Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Post by Lord Jim »

Its been going on for decades, first with the number of aircraft per squadron dropping then the Jaguar going early but not replaced, then the Tornado T3s only being partially replaced. One of the key enablers of this policy was the decision to drastically reduce the numbers of aircraft the RAF was tasked with being able to deploy by almost two thirds. Add to this the usually argument that then newer planes can do more than the ones being replaced and so on. As I have said before the RAF/FAA is going to have a maximum of nine fast jet units going forward of which a third at most will be F-35s. That will give the RAF a pool of between 48 and 72 Typhoons and 24 to 36 F-35s to meet all its tasks.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

:clap:

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Harry at the event. Made me laugh. I'm sure he would be the first to admit the uni makes him look a duffus.
prince harry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Watched the flypast on TV before running out the door for work. And for all the hard work the RAF’s boy's and girl's, the BBC director needed shooting, absolutely useless.

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

Ron5 wrote:Harry at the event. Made me laugh. I'm sure he would be the first to admit the uni makes him look a duffus.
prince harry.jpg
Well as one of the many who have worn those mud guards with pride, with different wings may I say you are speaking out of your third lung.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

DID picks up a Janes story that the first few of these are already flying:
"The Project Centurion configuration is intended to combine the already-delivered Raytheon Paveway IV precision-guided bomb, and the Storm Shadow, Meteor beyond-visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM), and Brimstone on the Typhoon FGR4 in time for the retirement of the Tornado in April 2019."

Can't be called JIT as there is 3 qtrtrs of a year left... now: how many will be there when all Tornados cease flying?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

20% of the fleet in one image, nice!
@LandSharkUK

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

I seen we have bought Amraam D for our F-35's till meteor comes online, I know we cant integrate meteor into the the T1 typhoons but could we integrate the Amraam D's?

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Jdam wrote:I seen we have bought Amraam D for our F-35's till meteor comes online, I know we cant integrate meteor into the the T1 typhoons but could we integrate the Amraam D's?
Yes, although I don't believe the T1s can use the two-way datalink.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/defe ... be-testbe/
Eurofighter, for example, will need greater connectivity, as well as sensor and data fusion that will mean a cockpit technology 'refresh' leading to high-resolution displays. Additionally, EJ-200 engine power will need to be boosted by 15%.

'Eurofighter, with the EJ-200 engine, already has the best engine in its class in the world today,' said Clemens Linden, CEO at Eurojet Turbo 'But we can make it even better delivering a 15% increase in thrust, to ensure that Eurofighter Typhoon can maintain its combat edge in the future'
Sounds like they're possibly planning more upgrades at least to testing aircraft for Tempest's capabilities.

Really clever idea to get back on the bandwagon of testing on existing aircraft to proof the future one before its even here.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces TV) 3rd July 2018
While the aircrew has a vital role in protecting our country - there are many more people who play their part in getting these hi-tech jets off the ground

(Forces TV) 10th July 2018
A single-seater that was initially an air-to-air fighter, the Typhoon is now a multi-role aircraft. It's currently the RAF's operational fighter jet and created the amazing '100' formation during the RAF 100 flypast on 10 July 2018.

(Forces TV) 13th July 2018
RAF Typhoon pilots from 1 Squadron are preparing to deploy to Romania in the next few weeks to provide the country with Quick Reaction Alert. They will take over from their Lossiemouth colleagues, 2 Squadron, who are currently there as part of NATO’s enhanced air policing mission.

-Eddie-
United Kingdom

Post by -Eddie- »

Typhoon with various upgrade proposals.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(RAF) 19th July 2018
Join an RAF pilot in the cockpit of a Typhoon conducting joint training with Croatian Air Force MIG 21s from Pleso Air Force base Zagreb.

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Typhoons in Croatia, Soft power at work?
How many tranche 1 jets do we have stored away never to fly again? Would there be an argument in favour of gifting such jets to the likes of Croatia & other former Soviet block NATO members?

Probably a million reasons why its not practical but I thought I'd ask.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Dahedd wrote:robably a million reasons why its not practical but I thought I'd ask.
The support costs for Typhoon would cripple them, I'm afraid to say second hand F-16 would be their best bet.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

-Eddie- wrote:phoon with various upgrade proposals.
The AMK is interesting. Initially it was all about low speed agility, which didn't seem to interest the RAF, understandably, as the Typhoon is a high energy fighter. Like the F-22 that is where its advantage lies. It will win every fight if it stays in that regime, no need for it to 'dogfight' at a low speed. But the other benefits could be worthwhile pursuing...all comes down to price though..and does it have any effect on speed and manoeuvrability at height/high speed.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Timmymagic wrote:
Dahedd wrote:robably a million reasons why its not practical but I thought I'd ask.
The support costs for Typhoon would cripple them, I'm afraid to say second hand F-16 would be their best bet.
Agreed. They can't afford Typhoons. And they allready have decided to buy second hand Israeli F-16s anyway.
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

Bulgaria has issued a request for proposals (RFP) for a new jet fighter, the country’s deputy defence minister, Anatoliy Metodiev Velichkov, announced on 17 July. The RFP has been sent to the governments of the United States, Israel, Portugal, Germany, Italy, France, and Sweden. The Bulgarian MoD requested offers for six different types of combat aircraft: the single-engine Lockheed Martin F-16 and the Saab JAS 39 Gripen and twin-engine Boeing F/A-18 C/D Hornet, Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, Eurofighter Typhoon, and Dassault Rafale.

Four different offers can be expected for the F-16: newly produced F-16Vs and second-hand F-16C/Ds from the United States; F-16C/D Baraks from Israel; and mid-life update F-16A/Bs from Portugal. Other likely offers from the United States include newly-produced and second-hand F/A-18E/F Super Hornets, as well as used F/A-18C/D Hornets.

Germany is expected to offer newly produced Eurofighter Typhoons and Italy second-hand Tranche 1 Typhoons from the Italian Air Force’s inventory. Sweden is likely to offer new and used JAS 39C/D Gripen fighters.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

Plenty to choose from!

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Yep, about Portuguese, will they have any F-16 left?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/qata ... nto-action

Sale of 24 Typhoons (and 9 Hawks) to Qatar confirmed....

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

dmereifield wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/news/qata ... nto-action

Sale of 24 Typhoons (and 9 Hawks) to Qatar confirmed....
This is great news as there was some concern about when the first payment would be received, particularly as this single deal represented such a large percentage of the UK's export credit guarantees from central government.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Good news, also extra 3 Hawks that will help keep that line open a bit longer.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Why do Qatar need their jets on finance?
@LandSharkUK