuelling kits (and we plan to keep some of our planes to 2030).
http://www.eliteukforces.info/uk-milita ... er-aar.php
There are more Merlin capable helo decks to launch SF missions from than there are such for Chinooks.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Can't put a Herc on a carrier though, and if you can base it close enough, just use the Herc!
@LandSharkUK

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Lakenheath might hold a few surprises, imagine unmarked MV-22s co-located with the USAFs SOG that happen to be flown by AAC pilots in non descript uniforms and wearing beards!

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Unfortunately the SOG is based in Mildenhall and will leave the UK in the coming years, with the whole base closing in the first half of the 2020s unless there is a big change of plans.

The 100th Air Refueling Wing would also leave, making the agreement for use of its boom-equipped tankers in support of Rivet Joint (and in future Poseidon?) less effective. If it all goes to Ramstain, well. Things will change somewhat, even though tankers do travel a lot, obviously...
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

My bad, I thought they were or had transferred part of the SOG from Mildenhall to Lakenheath. I thought this was because the three F-15 squadrons appear to be replaced by two squadrons of F-35As so there was spare capacity at the base, or are some of the F-15s (probably the Es) going to remain alongside the Lightnings?

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Moved the C130 posts to the C130 topic. Back to Merlin please.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

https://www.defensenews.com/global/the- ... Socialflow

Looks like there's some augmenting in the offing.

Could keep the production line at Yeovil on life support for a little longer.