Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Ares
Japan

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Ares »

As for other opportunities, BAE Systems is watching government-to-government talks between the United Kingdom and Japan on future fighter technologies. The development of the UK's Tempest fighter, in which BAE plays a role, will coincide with Japan's efforts to replace the Mitsubishi F-2 with an advanced fighter developed locally or in conjunction with international partners.

Tokyo has yet to decide how it will proceed, but appreciates the opportunities offered by international partners. US companies such as Boeing and Lockheed Martin have also provided information to Tokyo.

Another area where Pheiffer sees a possible opportunity is Tokyo's intention to modify two Izumo class helicopter destroyers to carry Lockheed Martin F-35B fighters.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... pl-458642/
Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier's F-35B operation system for Izumo Class maybe? :clap:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Ares wrote:Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier's F-35B operation system for Izumo Class maybe? :clap:
Before:

After:
IZUMA.SKB.jpg
:mrgreen: :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

*at sea from QE. (HMS Ocean, HMS Ark Royal & HMS Illustrious have already done it)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Warship TV) 28th June 2019
Used to transfer personnel between the carrier and base / port when HMS Queen Elizabeth cannot enter port, ALN 138 PTB (Personnel Transfer Boat) 'Swordfish' crosses Plymouth Sound transferring personnel from Devonport to HMS Queen Elizabeth moored at Anchor No. 23 by the Breakwater.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Ralph Astley) 29th June 2019
The Royal Navy's new aircraft carrier entering Plymouth Sound and anchoring south of the breakwater, followed by scenes of activity on, around and above her.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Thanks for sharing, great to see some Apache's onboard !!! ( they do look small on the flight deck but sometimes the QEC looks small without aircraft thanks to the great big windows until you see the size of the people scampering around !!! looking forward the seeing what the next few months bring :clap:

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Is it correct that f35b trials of the Queen Elizabeth class provided information for the situating of the ramp on the Trieste class ship?

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Well, it is very, very likely it has. That, and the ramp at Patuxent River, since they are still the only ski jumps the F-35 has worked with.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Well according to @TugmasterRob, who just helped tow in an Utah class SSBN to Faslane (USS Alaska), he will be back at Pompey in a couple of weeks for when HMS QE wants to come back in. I assumed she would be off for WESTLANT19 once she'd completed FOST from where she was. Still, it will be good to see her back in as the view on my ride in to work is a bit sparse without her there!

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Won't it be great when there are two there! The shame with that is that we will also know that there is not another one at Sea. :D

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/p ... en-3052014

"Royal Navy captain of HMS Queen Elizabeth quits after being stripped of command"

A shame to lose someone with such experience over such an incident....

clivestonehouse1
United Kingdom

Post by clivestonehouse1 »

dmereifield wrote:https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/p ... en-3052014

"Royal Navy captain of HMS Queen Elizabeth quits after being stripped of command"

Technically he committed fraud and theft.
All official trips have to be logged on a vehicle utilisation record sheet.
He was stealing fuel and driving without insurance (MoD insurance is a blanket policy for all vehicles not individual ones and only for officially authorised trips).
If you check a MoD registration on something like the motor insurance database you won't get any results.
If I draw a vehicle to attend meetings or courses I have to use the most direct & economical route and can't drive the vehicle other than to / from the authorised destination except in an emergency or for other pre-authorised reasons.
All vehicles are on a tracker system so unauthorised usage is easy to spot.

True it's a sad occurrence but he should have known better and was expected to hold himself to a higher standard befitting a senior officer.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Sad to see his career ruined by a bit of personal greed, but as he has broken the rules he had no choice but to resign.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11492 ... xy-inquiry

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

clivestonehouse1 wrote:
dmereifield wrote:https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/p ... en-3052014

Technically he committed fraud and theft.
All official trips have to be logged on a vehicle utilisation record sheet.
He was stealing fuel and driving without insurance (MoD insurance is a blanket policy for all vehicles not individual ones and only for officially authorised trips).
If you check a MoD registration on something like the motor insurance database you won't get any results.
If I draw a vehicle to attend meetings or courses I have to use the most direct & economical route and can't drive the vehicle other than to / from the authorised destination except in an emergency or for other pre-authorised reasons.
All vehicles are on a tracker system so unauthorised usage is easy to spot.

True it's a sad occurrence but he should have known better and was expected to hold himself to a higher standard befitting a senior officer.

Thanks for info. A shame really, but rather silly of him if the rules are that rigid (seem excessively so to me) and it's that easy to track

clivestonehouse1
United Kingdom

The rules are tight mainly because of the likelyhood of misuse and a waste of funds for fuel not used for duty travel.
All my driving has to be signed off by a line manager.
We even mave POT codes for various usage requirements that have to be entered on the VUR sheets.
Every vehicle has to be 'first paraded' in that we complete forms to identify damage, faults and other things like fuel / coolant / screenwash / oil / tyres / cleanliness etc...
The forms are basically like ones used by many car hire companies.
We have a duty to care for vehicles procured with public funds and because any vehicle I use has the potential to be driven by 100+ people during a month the records are kept to keep track of servicability and readiness.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

All depends on where you work in the MoD, it's not like as soon as you deviate a hundred yards from the shortest route a load of alarm bells go off in MT. They don't check every journey using tracker against every journey on every vehicle. There's not enough hours in the day. They'll use it when they need evidence, if someone suspects something.
Plus it's different if you've vehicles signed out to you or your section permanently, less oversight then obviously.

clivestonehouse1
United Kingdom

Unless your line manager is a micro-managing prat like mine.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

clivestonehouse1 wrote:Unless your line manager is a micro-managing prat like mine.

You know what they say, people manage the most complicated thing they understand.

I didn't know line managers had to sign off on mt requests. Ours are booked online, thankfully we get treated like grown ups. But I agree some places are ridiculously anal about MT.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Does anyone have any news on how the POW is getting on?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

And whatever happened to that promised second BBC series of "Britain's Biggest Warship" ? The Ford Galaxy incident is likely to be an interesting challenge in series continuity and editing... :mrgreen:

Page 400 btw ^ :clap:

Wrekin1410

Post by Wrekin1410 »

SKB wrote:And whatever happened to that promised second BBC series of "Britain's Biggest Warship" ? The Ford Galaxy incident is likely to be an interesting challenge in series continuity and editing... :mrgreen:

Late Summer or Autumn