Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.

Which Anti-Ship Missile Should be Selected for the Type 26?

Lockheed Martin LRASM
52%
Kongsberg NSM
25%
Boeing Harpoon Next Gen
14%
MBDA Exocet Blk III
7%
None (stick to guided ammo and FASGW from Helicopters)
3%

Total votes: 315

Jdam
United Kingdom

Re: Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by Jdam »

Is that common on surface ships?

imperialman
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by imperialman »

Jdam wrote:Is that common on surface ships?
I've never seen it before but it's what I was told at the Clyde.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

imperialman wrote:Acoustic tiles.
Had a closer look and i believe that you are right.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

bobp wrote:
They're a lot more visible on the picture of the starboard view posted upthread by Donald.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Pseudo wrote:
bobp wrote:
They're a lot more visible on the picture of the starboard view posted upthread by Donald.
Some more photos, from UKDJ.

Do many other surface ships feature acoustic dampening features on the hull (the black area with a matte texture) like the Type 26 Frigate does?
ref: ""

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Seems way too early in the build process to be fixing tiles .... color me skeptical.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Ron5 wrote:Seems way too early in the build process to be fixing tiles .
We all know that she will be sitting in the water for several years before going into dry dock to have the sonar fitted to the bow. And a possible repaint. Maybe they need to test the Airfix glue.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

With the length of time that it is taking for Airfix to make a QEC model, I won’t hold my breath for the delivery of a T26 model. Any “Airfix Glue” that I might had would long since have gone solid. :mrgreen:

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

From Navy Lookout

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

What?! No London bus infographics?! :o :mrgreen:

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Wonder if they're the exact same type that Submarines get or if they're a slightly different design. Submarines tiles are designed to absorb sonar energy from enemy sonar and deaden sound from within. The role these would appear to fill is primarily to reduce sound from the propulsion.

Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Timmymagic wrote:
Wonder if they're the exact same type that Submarines get or if they're a slightly different design. Submarines tiles are designed to absorb sonar energy from enemy sonar and deaden sound from within. The role these would appear to fill is primarily to reduce sound from the propulsion.
Would they not be best on the inside of the Hull then...

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Nice video/Diary from "NavyLookout"

https://www.navylookout.com/the-first-t ... -together/

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

A view from Bob's office.....

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

And some more pictures here...

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Sure looks like tiles now they've taken the plastic off ...

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Ron5 wrote:Sure looks like tiles now they've taken the plastic off ...
Absolutely. I've not heard of surface ships being fitted with tiles before, but there was a note on the UKDJ tweet from someone that said that HMCS Montreal (Halifax Class) was fitted with tiles. Looks like she received them in her first refit period in 1997, probably as a test. 12,500 tiles fitted, but it looks like it wasn't a massive success as no further Halifax Class received them. Not sure if they're still there (probably unlikely after 20 odd years if they weren't successful), and I can't find any imagery of them.

So presumably the situation has changed if the RN thinks they're now worthwhile...given that the machinery in a T26 has every quietening measure possible already installed (at enormous cost), perhaps this is the only way to reduce radiated noise further.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Any reason to put the tiles on now rather than when she is being fitted out in Scotstoun in dry dock?

Halidon
United States of America

Post by Halidon »

Roberto wrote:
Timmymagic wrote:
Would they not be best on the inside of the Hull then...
I take no stance on what's going on with T26, but an acoustic decoupling layer is most effective outside the hull, and an anechoic layer is only useful outside the hull. So acoustic tiles, whether optimized for one or both, are always outside a hull.

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

BAe has now finished risk mitigation study of possible Indyref2. MoD will not allow non UK shipyard to build 'warships'. As a result options are now being prepared to move up to 800 jobs in design and advanced material research/manufacture to CL and Barrow. They are also now looking at an all England/Wales supply chain to prevent similar disruption. These changes will come into force if a second referendum is announced or if a wildcat referendum takes place.

Source: well placed but unwilling to allow name to be released.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Jdam wrote:Any reason to put the tiles on now rather than when she is being fitted out in Scotstoun in dry dock?
My only guess is that they needed to be attached under cover and as the hull won't be undercover again, they had to do it in the shed.

Or maybe Bob with a tube of glue in his hand needed to be kept away from curious eyes (and cameras) :D :D

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

jimthelad wrote:BAe has now finished risk mitigation study of possible Indyref2. MoD will not allow non UK shipyard to build 'warships'. As a result options are now being prepared to move up to 800 jobs in design and advanced material research/manufacture to CL and Barrow. They are also now looking at an all England/Wales supply chain to prevent similar disruption. These changes will come into force if a second referendum is announced or if a wildcat referendum takes place.

Not surprising and not good news either :(

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

jimthelad wrote:BAe has now finished risk mitigation study of possible Indyref2. MoD will not allow non UK shipyard to build 'warships'. As a result options are now being prepared to move up to 800 jobs in design and advanced material research/manufacture to CL and Barrow. They are also now looking at an all England/Wales supply chain to prevent similar disruption. These changes will come into force if a second referendum is announced or if a wildcat referendum takes place.

Are you sure that the changes will come in to effect if a second referendum is announced rather than the secessionists winning a referendum because if it is as you suggest then moving the work away before the referendum has taken place could be handing the secessionists a massive stick to beat the unionist campaign with outside of Glasgow.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Pseudo wrote:Are you sure that the changes will come in to effect if a second referendum is announced rather than the secessionists winning a referendum because if it is as you suggest then moving the work away before the referendum has taken place could be handing the secessionists a massive stick to beat the unionist campaign with outside of Glasgow.
Would have thought the same. Possibly update the plan if a referendum is announced but only start to implement if the Nats succeed.

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Putting a lot of store in an 'I know a guy' rumour. I wouldn't start worrying about it too much, especially as it sounds like a bit of an ass-backwards plan.

Then there's the glaringly obvious that, if it was true, it's a bit silly for you to post it on a public forum. UKDJ reports on 'rumours' on this website you know ...