Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
SKB
England

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by SKB »

and:
(Alan @Hunterr1) Found in a tweet ^

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

benny14 wrote:depends on what the buy rate is
To be frank, it is not worth buying more until these things (ainonline June reporting from Farnborough) have been tested, not in isolation (unit test with the engine in 2019) but with proper integration test (that is only starting next year with the newest - once again patched - 3F incarnation of JSF).

"P&W is offering the new optional package as a result of the perceived need for an improved power and thermal management system (PTMS) to accompany the upgrades to the F-35 that Lockheed Martin is proposing. Lockheed Martin describes these as a continuous capability development and delivery (C2D2) strategy, but some are also known as the Block 4 upgrade. The upgrade program is scheduled to begin next year but is still under negotiation by the F-35 Joint Program Office.

The Growth Option 2.0 upgrades will result from P&W’s adaptive-cycle R&D effort focusing on third-airstream capability, adaptive-cycle controls, and new materials, with the company planning to “take the technologies as they mature and insert them into existing engines,”

So, 2019 (at least) for both the integrated SW and the new engine, in isolation. Then P&W says 4 years for the actual prgrm, to get a production rate engine
... and voi la! It will be 2024, when we are due to complete with deliveries in Jan. The rest of the decade might be taken up by the upgrades needed to be made to the early batch - who knows?

A mere coincidence? Or keeping mushrooms in the dark and (drip)feeding with... :D
- whether we have any money or not; that's the question :(
- at least we will have put ourselves into a position where there are real (VFM & mature) options :thumbup:
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Most of the comment on the capability of the carrier centres around the f35b quite rightly of course , but as a carrier of the Merlin able to hold several at a time working with two type 23 s it could provide a very effective asw patrol 24/7

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

One thing you don't want to do with your strike carrier is go sub hunting. A lesson from history!

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Quite obviously you do want to hunt for any enemy submarines in the vicinity of the carrier, but you do not want to use the carrier to act as a "Sub Hunter" because that is not it's purpose.

benny14
United Kingdom

Post by benny14 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:A mere coincidence? Or keeping mushrooms in the dark and (drip)feeding with... :D
Our last 48 orders should be delivered by 2023, 2024 at the latest. By that date they will have negotiated the next batch of purchases to follow on. Obviously dependent on what the total planned numbers are by then and how quickly we can afford to buy them.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

The current 10 year equipment plan doesn’t cover any additional fighter purchases beyond the 48 and it runs several years past 2023/4. Out of which budget do you think project tempest will get the majority of its funds?do you think there will room for much else in combat air?

With both type 26 and successor taking a large chunk of procurement budget in this time frame as well I see little head room appearing.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

I would not suggest the carrier as a sole function sub hunter , the mix of aviation assets carried will be aimed per task the amount of Merlin's carried will be critical in some sense to the defence of the group as the f35 if the carrier were not to carry the Merlin's and to rely on the asw frigates that have one or two Merlin's that would not likely mean 24/7 availability of helicopter coverage when you consider the downtime after flight of a helicopter

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

I will add this also before we get into its all the RAFs fault about numbers ect. The fleet air arm purchased 56 FA2 sea harriers and used 2 operational sqns will f35 is newer and attrition buy will be less it would be a point of reference to what was regularly deployed.

Seaspear i would say your correct but I would suggest the carrier will always carry merlins.

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

I suspect this forum will go into meltdown when their guests do arrive.. :crazy:

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

I'm sure we have discussed this before, but what is that little lift for visible in that shot. HMWHS pops up into the islands and hanger, I didn't think it came up to such an exposed position?

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

Digger22 wrote:I'm sure we have discussed this before, but what is that little lift for visible in that shot. HMWHS pops up into the islands and hanger, I didn't think it came up to such an exposed position?
786A89E1-D2B0-422D-AFA3-E0632D14F6DB.jpeg
This is the HMWHS lift from the magazine, as you say the lift on the flight deck doesn’t look sturdy enough to be involved with weapon handling. Haven’t been able to find anything relating to that part of the flight deck though. I think we have discussed it but I can’t recall..
2BBEE8C5-1196-4633-82B7-D0CB0B0B9438.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wrekin1410

Post by Wrekin1410 »

Digger22 wrote:I'm sure we have discussed this before, but what is that little lift for visible in that shot. HMWHS pops up into the islands and hanger, I didn't think it came up to such an exposed position?
I read something about this recently but can’t remember the exact source. The article stated it’s for striking general stores that are airlifted onto the flight deck.

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

Makes sense. Can't recall anything similar on other carriers, so is it unique to QE class? saves main lift use too for more important things. Cheers.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(ON THE ROGER) 23 September 2018
HMS Queen Elizabeth (R08), Royal Navy. F-35B FOCFT, Norfolk naval base, Westlant18. Report by Hugh Lessig, Norfolk Daily Press, September 2018.
^ I think this video was recorded on Friday 21 September before the QE sailed yesterday, as Hugh Lessig also tweeted these photos on the 21st:
(Hugh Lessig @hlessig)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Some news concerning Rosyth's "Goliath" crane, which has been abseiled over the last few days to raise money for charities....
:shock:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Weather related?

benny14
United Kingdom

Post by benny14 »

SDL wrote:Weather related?
Too much Lightning... :lol:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Heres the video from that article. Interesting to hear about the future proofing and aircraft capacity from Captain Jerry Kyd himself.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Thanks for pointing out the comments; one has to agree with the following (and it takes an interview with a 3-* for messages to different audiences being balanced, to further the getting to "the" right result):
"There is a certain amount of jaundice in defense reporting, none of which is very helpful to readers, analysts, or observers. Competitors or enemies are often ridiculed for how unsophisticated their gear is or how poorly trained or lacking in experience they are when it suits our fancy, yet in another article are branded as existential threats and in many cases superior to us.

[...] Never mind that we contradict ourselves on an almost daily basis, one day telling everyone we are the best by far and that we can and will kill anyone who opposes us and the next screeching, wailing, and bemoaning our complete and utter vulnerability to foes"
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Ron5 wrote:The comments are a fun read:

https://breakingdefense.com/2018/09/fir ... elizabeth/
Comments section was an interesting read, well it put a smile on my dial for a wet old day in Sydney town sitting around

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

The comment on" future proofing with electric catapults "for uavs would this be powerful enough for the mq-25 refuelling drone under development in preference to the Osprey

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

seaspear wrote:The comment on" future proofing with electric catapults "for uavs would this be powerful enough for the mq-25 refuelling drone under development in preference to the Osprey
I think I bigger question would be is it can laurch a MQ-25 can it recover them with out assertion gear ?