Changing tack slightly it is always interesting to see how strategic plans for equipment match to the RN. Below is are the plans for Italian Navy (Marina Militare) to 2034. I accept that requirements differ, but they are not worlds apart and the differences in size and ambition are stark.
- 4 Destroyers (2 Horizon/Andrea Doria class + 2 new DDX)
- 10 Frigates (FREMM/Bergamini class)
- 7+8 Patrol Vessels (7 PPA/Paolo Thaon di Revel class + 8 EPC European Patrol Corvettes)
- 12 MHC minehunters (4 CNG-A – Cacciamine Nuova Generazione-Altura + 8 CNG-C – Cacciamine Nuova Generazione-Costieri)
A total of 45 major and minor warships.
Let’s compare to what is being discussed for the Royal Navy:
- 6 T45 Destroyers
- 8 T26 Frigates
- 5 (possibly +3) T31s
- 5 B2 Rivers
- no funding / plans to replace MCMs and Survey ships
So optimistically a total 27 major and minor warships.
The pictures of the Italian CNG-A look similar to the BMT Venari