UK Defence Forum

News, History, Discussions and Debates on UK Defence.

FV4034 Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank (British Army)

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
mr.fred

Re: FV4034 Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank (British Army)

Postby mr.fred » 04 Feb 2019, 07:40

Lord Jim wrote:Looking at some of the latest Leopard 2A6 models in service (Danish) you can see the same "Hunter Killer" sight on the turret roof as we see on Rheinmetall's submission for the CR2 CEP.

No it isn’t. The Rheinmetall offering has the same Thales sights fitted to the Ajax.
It would appear that the new turret Rheinmetall have shown on their CR2 CEP Demonstrator is a CR2 Turret stripped sown and rebuilt with a new armour package,
or the original armour scheme with a cover over it.

the mush discussed ammo racks in the enlarged turret bustle and the same FCS as the latest Leopard 2 variants.
or a different one.
This may mean that by using off the shelf items the cost has been reduces to a level that the whole package as shown, not APS or new engine, could be affordable within the CAP budget. The haggling could then be over these last two items but even the starting package would bring the CR2 back up to the top table of MBTs.
sounds like wishful thinking

Gabriele

Postby Gabriele » 04 Feb 2019, 10:13

The APS was never meant to be part of the LEP as it is being run separately under Project MEDUSA and ICARUS with the aim of coming up with one standardized modular sensor system that can be mated to an APS procured probably from abroad and used on multiple fleets.

That BLACK NIGHT had Iron Fist is just due to BAE and GD feeling that they could fit it into the budget, having been conservative on the rest.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 04 Feb 2019, 12:23

Gabriele wrote:one standardized modular sensor system that can be mated to an APS procured probably from abroad and used on multiple fleets.

A good idea, following in the 'applique' footsteps. Also, the separation into two subsystems as then there will be guidance as to what to build in and at the same time, how to harness the great progress constantly being made in this area.

Lord Jim

Postby Lord Jim » 09 Feb 2019, 21:35

This makes sense as long as we don't end up sitting on the fence continuously waiting for the next best thing to turn up. I think we need to take the initial plunge sooner rather than later to equip a limited number of vehicles that would be used in operations, say enough for a Battalion level battlegroup, so kits for CR2s, Warrior CEP, Ajax and so on.

-Eddie-

Postby -Eddie- » 28 Feb 2019, 18:29

A recent shot of the Rheinmetall proposal for the Challenger 2 LEP.

Complete with defence secretary :think:

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 01 Mar 2019, 00:16

That's looking like a lean, mean, fighting machine :)

seaspear

Postby seaspear » 01 Mar 2019, 03:10

It might look better complete with other things on top than the defence secretary , unless lol

Qwerty

Postby Qwerty » 01 Mar 2019, 07:07

seaspear wrote:It might look better complete with other things on top than the defence secretary , unless lol

Working at height and in a depot/yard - No protective head gear and no high visibility clothing.

mr.fred

Postby mr.fred » 01 Mar 2019, 08:41

Qwerty wrote:
Working at height and in a depot/yard - No protective head gear and no high visibility clothing.

Not needed if you are controlling the risk another way.
Probably not needed anyway.

seaspear

Postby seaspear » 01 Mar 2019, 09:38

reflective vests , safety boots are at the bottom of the hierarchy of control when it comes to mitigating risk of a fall hazard, the vehicle could have been parked next to safety railing to prevent a fall hazard .
Probably meets definition of unsafe work practice ,could come down to any investigating inspector from the local government department .
I've had to call them in on occasion lol

RetroSicotte
Site Admin

Postby RetroSicotte » 08 Mar 2019, 13:18

First image I've ever seen of the L28A1 APFSDS round. No idea on its size to the L27.

That said I am going to the Tank Museum in the summer, I'll see if I can measure it, since we know L27s dimensions.

Just need to identify what its actual history is. I'd ask a museum person, but they'll all be busy with Tankfest prep. Lot of talk of it being an L27 replacement (which we've never seen for sure as being in service), or being made for Oman (no confirmation) or just an unused prototype round.

Lord Jim

Postby Lord Jim » 09 Mar 2019, 07:59

That definitely looks a bit bigger than those I have seen.

Return to “British Army”