Multi-Role Ocean Surveillance Ships

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Jensy
United Kingdom

Re: Multi-Role Ocean Surveillance Ships

Post by Jensy »

Looking good on the Thames!

....can't help but think she would suit dazzle camo to match the B1 Rivers though...
These users liked the author Jensy for the post (total 2):
JackstarDahedd
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" - Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

Superb images of HMS Belfast alongside RFA Proteus. She's being brought into service at a critical time. Ben Wallace was desperately keen to get her operational ASAP. For very good reasons.
These users liked the author Jackstar for the post (total 3):
wargame_insomniacJensySD67

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

Shame we can't do the same for Belfast!
These users liked the author jimthelad for the post:
Jensy

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

jimthelad wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 21:51 Shame we can't do the same for Belfast!
Not long till we have a new one! Though sadly lacking 12 x 6" guns...
These users liked the author Jensy for the post:
new guy
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" - Dr. Strangelove (1964)

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Jensy wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 23:08
jimthelad wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 21:51 Shame we can't do the same for Belfast!
Not long till we have a new one! Though sadly lacking 12 x 6" guns...
In place, she has a 24'x24' moon pool.

Anyway, she is very impressively "bulky". It looks like we can enjoy tennis in her bridge.

from Navylookout article.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

donald_of_tokyo wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 01:13 Anyway, she is very impressively "bulky". It looks like we can enjoy tennis in her bridge.
Thats got to help recruitment and retention!

With the RFA/RN crew split it’s not too onerous of the RFA which is great.

For around £80m the MoD really should make it a pair.
These users liked the author Poiuytrewq for the post:
wargame_insomniac

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

Poiuytrewq wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 08:21
donald_of_tokyo wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 01:13 Anyway, she is very impressively "bulky". It looks like we can enjoy tennis in her bridge.

Especially with her sister ship Topaz Tiamat apparently due to finish her fixed contract next year, as per link higher up in thread.

Having two sister ships will help with maintenance and logistics. Allowe them to take turns with one focusing on Atlantic cables and the other covering North Sea and up towards High North.

£80m feels like a bargain price for subsea capabilities even if required some convecosr
These users liked the author wargame_insomniac for the post:
Poiuytrewq

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 18:25

Especially with her sister ship Topaz Tiamat apparently due to finish her fixed contract next year, as per link higher up in thread.

Having two sister ships will help with maintenance and logistics. Allowe them to take turns with one focusing on Atlantic cables and the other covering North Sea and up towards High North.

£80m feels like a bargain price for subsea capabilities even if required some convecosr
anything on the open market probably has the same maintance / logistical costs as a class in the RN.

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

new guy wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 19:56

anything on the open market probably has the same maintance / logistical costs as a class in the RN.
?????

I am sorry but don;t understand your maning. The cost of purchasing Topaz Tangaroa was £80m - I doubt that could build it in UK for anything like that low.

If you are purely talking about ongoing annual costs, then surely there would be some cost savings of having two identica ships, instead of say two different ships of very different designs. You would nt need two sets of different spare parts if you had common components to both ships. The UK builder who would be responsible for their refits, repairs and maintenance (Cammell Laird I presume?) would surely also have some cost savings of repeating tasks on two ships of the same designs as they would have the memories of what they did first time round.

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 22:02
new guy wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 19:56

?????

I am sorry but don;t understand your maning. The cost of purchasing Topaz Tangaroa was £80m - I doubt that could build it in UK for anything like that low.

If you are purely talking about ongoing annual costs, then surely there would be some cost savings of having two identica ships, instead of say two different ships of very different designs. You would nt need two sets of different spare parts if you had common components to both ships. The UK builder who would be responsible for their refits, repairs and maintenance (Cammell Laird I presume?) would surely also have some cost savings of repeating tasks on two ships of the same designs as they would have the memories of what they did first time round.
I'm talking about how another user talked about the maintance costs:
Commonality is great but sometimes it’s another word for bespoke.

Bespoke is another word for very expensive and not readily available.

When operating commercial vessels the commonality is automatically included.

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

new guy wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 22:05 I'm talking about how another user talked about the maintance costs:
Commonality is great but sometimes it’s another word for bespoke.

Bespoke is another word for very expensive and not readily available.

When operating commercial vessels the commonality is automatically included.
Ok - was confused because you had quoted my post rather than this other post.
These users liked the author wargame_insomniac for the post:
new guy

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

Why the Multi-Role Ocean Surveillance ships & other assets are so important as the mega project the Dogger Bank wind farm begins to come on line.
https://www.sse.com/news-and-views/2023 ... irst-time/
These users liked the author Jackstar for the post:
wargame_insomniac

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Atmospheric!

Ianmb17
United Kingdom

Post by Ianmb17 »

Topaz marine brochure with Vessel Specifications
mailto:?subject=Topaz%20Tangaroa%20and%20Topaz%20Tiamat%2Fmedia%2FFiles%2FT%2FTopaz%2FAttachments%2Fpdfs%2Four...%C2%A0%C2%B7%20Topaz%20Tangaroa%20and%20Topaz%20Tiamat%20...%20SF%2C%20CLEAN%20DESIGN%2C%20CRANE%2C%20NAUT-AW%2C%20Comf-V%283%29-C%283%29%2C%20BWM-T%2C%20SPS&body=https://dokumen.tips/documents/topaz-ta ... topaz.html
These users liked the author Ianmb17 for the post:
shark bait

AR9
United Kingdom

Post by AR9 »

Both ships are currently in Lairds - the new one for conversion - never seen the MoD move so quickly!

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

AR9 wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 17:41 Both ships are currently in Lairds - the new one for conversion - never seen the MoD move so quickly!
Which ships? Tiamet is currently somewhere north of Australia heading for Singapore.

AR9
United Kingdom

Post by AR9 »

I’ll have to check tomorrow but when I went to the DIY shop this morning there is another blue ship in Lairds that looks exactly like Proteus

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

AR9 wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 19:47 I’ll have to check tomorrow but when I went to the DIY shop this morning there is another blue ship in Lairds that looks exactly like Proteus
Proteus hasn't been blue for ages.

wirralpete
United Kingdom

Post by wirralpete »

AR9 wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 19:47 I’ll have to check tomorrow but when I went to the DIY shop this morning there is another blue ship in Lairds that looks exactly like Proteus
Yeah saw her myself driving past goin over to Liverpool will try take a photo and post on here during the week

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

wirralpete wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 22:15
Yeah saw her myself driving past goin over to Liverpool will try take a photo and post on here during the week
ais is showing
a calmac ferry - blue and white
a stenna ferry - mostly white
proteus - grey
tiderace -grey

currently at Lairds.

wirralpete
United Kingdom

Post by wirralpete »

Yeah weird just checked on AIS myself was definitely a blue colour similar ship to Proteus questioning myself now 🥴 want me to drive down lol 🤷🏻‍♂️And was in the wet basin with one of the Tides weird it’s not showing up

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

wirralpete wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 22:27 Yeah weird just checked on AIS myself was definitely a blue colour similar ship to Proteus questioning myself now 🥴 want me to drive down lol 🤷🏻‍♂️And was in the wet basin with one of the Tides weird it’s not showing up
proteus isn't blue anymore... Maybe another OSV?

wirralpete
United Kingdom

Post by wirralpete »

Must have been this one left tranmere (lairds) 12 hours ago Boka Topaz now in Liverpool bay/ Irish Sea

AR9
United Kingdom

Post by AR9 »

wirralpete wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 23:53 Must have been this one left tranmere (lairds) 12 hours ago Boka Topaz now in Liverpool bay/ Irish Sea
Phew - been past this morning and it wasn’t there just Proteus so was wondering if I was seeing things

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

AR9 wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 09:09
wirralpete wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 23:53 Must have been this one left tranmere (lairds) 12 hours ago Boka Topaz now in Liverpool bay/ Irish Sea
Phew - been past this morning and it wasn’t there just Proteus so was wondering if I was seeing things
Being Liverpool, bet you thought it had been knicked :lol: