Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
inch

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by inch »

so the mod and the engineer etc have quoted differing definitions one quoting uk and one quoting us measurements ,seems a mad way of going about thing really ,thanks

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

I know wiki isn't alway spot on but it's quoting them at 70,600 metric tons and 77,800 short ton

Could it be that reporters are just going off old material from the orginal design weight ?

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

There are also several thousand different way of measuring displacement, so it depends on which you use (don't forget to take away the number you first thought of)

From Wiki

There are terms for the displacement of a vessel under specified conditions:

Loaded displacemen
Loaded displacement is the weight of the ship including cargo, passengers, fuel, water, stores, dunnage and such other items necessary for use on a voyage. These bring the ship down to its "load draft", colloquially known as the "waterline".
Full load displacement and loaded displacement have almost identical definitions. Full load is defined as the displacement of a vessel when floating at its greatest allowable draft as established by classification societies (and designated by its "waterline"). Warships have arbitrary full load condition established.
Deep load condition means full ammunition and stores, with most available fuel capacity used.[citation needed]
Light displacement
Light displacement (LDT) is defined as the weight of the ship excluding cargo, fuel, water, ballast, stores, passengers, crew, but with water in boilers to steaming level.[6]
Normal displacement
Normal displacement is the ship's displacement "with all outfit, and two-thirds supply of stores, ammunition, etc., on board."
Standard displacement
Standard displacement, also known as "Washington displacement", is a specific term defined by the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922.[9] It is defined as the displacement of the ship complete, fully manned, engined, and equipped ready for sea, including all armament and ammunition, equipment, outfit, provisions and fresh water for crew, miscellaneous stores, and implements of every description that are intended to be carried in war, but without fuel or reserve boiler feed water on board.[

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

A very impressive view of Queen Elizabeth this afternoon. (Photo by @EcoVenturesUK)
IMG_1051.JPG
And two Queen Elizabeth's for the price of one.. (Photo by @CruiseIncentive)
IMG_1052.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

* I take back the "two for the price of one" comment should it be misconstrued ;)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

^ MS Caribbean Princess vs HMS Queen Elizabeth off Kirkcaldy. QE sounds her horn at 30 seconds. (27th June 2017)

^ Kirkcaldy (3rd July 2017)

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

Do you know which horn belongs to which ship in the first video?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

In the first video, the first horn is the Caribbean Princess. The deeper horn at 30 seconds is the QE

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

Dave Cullen has stated in the last couple of hours that QE is having a few days R&R then going to berth for fuel.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

R's
Dahedd wrote:Out of curiosity why do we mark the carrier's with an R? Do all NATO countries user the same designations ?
You would think that 'A' for Aircraft Carrier would be the most logical choice. However:
'A' is used by Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessels (the supply ships), such as RFA Tidespring (A136)

Then how about C for Carrier?
'C' was already taken by Cruisers, such as HMS Belfast (C35)

The next letter in the word "AIRCRAFT" after 'A' that they might have used was the letter 'I', but 'I' could be confused with a number 1. So the next letter after 'I' in 'AIRCRAFT' is 'R'. Coincidentally, 'R' is the third letter in both 'AIRCRAFT' and 'CARRIER'.

So 'R' was chosen for the RN and some other countries have also used 'R' ever since. Some examples:

The French carrier Charles de Gaulle has the pennant R91.
India's INS Vikramaditya has R33 and their former carrier INS Viraat (ex HMS Hermes R12) had R22
The decommissioned Spanish carrier Príncipe de Asturias had R11
:geek:

Thorvicson
United Kingdom

Post by Thorvicson »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:Dave Cullen has stated in the last couple of hours that QE is having a few days R&R then going to berth for fuel.
Well its a mix of RN crew and ACA civilian technicians so I would guess they get weekends off and some will probably return home whilst some of the crew will get shore leave.

On a plus point we may see the crew boats in use for a large de-embarkation to test that at sea :D

CR4ZYHOR5E
United Kingdom

Post by CR4ZYHOR5E »

I've heard a story about the 'R' but no idea as to accuracy. Someone told me that they were sailing with a navy chap around the Solent and enquired about the 'R'...the navy chap said that the 'R' is for 'recovery'.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

In the good old days the second R was for "Recreation"
- Everyone in Vietnam was permitted ONE R&R during their one-year (13 months for the Marines) tour of duty.
... Bangkok was a top destination
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

RNFollower
United Kingdom

Post by RNFollower »

Thorvicson wrote:
cockneyjock1974 wrote:Dave Cullen has stated in the last couple of hours that QE is having a few days R&R then going to berth for fuel.
Well its a mix of RN crew and ACA civilian technicians so I would guess they get weekends off and some will probably return home whilst some of the crew will get shore leave.

On a plus point we may see the crew boats in use for a large de-embarkation to test that at sea :D
I don't think they have been delivered yet. Still testing them. The first 2 (Swordfish and Buccaneer, Cool Names!) are more or less finished I believe and I think are in Portsmouth at the moment. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

Whats the Scran like? Any menu's anyone can show us?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Archer class vessels HMS Dasher (P280) and HMS Pursuer (P273) met with QE at noon.
(HMS Qnlz) 7/7/2017
The first Royal Navy visitors to use the transom HMS Pursuer & HMS Dasher.
They both just left QE at 12:45

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(HMSQnlz) 7/7/2017
Looks like we have visitors above, as well. The Ship's Company know what this means: time to head for the mail room!

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

The AN/SPN-41 radar is another thing that will have to be fitted later on, it seems.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

When TWO Queen Elizabeth's Met!

Bring Deeps
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Bring Deeps »

One of the WWII memoirs I read related a similar encounter between the battleship and the then troopship. The author recalled both ships signalled 'snap'.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Strange that an aircraft carrier can look prettier and more elegant than a bland and boxy looking cruise ship

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:In the good old days the second R was for "Recreation"
Yes that's correct. When I worked for the US Government I had 10 days R and R, on top of my annual leave. And I headed for Bangkok as well. The other popular place was Signapore.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

HMS Prince of Wales naming ceremony in September:

The Royal Lancers is privileged to have affiliations with a number of other units, both nationally and internationally but none can match the sheer size and scale of HMS Prince of Wales. The second of the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers, HMS PoW is currently being constructed in Rosyth dockyard in Scotland. She is due to be formally named by HRH The Prince of Wales and HRH The Duchess of Cornwall in September. As a result, The Royal Navy, Captain and Crew of HMS PoW have asked that The Regiment celebrate their joint-relationship and be part of that ceremony; therefore, The Royal Lancers will mount a Lance Guard at the bow of the ship as it is formally named. Yesterday, the Commanding Officer and the Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant-Major, WO2 Hollis, visited the ship where they were given by a tour by the Senior Naval Officer, the XO (Second-in-Command), Principal Warfare Officer and members of the ship's crew. Preparations are now underway for the September ceremony which will also be attended by the Colonel of the Regiment and live-streamed by Sky News. Below, the CO, RQMS (Main), Lt Clarkson, the XO and the Principal Warfare Officer are pictured at the bow of the ship which stands over 17 stories high.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Gabriele wrote:HMS PoW is currently being constructed in Rosyth dockyard in Scotland. She is due to be formally named by HRH The Prince of Wales and HRH The Duchess of Cornwall in September.
So that would mean QE won't be re-entering Dock 1 for repainting until October at the earliest then, with autumn rain and wind?
Could PoW be floated out early to the fitting out area for her naming ceremony there instead, so that QE can re-dock before autumn?