UK Defence Forum

News, History, Discussions and Debates on UK Defence.

Apache Attack Helicopter (British Army Air Corps)

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
Timmymagic

Re: Apache Attack Helicopter (British Army Air Corps)

Postby Timmymagic » 06 Jun 2019, 23:42

Tempest414 wrote:I will be spending a week at Wattisham in the summer where I will also be visiting Marham , Honington and 16 air Assault at Colchester so if there are any questions anyone would liked asked I would be happy to put them forward

I'd genuinely be interested in views on other weapons other than Hellfire/Brimstone on Apache. If any work or thought is going into getting a munition with smaller warhead on Apache E (perhaps LMM, APKWS or CRV7-PG). Even with the proposed variable warhead for Brimstone I would have thought there would have been a requirement for something with a bit less bang.
Also any thoughts on anti-uav from Apache. Is is cannon only, perhaps with different ammo or will we see Starstreak or LMM integrated with that in mind.
And finally. Manned/Unmanned teaming will be a thing for US Apache E. Is the UK looking in that direction at all.
Cheers

Tempest414

Postby Tempest414 » 07 Jun 2019, 08:02

All good questions I will put them on the list

SKB

Postby SKB » 28 Jun 2019, 17:41

*at sea from QE.

SKB

Postby SKB » 29 Jun 2019, 12:30

And now there are three!

jonas

Postby jonas » 02 Aug 2019, 09:10

Some clarification in regards to the numbers ordered :-

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/mod-con ... e-ordered/

Gabriele

Postby Gabriele » 05 Aug 2019, 15:32

Apache remanufacture order is one of few things that i wouldn't worry about. There is nothing mysteryous on the lack of an announced contract for the last 12: they will be part of the next (and last) US Multi Year Production contract, which won't be announced for a a few more months.
The last 12, in fact, fall outside the production lots covered by current production contract arrangements.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Tempest414

Postby Tempest414 » 15 Aug 2019, 09:40

I was at Wattisham last week and two were loaded on to lorries and taken for refit following striping down.

other things being talked about was that the aircrews are split over wanting Hellfire 11 or Brimstone still a lot of love for hellfire. They are looking at how LMM performs on wildcat but at its per unit cost it would seem to offer a good cheap option along side hellfire or Brimstone. first reports coming back from those who have flowen the E say as a weapons platform it is a step change as it should be however it still lacks the raw power of the UK D's which could come home to roost down the line . Also those who have been flying from the deck of QE say that anyone with some time on type could land on as the there is so little movement and the vis-q's are so good. other things were that following years in Afgan the deployments to Europe over the last year have been a eye opener in terms of how Apache can be used and operated and the need to get back to basics

Gabriele

Postby Gabriele » 18 Aug 2019, 22:29

however it still lacks the raw power of the UK D's

Weird. I'm pretty sure i read that the new engines and new transmission actually delivered more useable power than the AH1's combination.

Anyway, as the US Army will transition to the T901 ITEP engine in the coming years, it is pretty likely that british examples will have their engine changed as well before there is much of a chance to deal with power problems.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Timmymagic

Postby Timmymagic » 19 Aug 2019, 11:48

Gabriele wrote:Weird. I'm pretty sure i read that the new engines and new transmission actually delivered more useable power than the AH1's combination.

That was my understanding. I thought the first time the UK's Apache's had managed to actually use their additional power from the RTM's was in Afghanistan due to the mismatch between the power the engines could deliver and the power that the transmission could routinely handle. In Afghan the effect of hot and high operations limited the power output, therefore the UK Apache's could use their additional power to operate at 100% whereas US and Dutch were down to 80% normal power. Which partly explains their removal of the Longbow radar to save weight. To be fair some US Apaches were also operating at higher altitude than UK examples in Kunar and Logar so suffered even more.

Timmymagic

Postby Timmymagic » 19 Aug 2019, 11:51

Tempest414 wrote:other things being talked about was that the aircrews are split over wanting Hellfire 11 or Brimstone still a lot of love for hellfire.

Is that anything to do with integration with the platform, rather than the weapon?

Tempest414 wrote: They are looking at how LMM performs on wildcat but at its per unit cost it would seem to offer a good cheap option along side hellfire or Brimstone.

Any mention of CRV-7 going forward? Thought LMM would actually be more expensive than Hellfire on a individual basis. It would be nice to have CRV-7 with an APKWS and LMM as both can target different things.

Lord Jim

Postby Lord Jim » 19 Aug 2019, 12:38

You might be right but I find it hard to believe a LMM costs more than a Hellfire II.

Return to “British Army”