Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
SD67
United Kingdom

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Post by SD67 »

Sshh don't tell the Treasury or they'll cancel Tempest...

I'm prepared to wager that the profit HMG and BAE make on a sale of say 72 would almost cover a small RAF purchase in 2030.
These users liked the author SD67 for the post:
Jensy

inch

Post by inch »

Not this government though, hasn't they just said that they want to reduce tax and reduce cash to departments,so can't see a further order of typhoons for RAF tbh
These users liked the author inch for the post:
Jensy

Spitfire9
Norway

Post by Spitfire9 »

SD67 wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 12:09 It will be interesting to see the size of the order. A quick google shows the Saudis currently operating 80 F15C/Ds with an average age of 37 years. It could be substantial, especially given the threat situation.
The earliest Tempest could enter service with KSA air force would be near 2040 (my guess). KSA would have very old F-15's by then. It looks to me that KSA has to order something. If Typhoon is back on the table, I would think that KSA would be keen to get it. After a monumental delay the option for a further 48 will no longer be current (different spec now, different prices). I wonder how long it would take for an order to materialise.

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

First deliveries of Typhoon to both Qatar and Oman were made 5 years after contract signature. For KSA it should be quicker as they're a current user and the platform is well known to them

inch

Post by inch »

Does anyone think that Germany's change of heart on allowing UK exports of typhoon to Saudi is not just about pressure on German future jobs of typhoons but also trying to get a better position with the French on the future FCAS/SCAF fighter program? knowing if they mess France around, France would go it alone and knowing no chance of getting on GCAP program , which means just buying American F35A, really destroying German future fighter tech knowhow ,,they could always develop typhoon NG , just a thought ps wasn't sure wether to post on this post or GCAP post , cheers
These users liked the author inch for the post:
Meriv9

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

The German industrial lobby is very powerful and may well have been making that case

FWIW I think the change of heart is the Houthis, and KSA's role in dealing with them, likely budged on by Israel as well

Spitfire9
Norway

Post by Spitfire9 »

BBC is reporting strikes against Yemen. I think that both UK carriers are in the UK, so any UK air strikes would be using Typhoon. Would that be from Cyprus or would UK Typhoons be based somewhere in the Gulf? Perhaps UK is only using ships/submarines - the news so far is not clear.

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Spitfire9 wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 00:56 BBC is reporting strikes against Yemen. I think that both UK carriers are in the UK, so any UK air strikes would be using Typhoon. Would that be from Cyprus or would UK Typhoons be based somewhere in the Gulf? Perhaps UK is only using ships/submarines - the news so far is not clear.
MoD is saying four Typhoons witb Paveway IV, operating from Akritori.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/air- ... s-in-yemen
Four RAF Typhoon FGR4s, supported by a Voyager air refuelling tanker therefore used Paveway IV guided bombs to conduct precision strikes on two of these Houthi facilities. One was a site at Bani in north-western Yemen used to launch reconnaissance and attack drones. A number of buildings involved in drone operations were targeted by our aircraft.
These users liked the author Jensy for the post:
wargame_insomniac
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" - Dr. Strangelove (1964)

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

The irreplaceable value of that permanent sentinel that is British forces Cyprus. With Akritori supporting NATO air policing to the north, operation shader over Iraq and Syria to the east and now supporting freedom of navigation to the south over the Red Sea.

Our overseas sovereign territories have never been more vital. One can only hope this and governments to come recognise and invest in them.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post (total 6):
mrclark303SD67JensyLittle Jserge750wargame_insomniac

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

Isn't the FCO in the process of giving away Diego Garcia?

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

SD67 wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 10:02 Isn't the FCO in the process of giving away Diego Garcia?
Yea much like the late 70s when the foreign office paraded themselves repeatedly to the Falklands demanding the Falkland islanders talk to Argentina about sovereignty they deserve a good shoeing.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
serge750

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

PS good to see those “short ranged” typhoons going a long way!

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SW1 wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 10:23 PS good to see those “short ranged” typhoons going a long way!
I would have thought setting up camp in Saudi Arabia was a good plan at the moment, if Oman don't want to get involved.

Can't see the Saudis having an issue with it.....

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

mrclark303 wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 10:31
SW1 wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 10:23 PS good to see those “short ranged” typhoons going a long way!
I would have thought setting up camp in Saudi Arabia was a good plan at the moment, if Oman don't want to get involved.

Can't see the Saudis having an issue with it.....
Oman condemned the strikes in public anyway

https://www.omanobserver.om/article/114 ... ary-action

Saudi not that keen either it would seem

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 024-01-12/

If your going to invest in infrastructure invest it in sovereign territories.

I note also France has taken a step backwards where have they suddenly disappeared too

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

The announcement doesn't actually mention RAF Akrotiri - I reckon they flew from KSA. (but obviously noone's going to give that kind of detail )

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

SD67 wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 10:39
The announcement doesn't actually mention RAF Akrotiri - I reckon they flew from KSA. (but obviously noone's going to give that kind of detail )
Really….

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

SD67 wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 10:39
It was Akritori. The footage of the Typhoons and Voyagers taking off are all over the news:
https://news.sky.com/story/strikes-on-y ... r-13046546
SD67 wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 10:02 Isn't the FCO in the process of giving away Diego Garcia?
Also supposedly now dead:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... mauritius/

Gifting them to Mauritius should never have been entertained in the first place. They've abused and robbed the Chagossians far more recently than the British Empire....
These users liked the author Jensy for the post (total 2):
SW1serge750
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" - Dr. Strangelove (1964)

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

Aah corrected, just me being cynical, thanks

Great news on Diego Garcia - handover would be madness in the current environment
These users liked the author SD67 for the post (total 2):
Jensynew guy

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

May get that order in early if this is anything to go by

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

OMG
Are we sure this is not a parody account?

Update :
Comment from 4 years ago, latest stance is "fully supportive"

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

If they don't get it locked in within 6 months it won't happen
These users liked the author dmereifield for the post:
Spitfire9

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SD67 wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 16:53 OMG
Are we sure this is not a parody account?

Update :
Comment from 4 years ago, latest stance is "fully supportive"
Further update, " we will throw anyone under any bus and chuck any policy needed in the bin to get elected"

Typical politician......

Spitfire9
Norway

Post by Spitfire9 »

inch wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 13:40 Not this government though, hasn't they just said that they want to reduce tax and reduce cash to departments,so can't see a further order of typhoons for RAF tbh
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... t-aircraft

So a Rafale F4 costs 5,000 million euros divided by 42 (less than £105 million). What would the RAF be charged per frame for additional Typhoons? I think that number has something to do with the RAF getting or not getting any more. Of course there is also the 'needs must' angle - Ukraine, Gaza, Red Sea, wherever next which should be pushing UK to arm up to face a far less certain world. Coupled with that, the possibility that the US may draw back from supporting NATO in the near future.

The current turmoil may not precipitate more Typhoons for the RAF but I am sure that HM government will see the pros and cons of Tempest in a different light.

PS We have seen how ineffective NATO can be in watching events in Ukraine unfurl. The US has dithered, delayed, debated and subsequently delivered where many weapons systems are concerned: HIMARS, ATACMS, tanks, F-16...

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

I think the original allegation of a "20% reduction in budgets" was later amended to "20% reduction in headcount", which would free up budget for additional spending on policy objectives. I'm not aware of whether a timeframe has been stated. Anyone have any further information?
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill