F-35B Lightning (RAF & RN)

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: F-35B Lightning II (RN & RAF)

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

NickC wrote: the 23 aircraft OT fleet will not complete modifications to the Block 3F production representative configuration until August 2018
Gee-whizz, about August last year it was estimated that all be done and dusted by Feb (now less than a week away!).
NickC wrote:The service life for all three variants is planned to be 8,000 hours, however the F-35B service life may be less than that, even with extensive modifications to strengthen the aircraft already produced.
Production line quality lapses, inadequate tire durability for the F-35B, deficiencies with the helmet display and night vision camera, and restrictions in air refueling for the F-35B and F-35C
The "B" has the least of any weight margins left.
NickC wrote: Excessive temperatures in the weapons bay at low altitudes while at high speeds may result in speed and time restrictions when carrying internal weapons
When we say, in the future, that "the weapons are hot" it won't mean that they can be fired - but rather: they will have to be fired!
NickC wrote:The MDL, mission data loads, set of five MDLs for Block 3F; each optimized for a geographically specific area of responsibility around the world, slipping due to ongoing delays with Block 3F.
This dependency and vulnerability has prompted a joint-project by Italy and Norway for "DIY" and only transmit the maintenance related info as per ALIS.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Gabriele wrote:No, BAE did the A variant plus the tail parta for all variants. Maybe also the C, don't remember for sure. But not the B.
The test rig at Brough took the F35A through 3 times its lifecycle in testing. The F35c completed 2 times its lifecycle and I believe is still on the test rig. The F35A went back to the US. The tail sections were tested separately, remember they are UK manufactured, so may have done some additional tests.
The F35B completed 16000 hours before it fell to pieces. but as Gabriele mentioned was tested in the US.
The tyres as far as I know receive a lot of damage during a vertical landing, especially if the landing is heavy. Also the exhaust gases from the engine play a part too as they are hot during a vertical landing. I seem to remember that tyre life was a problem back in my days in the RAF, when they flew Phantoms.
I did some work on testing the Bucaneer on a similar rig at Brough nearly 45 years ago, and the principles involved then apply today. my job then was building multi channel amplifiers for the strain gauges which fed the data to multi channel recorders for playback. It was a lot of channels, as there were often thousands of strain gauges.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Editorial note:

When I talk about fan clubs, the plural is not unintentional.

I had a foray into some national defence forums, and served the news that are now in that official (yearly) report
... and the hate that was pouring out, for just having delivered a few "home truths"... wow

It was difficult to tell apart what part of "it" was from infantile techno-freaks, who had just found a religion and felt attacked... and if there also were any paid bloggers involved.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Enjoy!

-Eddie-
United Kingdom

Post by -Eddie- »

Not the most exciting news, but significant; RAF Atlas (A400M) transporters have started bringing F-35 equipment to the UK in preparation for 617's arrival this year. It's getting closer... :D

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

SKB wrote:

Enjoy!
Lol - 8:37 - photobombed by a Harrier :lol:
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0004240516

Not directly related to the UK, but it is good to see other partners getting F-35B's. UK produces a lot more in the F-35 B and it should bring down the cost overall for the B model.

Korea, Spain, Australia, Israel, Turkey, and Japan are all very likely to purchase the B variant.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

sunstersun wrote:http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0004240516

Not directly related to the UK, but it is good to see other partners getting F-35B's. UK produces a lot more in the F-35 B and it should bring down the cost overall for the B model.

Korea, Spain, Australia, Israel, Japan are all very likely to purchase the B variant.
Amy idea when we are likely to see either political commitments or firm orders from any of these nations?

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

The b version for the Canberra class was assessed and not proceeded with .

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

seaspear wrote:The b version for the Canberra class was assessed and not proceeded with .
Turkey wants to design them in from the beginning with the JC-derivative for which the keel has been laid already
... whether they will get the planes; that is another story

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

seaspear wrote:The b version for the Canberra class was assessed and not proceeded with .

Someone described it as this. Basically if Japan and Korea both go with B's on their LHD's than the Australian military would have the political backing to push it through.

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

dmereifield wrote:

Korea, Spain, Australia, Israel, Japan are all very likely to purchase the B variant.
Amy idea when we are likely to see either political commitments or firm orders from any of these nations?

Japan should be the quickest imo. Their needs with NK and China along with the delay to the X-3 program means more F-35's are on the horizon. Also they would use the B on their small island airfields as well. I'd put the timeline around 2019 for the order. Remember this they got an assembly line. Seems like a giant waste for 38 aircraft.

Korea is probably going to match Japan in speed. That's more politics in play than pure military need.

Spain will run their harriers as long as they don't fall outta the air. But in reality do they have an option besides the F-35B for their STOVL carriers?

Israel is a maybe. I think it makes some sense given their small geographical area with major airfields easily targetable.

Australia is just a gut feeling.

I forgot to mention Turkey, but they are probably near 80% to order F-35B's given their landing ships.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Although the Juan Carlos would be a good candidate , the Spanish budget may be the biggest concern I seem to recall the limited use of this ship of late because of this

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

sunstersun wrote:
dmereifield wrote:

Japan should be the quickest imo. Their needs with NK and China along with the delay to the X-3 program means more F-35's are on the horizon. Also they would use the B on their small island airfields as well. I'd put the timeline around 2019 for the order. Remember this they got an assembly line. Seems like a giant waste for 38 aircraft.

Korea is probably going to match Japan in speed. That's more politics in play than pure military need.

Spain will run their harriers as long as they don't fall outta the air. But in reality do they have an option besides the F-35B for their STOVL carriers?

Israel is a maybe. I think it makes some sense given their small geographical area with major airfields easily targetable.

Australia is just a gut feeling.

I forgot to mention Turkey, but they are probably near 80% to order F-35B's given their landing ships.
Thanks

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Wow - would the US authorise sales to India??

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

I imagine they might. India would be a good ally to have in your corner when dealing with China. The B would be perfect for the Indian carriers.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

My gut feeling is that RAAF will get the B's but not just for the Canberra. I imagine RAAF will eventually gear up for a possible expeditionary island hopping campaign for forward austere fast air operations, it's a matter of funding Canberra LHD role would the transporting of an ferry and heavy of aircraft and equipment movement that can't be moved via C27J/C130 & C17. I know of talk within RAAF lower ranks but if that translates to to formal talks at a higher level who knows.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

dmereifield wrote:Wow - would the US authorise sales to India??
India is a joint exercises partner in the S. China Sea.
- and the Mig-29K (that they funded, as for carrier version development,in the first place) seems to break on every landing... poor thing
- a poor "person" cannot afford to buy on the cheap; it just gets more expensive that way ( in the long run)

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

India would surely want tech transfer and to build in India. Given their close relationship with Russia on several programmes I would have thought that it might be considered a security risk to sell them the F35

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I agree, the US might offer the F-35 to India but they would stand no chance of getting anything like the tech transfer they usually specify. All they would probably get it the ability to build the jets from "Kit" form. Their best bet would be, once their home built carriers com eon line is re-role the ex-Russian one to a helicopter carrier to carry out either ASW of Amphibious ops or both.

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Expect Indian software engineers to have made an order of magnitude better job of the eight million plus lines software used in the F-35 than LM which is years late and still in need of major updates.

PS CEOs of both Microsoft and Google are Indian, Satya Nadella and Sundar Pichai.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

I wasn't running down Indian engineers at all, merely asking if security issues might scupper a potential deal with India due to their close working relationship with Russia in a number of areas. Further, I wasn't suggesting that this would or would not be a justifiable concern, but rather whether the US government/DoD etc would block a sale based on this.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

The other issue might be that India would want to be building these as per Rafales, and the arrangement for non participant nations in the building thereof

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

seaspear wrote:The other issue might be that India would want to be building these as per Rafales, and the arrangement for non participant nations in the building thereof
And annoying little clauses such as 'if we mess it up, then you pay for it, that cool?'