Apache Attack Helicopter (British Army Air Corps)

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Re: Apache Attack Helicopter (British Army Air Corps)

Post by mrclark303 »

Tempest414 wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 11:47 Well Wildcat AH-1 must be quite quick to turn around add weapons wings and hang 1 x GAU-19 and 15 LMM off them anything that is not a MBT would be in a world of hurt
If only they would, it would have an actual job to to do.....

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SW1 wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 12:11 [quote=mrclark303 post_id=159276
It literally carries half the men a Lynx AH9 could....
I would think if they used the same seating in the wildcat as they’d used in the ah9 it would carry the same amount of people. Maybe a gd thing it doesn’t.
[/quote]

Unfortunately not, crashworthy seating means space for 4 passengers.

Litteraly not fit for purpose in the light utility role....

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

mrclark303 wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 13:32
SW1 wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 12:11 [quote=mrclark303 post_id=159276
It literally carries half the men a Lynx AH9 could....
I would think if they used the same seating in the wildcat as they’d used in the ah9 it would carry the same amount of people. Maybe a gd thing it doesn’t.
Unfortunately not, crashworthy seating means space for 4 passengers.

Litteraly not fit for purpose in the light utility role....
[/quote]

There’s seating for 6 if there’s a crewman it’s 4 or 5. So it depends what your moving it’s like the little bird in that regard and I think Frances new h160m. It’s a small team helicopter.

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

The Wildcat training centre, in support of the superb Wildcat helicopter which works so effectively with the Apache of course.

https://uk.leonardo.com/en/news-and-sto ... ing-centre

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

When you see this picture from a Apache testing in the YPG Arizona and the question as always resurface .
It was a such a monumental difficult endeavour to integrate the Brimstone missile to the Army Apache fleet or just the M.O.D didn't won't to pay the bill ?????

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

MBDA tested it in 2016.

Its always been one of the big questions marks for our Apache's (from me), if we had put it on the AH1 I think we would have used them during the Afghanistan war and then we would have gotten our moneys worth with that investment. After that you could have made sure it was on the E's from the start and went after export sales.

They are willing to spend billions on JAGM, so I don't know if its even money related.

I don't know if you could state stock issues as we have missed a few opportunities to integrate it and order missiles for it.

The Army (or MOD) just doesn't seem to want Brimstone on the Apache.
These users liked the author Jdam for the post:
serge750

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Jdam wrote: 16 Dec 2023, 18:27 Its always been one of the big questions marks for our Apache's (from me), if we had put it on the AH1 I think we would have used them during the Afghanistan war and then we would have gotten our moneys worth with that investment. After that you could have made sure it was on the E's from the start and went after export sales.
The Herrick operations ended in 2014. Brimstone 2 arrived in service in 2016. Only Dual Mode Brimstone (converted from Brimstone 1) was available before then and in limited numbers. DMB was developed for Afghanistan but was to give the ability to fast air to launch a low collateral weapon. Wouldn't have made any sense to integrate any Brimstone on Apache before the 2 at least...so zero chance of getting a return on investment. Particularly as we had lots of Hellfire K in stock.
These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
Jackstar

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

DE & S confirm that 38 AH-64E have been delivered. Remaining 12 are to be delivered by end of 2024 for the planned total of 50.

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

Today, 656 Squadron AAC will make the last flight with Apache Mk1 before it is withdrawn from service

These users liked the author sol for the post (total 2):
Ron5serge750

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

Any possibility (or sense) in transferring our remaining (16 I think I have read) AH64D to Ukraine? Obviously there would need to be US permission, a training programme and it might be thought desirable to remove or downgrade the Longbow radar but ultimately Ukraine is currently operating their existing helicopters close to the frontline by lofting unguided rockets at targets.

Operating attack helicopters close to the front is therefore not deemed, by Ukraine, to be too dangerous and attrition rates from doing so don't seem particularly high so my thinking is why not give them something that will do an existing role better than what they currently have, that we no longer need and will otherwise have to dispose of in another way. Obviously, there are also huge numbers of other Apaches around the world that could provide further airframes going forwards.
These users liked the author Phil Sayers for the post (total 2):
serge750wargame_insomniac

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

Phil Sayers wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 19:13 Any possibility (or sense) in transferring our remaining (16 I think I have read) AH64D to Ukraine? Obviously there would need to be US permission, a training programme and it might be thought desirable to remove or downgrade the Longbow radar but ultimately Ukraine is currently operating their existing helicopters close to the frontline by lofting unguided rockets at targets.

Operating attack helicopters close to the front is therefore not deemed, by Ukraine, to be too dangerous and attrition rates from doing so don't seem particularly high so my thinking is why not give them something that will do an existing role better than what they currently have, that we no longer need and will otherwise have to dispose of in another way. Obviously, there are also huge numbers of other Apaches around the world that could provide further airframes going forwards.
it was noted of the 16 Apache AH1s not being converted to AH-64E - 1 “too worn out”; 1 ‘fried’ after hitting power lines; 2 for UK-based maintainer training; 2 for Australia ground-based training ; 8 for DSEME at MoD Lyneham; 2 may be donated to museums.

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

new guy wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 19:54

it was noted of the 16 Apache AH1s not being converted to AH-64E - 1 “too worn out”; 1 ‘fried’ after hitting power lines; 2 for UK-based maintainer training; 2 for Australia ground-based training ; 8 for DSEME at MoD Lyneham; 2 may be donated to museums.
Thanks, I guess on that basis the real question maybe how important is the DSEME provision because, without that, there would be ten available for what I have in mind. Even if two were still used for that purpose, Ukraine would still very much welcome 8 AH64D and there is the obvious possibility of then acquiring further Apaches from other users.

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

Army and RAF helicopter fleet join Nato's largest exercise since the Cold War
A fleet of British Army and Royal Air Force helicopters, including the new upgraded Apache model, will be taking on an important role in the next step of Nato's largest exercise since the Cold War.

Nine new Apache AH-64E attack helicopters will be making their first appearance on exercise, along with four Army Wildcats and two RAF Chinooks in Finland and Estonia for Exercises Swift Response and Arrow respectively.
https://www.forces.net/nato/new-apache- ... deployment

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

Jackstar wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 23:43 Army and RAF helicopter fleet join Nato's largest exercise since the Cold War
A fleet of British Army and Royal Air Force helicopters, including the new upgraded Apache model, will be taking on an important role in the next step of Nato's largest exercise since the Cold War.

Nine new Apache AH-64E attack helicopters will be making their first appearance on exercise, along with four Army Wildcats and two RAF Chinooks in Finland and Estonia for Exercises Swift Response and Arrow respectively.
https://www.forces.net/nato/new-apache- ... deployment
3 chinooks

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Apache Mk1

(Forces News) 25th March 2024
The incredible British Army's Apache Mk1 attack helicopter is finally flying off into the sunset after a 20-year career that has seen it fly a Prince to war and help remove a tyrannical dictator.

Known by its enemies as the "Mosquito" and referred to by its allies as the "Friend in the Sky", the Mk1 has seen notable action in Afghanistan and Libya.

Major Lewis Williams, of 4 Regiment AAC, described the helicopter as a "bruiser" in battle.

Apache AH-64E

(Forces News) 24th April 2024

"It really is about trying to scale up, to show what we're capable of projecting and delivering into Eastern Europe as part of what we offer to defence," said 4 Regiment Army Air Corps Battlegroup Commander, Lieutenant Colonel Dave Lambert.
These users liked the author SKB for the post:
Ron5