Boxer / Mechanised Infantry Vehicle (MIV)

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: British Army Future Wheeled APC

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:No doubt, in UK service, our B kits will differ slightly from the original versions. We've already seen one at DSEI sporting an anti-RPG nets which, to my understanding, are not part of the usual B kit offering.
Thanks, sounds v sensible, and adaptive to circumstances... to sum it up: cost effective
Lord Jim wrote:If you start sticking 30mm on 4x4s even if they are lightly armoured, somebody will always decide that are true AFVs and start using them as such.
Looks to me that there would be no change (exc. to the better; even though one can always dispute whether recce wagons - short of 40t :D - are AFVs) https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... b0j7hKHWVA
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Lord Jim wrote:If you start sticking 30mm on 4x4s even if they are lightly armoured, somebody will always decide that are true AFVs and start using them as such.
And enemies will start prioritising them as AFV too!

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I have always liked the Israeli way of thinking, with many of their AFVs be they light or heavy, they stick as many 12.7mm and 7.62mm Machine Guns as is feasible. Most seem to have at least one of the former and two of the latter in addition to an co-axial weapons installed. Definitely allows them to keep the oppositions heads down.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Sure, but the three probably derive more from the need in urban battle to be able to immediately open up, even to movement rather than just incoming fire
- 120 degree constant watch is doable with a little bit of head turning... not so easily done from under armour cover
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

If you linked one or more of the weapon stations to a fire location detector or whatever they are called these days you would speed up the reaction time.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Lord Jim wrote:Most seem to have at least one of the former and two of the latter in addition to an co-axial weapons installed. Definitely allows them to keep the oppositions heads down.
Thats actually as a result of their first real urban warfare experience in 1982, it was a bit of an act of desperation due to not having much training or doctrine for FIBUA. Better than nothing in an urban area.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

It might have been an act of desperation but they found out it worked and have carried on fitting multiple MGs on their AFVs ever since.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Here is a possible candidate for the Boxer to give the "Strike" brigades some more firepower.
https://www.janes.com/article/82673/raf ... -spike-er2

Luke jones

Post by Luke jones »

Lord Jim wrote:Here is a possible candidate for the Boxer to give the "Strike" brigades some more firepower.
https://www.janes.com/article/82673/raf ... -spike-er2
Looks ideal.
Could that be just on an RWS type job or a more dedicated Swingfire type Boxer variant?

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I was thinking more of a Striker style over watch platform but more so give the range and capabilities of the system.

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Has there been any more solid info on the numbers of boxers were looking at, Iv read and heard in various places any where from 500 to 1500

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

The 1500 is the old 'future orders' carrot on a stick to try and lower the unit cost. Any manufacturer worth their salt should know to ignore it.
@LandSharkUK

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

shark bait wrote:The 1500 is the old 'future orders' carrot on a stick to try and lower the unit cost. Any manufacturer worth their salt should know to ignore it.
To me it would make sence to order and high number of boxer and Ajax varients, so eventually all our medium armour is replace by just 2 family's ( wheeled by boxer and track by Ajax )

I know this would need a large up front cost but that would be out weighed by the huge saving in training and maintaince through the long term

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Absolutely. GD are offering and IFV version of Ajax to Australia for as part of Land 400, giving us a great opportunity to cooperate on Ajax and Bower.

Now is the time to cancel Warrior and forge ahead with a common platform, but I don't think the Army have the stomach or money for such a move.
@LandSharkUK

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

shark bait wrote:Absolutely. GD are offering and IFV version of Ajax to Australia for as part of Land 400, giving us a great opportunity to cooperate on Ajax and Bower.

Now is the time to cancel Warrior and forge ahead with a common platform, but I don't think the Army have the stomach or money for such a move.
The problem is not the army but the politians they think too short term only on keeping year on year budget the same.

HMG need to start long term plans for what's best for each service and gets best value for tax payers money, if this means larger up front cost yet less cost as each project goes on then so be it.

I'd like to see both the Ajax IFV and boxer IFV in our service but fitted with the CT40 to keep comonality

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

I'm afraid the army definitely is a big part of the problem. If army 2020 and Ajax show something, that something is how confused the army is about what it wants to do.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I think that is being a bit unfair on the Army. Yes their plans are confused but they are being asked to de more than at any other time with far less resources, funding is not secured to any extent to allow old and obsolete equipment to be replaced or even effectively modernised. The programmes that are in going have their funding fluctuate year on year and are forced to slow down to a crawl as other priorities arise with no new money. Army 2020 was an attempt to square the circle and ended up actually meeting none of the aspirations effectively. The Ten year equipment plans are an attempt to improve things but the majority of the funding has to be underpinned by efficiency savings, something the Treasury seems to think are infinite. With funding so tight the Army is overly cautious about those programmes that are moving forward and is desperate to future proof them. The delays and lack of momentum mean these programmes are also overtaken by changes in requirement leading to changes in specification and design. What should happen core example is a core "Vanilla" design should be approved and procured in a swift manner that meets say 75 to 80 percent of the Army's requirements. Once in service then it can be improved over time to cover requirements as they materialise. Unfortunately for the Army the indecision and changing of requirements means nothing actually gets delivered within the planned timeframe if at all.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Better put this here to get everyone excited....

Can carry Brimstone, CAMM with a E/O sensor or Brimstone Dual Mode seeker.

And ground launched Meteor....what ever that is or does.

Exactor replacement, Long Range ATGM overwatch anyone?

I should add would a CAMM anti armour variant need a warhead? Kinetic Energy penetration alone should be colossal at the speed it goes at...

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Lord Jim wrote:I think that is being a bit unfair on the Army. Yes their plans are confused but they are being asked to de more than at any other time with far less resources, funding is not secured to any extent to allow old and obsolete equipment to be replaced or even effectively modernised. The programmes that are in going have their funding fluctuate year on year and are forced to slow down to a crawl as other priorities arise with no new money. Army 2020 was an attempt to square the circle and ended up actually meeting none of the aspirations effectively. The Ten year equipment plans are an attempt to improve things but the majority of the funding has to be underpinned by efficiency savings, something the Treasury seems to think are infinite. With funding so tight the Army is overly cautious about those programmes that are moving forward and is desperate to future proof them. The delays and lack of momentum mean these programmes are also overtaken by changes in requirement leading to changes in specification and design. What should happen core example is a core "Vanilla" design should be approved and procured in a swift manner that meets say 75 to 80 percent of the Army's requirements. Once in service then it can be improved over time to cover requirements as they materialise. Unfortunately for the Army the indecision and changing of requirements means nothing actually gets delivered within the planned timeframe if at all.
I know it's all politics', but I would like to see a defence chief stand up and say "no, can't be done" or "this is wasting time and money - this is a better option (in the long term)".

What??? I can day dream can't I !?! :crazy:

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Worth reading if only for the good news on Boxer. Also tidbits on Warrior, NGWLS, and MFP!

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... -millbrook

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/brit ... -announces

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Little J wrote:
Lord Jim wrote:I think that is being a bit unfair on the Army. Yes their plans are confused but they are being asked to de more than at any other time with far less resources, funding is not secured to any extent to allow old and obsolete equipment to be replaced or even effectively modernised. The programmes that are in going have their funding fluctuate year on year and are forced to slow down to a crawl as other priorities arise with no new money. Army 2020 was an attempt to square the circle and ended up actually meeting none of the aspirations effectively. The Ten year equipment plans are an attempt to improve things but the majority of the funding has to be underpinned by efficiency savings, something the Treasury seems to think are infinite. With funding so tight the Army is overly cautious about those programmes that are moving forward and is desperate to future proof them. The delays and lack of momentum mean these programmes are also overtaken by changes in requirement leading to changes in specification and design. What should happen core example is a core "Vanilla" design should be approved and procured in a swift manner that meets say 75 to 80 percent of the Army's requirements. Once in service then it can be improved over time to cover requirements as they materialise. Unfortunately for the Army the indecision and changing of requirements means nothing actually gets delivered within the planned timeframe if at all.
I know it's all politics', but I would like to see a defence chief stand up and say "no, can't be done" or "this is wasting time and money - this is a better option (in the long term)".

What??? I can day dream can't I !?! :crazy:
Of course you can dream as with so many top brass in all three services an officer can always be replaced by his political master if he doesn't tow the line. The only thing that affects politicians is the electorate and if something can prevent them form continuing to enjoy the "Gravy Train", that is politics in this country.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I sense some new energy in the new minister's address (he had obviously been given some bullet points, but managed to keep it all in plain English). And what are all these things?
" we’re investing in sophisticated systems like Defence Targeting Toolset (DTT).

By allowing users…whether based in theatre or back in the UK…to see exactly the same thing…this remarkable piece of software enables Military Targeteers to co-ordinate Land and Air strikes against enemy targets more effectively…improving the speed and accuracy of decision making in complex targeting situations.

In addition, we’re introducing several new projects

We’re creating a Next Generation Weapon Locating System (NGWLS) that will sustain our capability to detect, acquire, track and assess current and future Land Environment indirect fire threats.

And we’re bringing in new Mobile Fires Platform (MFP) that provide our Army with a 155mm artillery capability…embracing 21st century technology…capable of supporting both Divisional deep fight and Strike. Repurposing old kit"
- there's also a hint that the first batches of JPTVs are going to the Strike bdes; logical as they will need protection also in the "rear" if they operating, as stated, in a distributed fashion

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:And we’re bringing in new Mobile Fires Platform (MFP) that provide our Army with a 155mm artillery capability…embracing 21st century technology…capable of supporting both Divisional deep fight and Strike. Repurposing old kit"
The last bit was a misreading of his speech by the minister. The next section was talking abut repurposing and he read it too soon by mistake.

My guess for MFP is a small order for the French Caesar artillery system. The BA have been trialing it for ever.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ron5 wrote: My guess for MFP is a small order for the French Caesar artillery system. The BA have been trialing it for ever.
That's what I thougth, too. And putting it onto a MAN truck... he-heh: repurposing :)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
Ron5 wrote: My guess for MFP is a small order for the French Caesar artillery system. The BA have been trialing it for ever.
That's what I thougth, too. And putting it onto a MAN truck... he-heh: repurposing :)
A longer shot would be Donar on a Boxer chassis: