Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Monty1985
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Monty1985 »

I have a friend who works in the harbour and the rumour going around is Friday at around 1325..

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Monty1985 wrote:I have a friend who works in the harbour and the rumour going around is Friday at around 1325..
15th was another date mentioned by my son, as well as the 18th and 29th! Supposedly the Tug masters have been told Friday but as this appeared on FB not sure how valid that comment was. Hightide is 12:49 so perhaps it will be a Friday lunchtime arrival. The QHM Shipping movements webpage generally updates around lunchtime so keep an eye on that.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

PoW neared the Isle Of Wight's west coast, but has turned back west.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:A question I’ve long thought about and will probably never know due to OPSEC reasons, is can a fully laden (fuel & weapons) F35B take off from the deck of the QE class? If so I would imagine take off would be much closer to the stern.
Can the F-35B take off from the CVF's at max TOW? The quick answer is yes, well within the types capabilities. The longer answer is that there will probably be environmental limits that would be classified.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Aethulwulf wrote:The main constraint of RAS is that you are sailing on a fixed bearing and a fixed speed for a long time (could be up to 5 hours).

Of course you need to ensure that you have clear seas ahead of you for the full time of RAS and, if possible, you choose a bearing that is into the wind direction. But wind directions often shift over time.

Flight operations during RAS will depend upon what wind over deck is needed for any launch; during RAS you're stuck with what you've got.
Luckily STOVL ops are much less sensitive to WOD strength & direction. Aircraft can even launch off the stern.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Quite impressive pics here, I wonder how my nipper faired in this sea state. :sick:

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

PhillyJ wrote:
Monty1985 wrote:I have a friend who works in the harbour and the rumour going around is Friday at around 1325..
15th was another date mentioned by my son, as well as the 18th and 29th! Supposedly the Tug masters have been told Friday but as this appeared on FB not sure how valid that comment was. Hightide is 12:49 so perhaps it will be a Friday lunchtime arrival. The QHM Shipping movements webpage generally updates around lunchtime so keep an eye on that.
QHM movements posted for tomorrow and nothing showing regarding channel closures, so not looking likely. I have heard that Saturday Lunchtime is looking favourable at the moment.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

HMS Prince of Wales to arrive in Portsmouth on Saturday 16th November 2019.

Portsmouth predictions (16th):
High Water: 13:24
Weather: Cloudy
Air Temperature: 9°C/48°F
Wind: 8 mph/6.9kts
Chance of Rain: 20%
Rochdale vs Pompey: Away Win :mrgreen:

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

SKB wrote:Portsmouth predictions (16th):
High Water: 13:24
Weather: Cloudy
Air Temperature: 9°C/48°F
Wind: 8 mph/6.9kts
Chance of Rain: 20%
Rochdale vs Pompey: Away Win :mrgreen:
I almost believed your post til I saw that last one! Thankfully I've been too busy watching my young Daughter playing footie to get down to FP to see those last minute equalisers. :crazy:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

There was a gun salute from Portsmouth dockyard at noon too.

cky7
United Kingdom

Post by cky7 »

repeat of post in General discussion as as there’s loads of Relevant discussion to QEs....

Anyone with an interest in military aviation REALLY should check this podcast out. I discovered them through the excellent aircrew interviews on YouTube. Bunch of reallly experienced U.K. pilots chatting aviation and about their experiences - including what they’ve been up to last months. Between them you’re talking guys who’ve flown typhoons, Tonkas, harriers, all the teen US types and the f22 and 35. A guy who has been an instructor and then test pilot for both U.K. and US. currently listening to debate on their feelings on simulators vs real thing, with particular interest in the f35s on QEs. Absolutely fascinating and some snippets I was amazed was freely talked about unclassified. Really check this out, hours of fascinating listening.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Not into models myself (apart from the catwalk type), but just in case anyone is into it...

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(ForcesTV) 14th November 2019
For the first time in nearly a decade, British fighter jets flew from a British aircraft carrier last month. We were the only British broadcaster on board HMS Queen Elizabeth to see the F-35Bs in action. The arrival of the jets meant the carrier strike group could enter the next stage of operational testing.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Things are moving at a pace now with the testing.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Someone has just posted that the NOTAM has been lifted for Saturday. I do not have access to that website, so cannot confirm. :problem:

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

PhillyJ wrote:Someone has just posted that the NOTAM has been lifted for Saturday. I do not have access to that website, so cannot confirm.
Weather doesn't seem that bad, wind wise on saturday, certainly better on sunday though.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Timmymagic wrote:
PhillyJ wrote:Someone has just posted that the NOTAM has been lifted for Saturday. I do not have access to that website, so cannot confirm.
Weather doesn't seem that bad, wind wise on saturday, certainly better on sunday though.
Well it is now up on the QHM website as coming in tomorrow so that's good enough for me. I will be stood on the Jetty freezing my nuts off waiting to see her and my lad home, we also get a visit on board once she is alongside so that's an unexpected bonus.

I can also add that a flypast of sorts is planned, weather dependant, of a couple of 'copters and Hawks.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Official! :clap:

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Once PWLS is in and I'm back home with my nipper I shall raise a glass to Desterswo and all those who have followed this project over the years who cannot be here to see what has been achieved now.

Who would've thought that the RN would have 2 'super' (hate that word) carriers at sea for our future, the fact that I now have a son who is on PWLS is quite amazing having followed this thread in it's earlier days when he was still at school.

BZ to all, really looking forward to tomorrow as apparently Gunner Johnson and the rest of the crew can show their family around once she is alongside, finally I get aboard one and I apologise for the personal gushings and updates over the last few days, he has been missed, apparently!

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

PhillyJ wrote:Once PWLS is in and I'm back home with my nipper I shall raise a glass to Desterswo and all those who have followed this project over the years who cannot be here to see what has been achieved now.
Desertswo was a lovely guy, popped up on loads of forums, always with some decent info.

Enigmatically

Post by Enigmatically »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:I take it from episode 3, SRVL is a tricky one. Or perhaps artistic licence from the director. Is it the case that SRVL can only be performed in calm seas/weather or were they playing it cautious?
If anybody can throw some light on this, it would be good. I just hope it’s not a red hearing. I Just feel it should be the norm for QE class landings, engine wear and tear alone.
As has been said, early testing of a completely new technique, they were bound to play it very safe.

The voice-over did rather overdo it though

May I also say congratulations to Glenn Peters, he was IMO (apart from the ship of course) the star of the series and a wonderful example of the the RN to show. During build I did note that the window out of that cabin would make a great viewing spot!

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Welcome back to the Forum E, my lad is on PWLS so really looking forward to tomorrow!

Phil R
United Kingdom

Post by Phil R »

PhillyJ wrote:I shall raise a glass to Desterswo and all those who have followed this project over the years who cannot be here to see what has been achieved now.
Hear hear!

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

I felt rather sorry for Glenn Peters at the end. He looked totally lost without his Captain.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Dahedd wrote:I felt rather sorry for Glenn Peters at the end. He looked totally lost without his Captain.
Me too, such a devotion and I guess that's what makes a good Steward. I wonder what happened after the new Capt got removed.