New Medium Helicopter [NMH] - (RAF & AAC)

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.

It's February 2024 - Which way is NMH going to go?

Please note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

Leonardo AW-149
61%
Sikorsky S-70M Black Hawk
22%
Programme cancelled
11%
Airbus H-175M
6%
Boeing MH-139 (back from the dead?)
No votes
Puma kept in service till next-gen
No votes

Total votes: 18

SW1
United Kingdom

Re: New Medium Helicopter [NMH] - (RAF & AAC)

Post by SW1 »

mrclark303 wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 09:20
SW1 wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 15:57
Ron5 wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 14:46 @SW1 forgot to show the last paragraph in the article:
That many accidents during a collective 1.7 million flight hours gave a rate of .87 class A mishaps per 100,000 flight hours, lower than the Army’s overall rate of 1.03 and lower than the H-60’s previous five-year rate of 1.04. Flightfax’s review of the period between 2016 and 2020 shows human error was the primary cause factor in 83 percent of the mishaps with the remaining 17 percent attributed to mechanical failure.
Still don’t get it I see, it’s not the accidents it’s the why it happened in the first place!

“ NCMAS members found that pilots were not flying enough hours to remain proficient, maintenance personnel were insufficiently trained and suffered from low morale, and that supply chains lacked adequate throughput to keep aircraft in flying shape”

It’s not unique to European helicopters and what mrclarke303 and his buy American cheer leaders ignore. It doesn’t matter who you buy the helicopter from, if you don’t put in place the spares holdings and parts managements systems to control configuration you get shit results even in the good old us of a because your pilots can’t fly the helicopters! It’s helps if you supply changes are as short as possible
"mrclark303 and his buy American cheer leaders"

Sounds like a great band, I'll get my guitar out 😂

Seriously, I'm not sure your fixation on this buy American comes from?

I could mention your buy Italian fixation....

Why do I want Blackhawk.... As Ron put it, it's the only Helicopter designed from the ground up to be a Tonka tough battlefield helicopter, specifically designed from Vietnam UH1 experience to absorb battlefield damage.

The other options are adjusted Civilian helicopters.

Oh, the armed forces have wanted them 'for years', but let's not have what the Army and RAF actually want get in the way of future juicy non executive board positions on the Leonardo board....
Not sure why you think I want the aw149. It’s not the only other option.

Yeah load of nonsense. But then the army does have a love of ancient vehicles maybe it wants ancient helicopters too.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Did not know that they were considering the Bristol Sycamore!
These users liked the author Scimitar54 for the post (total 2):
Ron5Little J

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Scimitar54 wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 11:21 Did not know that they were considering the Bristol Sycamore!
Well there is one in the Bristol collection and one at Western helicopter collection, I doubt we can afford more than that, so best get cracking with refurb.....

How about we throw in a Belvedere....
These users liked the author mrclark303 for the post (total 2):
Ron5Scimitar54

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SW1 wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 11:11
mrclark303 wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 09:20
SW1 wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 15:57
Ron5 wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 14:46 @SW1 forgot to show the last paragraph in the article:
That many accidents during a collective 1.7 million flight hours gave a rate of .87 class A mishaps per 100,000 flight hours, lower than the Army’s overall rate of 1.03 and lower than the H-60’s previous five-year rate of 1.04. Flightfax’s review of the period between 2016 and 2020 shows human error was the primary cause factor in 83 percent of the mishaps with the remaining 17 percent attributed to mechanical failure.
Still don’t get it I see, it’s not the accidents it’s the why it happened in the first place!

“ NCMAS members found that pilots were not flying enough hours to remain proficient, maintenance personnel were insufficiently trained and suffered from low morale, and that supply chains lacked adequate throughput to keep aircraft in flying shape”

It’s not unique to European helicopters and what mrclarke303 and his buy American cheer leaders ignore. It doesn’t matter who you buy the helicopter from, if you don’t put in place the spares holdings and parts managements systems to control configuration you get shit results even in the good old us of a because your pilots can’t fly the helicopters! It’s helps if you supply changes are as short as possible
"mrclark303 and his buy American cheer leaders"

Sounds like a great band, I'll get my guitar out 😂

Seriously, I'm not sure your fixation on this buy American comes from?

I could mention your buy Italian fixation....

Why do I want Blackhawk.... As Ron put it, it's the only Helicopter designed from the ground up to be a Tonka tough battlefield helicopter, specifically designed from Vietnam UH1 experience to absorb battlefield damage.

The other options are adjusted Civilian helicopters.

Oh, the armed forces have wanted them 'for years', but let's not have what the Army and RAF actually want get in the way of future juicy non executive board positions on the Leonardo board....
Not sure why you think I want the aw149. It’s not the only other option.

Yeah load of nonsense. But then the army does have a love of ancient vehicles maybe it wants ancient helicopters too.
And yet the Chinook is a design 20 years older than the Blackhawk SW1, what must you think of that antique 🫣😵‍💫....

You do know your position re the age of the original design is total nonsense I'm sure, you're just having a bit of fun.....

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

mrclark303 wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 13:51 You do know your position re the age of the original design is total nonsense I'm sure, you're just having a bit of fun.....
He lost the plot several pages ago, he's been posting contradictory things ever since :cry:
These users liked the author Ron5 for the post:
mrclark303

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

Not directly connected with NMH but contract for 6 H-145 for Cyprus and Brunei is signed, value of the contract is £122 million
No delivery timeline for the German-built helicopters has been disclosed, but the MoD says it expects the Jupiter HC2s to “take over aviation duties in Brunei and on Cyprus during 2026”.
Baseline H145s are being acquired rather than the dedicated military M-model variant which is capable of being armed. Modifications for the Brunei and Cyprus missions will be carried out at Airbus Helicopters UK’s site at Oxford airport.
https://www.flightglobal.com/helicopter ... 89.article