Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.

Which Anti-Ship Missile Should be Selected for the Type 26?

Lockheed Martin LRASM
52%
Kongsberg NSM
25%
Boeing Harpoon Next Gen
14%
MBDA Exocet Blk III
7%
None (stick to guided ammo and FASGW from Helicopters)
3%

Total votes: 315

jonas
United Kingdom

Re: Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by jonas »

Parliamentary written answers Sep 9th 2020

https://questions-statements.parliament ... 9-01/83946

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

The snails pace continues....

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Poiuytrewq wrote:The snails pace continues....

I would say Bob the lone builder is doing a great job just think how fast it could be with 2 Bobs

Edit maybe I should have called him Jock the lone builder to keep the SNP happy

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Tempest414 wrote:I would say Bob the lone builder is doing a great job just think how fast it could be with 2 Bobs
A proper hive of activity!

When Babcock start churning the T31's it won't be a good look.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

This is not all of BAE's making HMG have to take there turn in the puddle of shit to

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Tempest414 wrote:I would say Bob the lone builder is doing a great job just think how fast it could be with 2 Bobs
The other Bob took the pictures.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Poiuytrewq wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Slowness is not BAES issue. It is MOD/HMGs issue, as I understand? I shall blame MOD/HMG for investing significantly on T31 = not investing enough on T26, which simply resulted in slowing down the T26 build.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Poiuytrewq wrote:

When Babcock start churning the T31's it won't be a good look.
You wish :D

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

donald_of_tokyo wrote:Slowness is not BAES issue. It is MOD/HMGs issue, as I understand? I shall blame MOD/HMG for investing significantly on T31 = not investing enough on T26, which simply resulted in slowing down the T26 build.
Quite true regarding speed. Actually Araldite Jock & his pal specialize in poor quality. Govan has history on that.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Especially if one worker in two scives off to take photographs, have a fag or whatever. :mrgreen:

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

This is what REAL investment looks like.
Very Impressive :clap:

andrew98
United Kingdom

Post by andrew98 »

Maybe the Aussies can build us a few for cheap on their hot production line? :twisted:

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Poiuytrewq wrote:This is what REAL investment looks like.
Who owns this infrastructure? Assets in Osborne, used for DDG build, was own by government and leased to ASC (the consortium for the build program), as I understand. In this case, who own this?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Will have to wait for our Ozzie correspondents to wake up :) for the answer, but I remember that before that lease took effect the repair yard was separated (and someone else operates it as a going concern, whereas the lease may or may not be renewed - depending on future projects).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

donald_of_tokyo wrote:Who owns this infrastructure? Assets in Osborne, used for DDG build, was own by government and leased to ASC (the consortium for the build program), as I understand. In this case, who own this?
I was under the impression that BAE invested in the infrastructure via ASC shipbuilding but maybe some of our Australian members could shed some light on the overall ownership of the Osborne facility.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Poiuytrewq wrote:This is what REAL investment looks like.
Pish. Wait until you see Babcock's Type 31, 21st century build facility: "yon bloo shed by t'bike racks".

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Of course the biggest question this thread has thrown up is ..

... is it Aussie or Ozzie ?

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Meanwhile in Glasgow.....

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ron5 wrote:is it Aussie or Ozzie ?
They made me switch in the 80s... written word lives its own life (LJ thinks I am a great Shakespearean :D in that regard; does it mean behind the times :think: ? )
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

This is part of the mission bay according to Bae........

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Holy moly, the Bob's are breeding, I see 7 of the little fellers. Aww how cute.

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Ron5 wrote:Holy moly, the Bob's are breeding, I see 7 of the little fellers. Aww how cute.
Should have gone to specsavers !. Middle top left is another of the little chaps, they are really pulling the stoppers out now.

BlueD954
Singapore

Post by BlueD954 »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-a ... nership--2

UK and Australia commit to shipbuilding partnership
Australia and the UK have further strengthened their enduring defence relationship by signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to cooperate on building and delivering the next generation of cutting-edge frigates.

The MoU signed this week re-enforces the two countries’ commitment to working together on delivering these important high-profile national programmes and exploiting mutual opportunities. A key aspect of the MOU is a pledge on information exchange to ensure shipbuilding best practice is shared and that both frigate programmes deliver world beating maritime capabilities to the Royal Navy and Royal Australian Navy.

The agreement also sets out a framework to enable both nations to utilise the T26 and Hunter programmes to create jobs and contribute to the growth of the UK and Australian economies, seeking to support small and medium-sized enterprises.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said:
The UK and Australia have always been natural allies. This agreement demonstrates this Government’s ongoing commitment to the Type 26 shipbuilding programme whilst supporting our Australian allies to design and build the Hunter class frigate.

As we look to the future of our respective navies, our shared continued cooperation will benefit our close alliance and support the industrial supply chain to grow each nation’s shipbuilding sectors.

The UK’s defence relationship with Australia is based on deep historical and cultural ties, reinforced by strong operational cooperation.

From working together in defence operations around the world and to the broader shared interest in safeguarding the rules‑based global order, UK and Australia continue to invest in their long-standing alliance.

In his role as Shipbuilding Tsar, the Defence Secretary is actively reinvigorating UK shipbuilding. This role brings together other government departments to shape policies and strategies and to ensure British shipbuilding thrives.

Australian Minister for Defence, the Hon Linda Reynolds CSC said:
There are currently seven Australian companies contracted for work on the UK’s Type 26 programmes and this agreement supports the close co-operation between UK and Australian industry.

We are already seeing the benefits of cooperation on the two programmes, with Australian workers involved in the Type 26 build ready to come home and help build the Hunter class frigates in South Australia. The Australian Government is committed to delivering a continuous naval shipbuilding programme and the Hunter and Type 26 programmes provide a great opportunity to capitalise on our shared industrial capability with the UK.

The MoU will support the successful delivery of Australia’s Hunter Class Frigate Programme, while also growing key defence capabilities in Australia”.

Prototyping for the Hunter Class Frigate Programme will begin by the end of 2020.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

BlueD954 wrote:In his role as Shipbuilding Tsar, the Defence Secretary is actively reinvigorating UK shipbuilding. This role brings together other government departments to shape policies and strategies and to ensure British shipbuilding thrives.
Is this his first? The others having been used to bring Boris onto the stage with positive messages... like reopening a ship yard