Warrior Armoured Vehicles (British Army)

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
RunningStrong

Re: Warrior Armoured Vehicles (British Army)

Post by RunningStrong »

mrclark303 wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 14:36 I see, hopefully Boxer with a turret?
You and half the army can keep dreaming!

Maybe a 20-30mm remote weapon station.
These users liked the author RunningStrong for the post:
whitelancer

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

GarethDavies1 wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 20:42 What about this:
https://aei-systems.com/venom_lr_30mm_gun/
The Venom is probably better suited to light vehicles, as a drop-in replacment for 12.7mm, where more firepower is needed
For heavier vehicles, I think full-fat 30 x 173 would be more desirable (and could also be mounted in a RWS)
My personal preference would be for a re-hash of one of the two 40mm turrets that the UK recently paid to have designed
These users liked the author Caribbean for the post:
wargame_insomniac
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

These users liked the author sol for the post:
RunningStrong

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Caribbean wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 21:50
GarethDavies1 wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 20:42 What about this:
https://aei-systems.com/venom_lr_30mm_gun/
The Venom is probably better suited to light vehicles, as a drop-in replacment for 12.7mm, where more firepower is needed
For heavier vehicles, I think full-fat 30 x 173 would be more desirable (and could also be mounted in a RWS)
My personal preference would be for a re-hash of one of the two 40mm turrets that the UK recently paid to have designed
I believe Boxer already has a version with a 30mm stabilised turret in production??

So, if we are making the mistake of letting a tracked AFV go and replacing with wheeled transport, we better be bloody sure it fight its corner....

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

mrclark303 wrote: 21 Nov 2023, 14:33 I believe Boxer already has a version with a 30mm stabilised turret in production??
Well Lithuanian Boxers are equipped with Rafael's remote Samson Mk II turret, Germany is planing to use same remote turret as one mounted on Puma IFV, Australians are using manned Lance turret on their CRV version. And several other turrets, like RT60 are also tested on Boxer. There is plenty of options if UK wants to put turret on the Boxer. But much less options if they want just to put larger gun on current RS4. XM914 for example would require at least RS6.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

The Dutch did test the MF230

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

The Trailblazer Gen 3 solution was specifically developed to meet the demanding requirements of the UK Army and it will be great to see this system now also supporting the safety needs of the Warrior platform.”
Brigadier Matt Wilkinson, Vehicle Support Team Leader, Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), said: “This safety critical upgrade to Warrior is being delivered at pace and with the principals of quality, supportability, and value for money at its heart. The DE&S Vehicle Support Team look forward to working with Rheinmetall Electronics UK in integrating this leading-edge technology to our in-service fleet of Armoured Infantry Fighting Vehicles over the next 12 months.”
https://www.edrmagazine.eu/rheinmetall- ... rrior-ifvs

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Looks like market is split then with Thales LSAS cameras on Non-RDUK/RBSL, and REUK fitted on RBSL products.

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

sol wrote: 21 Nov 2023, 17:01
mrclark303 wrote: 21 Nov 2023, 14:33 I believe Boxer already has a version with a 30mm stabilised turret in production??
Well Lithuanian Boxers are equipped with Rafael's remote Samson Mk II turret, Germany is planing to use same remote turret as one mounted on Puma IFV, Australians are using manned Lance turret on their CRV version. And several other turrets, like RT60 are also tested on Boxer. There is plenty of options if UK wants to put turret on the Boxer. But much less options if they want just to put larger gun on current RS4. XM914 for example would require at least RS6.
Ah yes, this is the example I was thinking of, "Lithuanian Boxers are equipped with Rafael's remote Samson Mk II turret"

A lot of defensive and offensive accurate fireapower, already developed, so why can't we just fit that to ours, it's good to go isn't it, or am I missing something?

Did we do the "UK thing" and specially bespoke modify ours, so we can't simply fit the turret systems already developed, I wouldn't put it past the MOD....

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

mrclark303 wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 16:26 Did we do the "UK thing" and specially bespoke modify ours, so we can't simply fit the turret systems already developed, I wouldn't put it past the MOD....
Boxer is modular at the mission module, so you'd have to "simply fit" the IFV mission module.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

mr.fred wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 20:53
mrclark303 wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 16:26 Did we do the "UK thing" and specially bespoke modify ours, so we can't simply fit the turret systems already developed, I wouldn't put it past the MOD....
Boxer is modular at the mission module, so you'd have to "simply fit" the IFV mission module.
The IFV mission module with UK survivability and UK C4I and ISTAR equipment...

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

mr.fred wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 20:53 Boxer is modular at the mission module, so you'd have to "simply fit" the IFV mission module.
So for the new turret, the budget would be need to be provided for both new module (which is not cheap at all) and turret. That doesn't sound as a good deal. If there is a need to put turret on the Boxer I doubt new module would be build, but just modify existent one. And there is no need for a new module, for example Kongsberg RT60 was already tested on UK infantry module or just swap RS6 instead of RS4 and put 30mm on it. There is plenty of options if UK wants to up-gun their Boxers, and cheaper than building a new module.
These users liked the author sol for the post (total 2):
new guywargame_insomniac

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

Seems like officially Warrior will serve until the end of 2030, but total numbers will decrease toward that date as Boxer and Ajax vehicles arrive to replace them.

These users liked the author sol for the post:
Tempest414

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

sol wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 08:57 Seems like officially Warrior will serve until the end of 2030, but total numbers will decrease toward that date as Boxer and Ajax vehicles arrive to replace them.

Then we need to get on and replace Bulldog

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

Tempest414 wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 14:28 Then we need to get on and replace Bulldog
Bulldog has it own replacement program which should start in 2025. Considering all current projects, I would not be surprised if it is delayed and Bulldog would still be in service past 2030, which is current out of service date.

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

How many Warrior armoured vehicles are in service?

The Warrior family includes
several variants such as the Infantry Fighting Vehicle, Infantry Command Vehicle, Repair & Recovery Vehicle and Observation Post Vehicle.
Warrior is one of the most widely deployed vehicles in the British Army and was highly successful during the Gulf War, Bosnia, Kosovo and Iraq.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/how-man ... n-service/