Ocean Class Helicopter Carrier (LPH) (1998-2018) (ex RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Re: Ocean Class Helicopter Carrier (LPH) (1998-2018) (ex RN)

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

In the first photo, there is an apparent extension (added float?) of hull. What is it? It was there from the beginning?

Sunk at Narvik
United Kingdom

Post by Sunk at Narvik »

I believe that was added later as the landing craft when lowered were riding under the hull.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Tempest414 wrote:looking at the pictures above maybe we should have given her a 150/200 million pound refit with new engines - gen sets and so on and kept her going for another 25 years and sold one of the Albions
:thumbup:
Well, maybe not 25, but about 10 years definitly...
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

inch

Post by inch »

yes its been a cracking ship and I bet all those who served on her are gutted she going as a lot on here are ,myself included .brazil going to do her proud im sure of it and we will hopefully see here again in our ports sometime in the future for a visit

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

inch wrote:yes its been a cracking ship and I bet all those who served on her are gutted she going as a lot on here are ,myself included .brazil going to do her proud im sure of it and we will hopefully see here again in our ports sometime in the future for a visit

About HMS Ocean, she reminds me on my old Ford Fiesta and reasons why I haven't sell her after I have bought a new Focus. I couldn't get any decent amount of money for her ( for that amount I can't buy a decent bike or Chinese scooter ) and while I still have operational costs ( insurance and registration, repairs etc. ), but I have a car that's still in good working order, that I can use for anything without thinking much what will happen to it, not to mention that I have allways ready replacement car if anything happens to Focus. Yes, it's expensive, but it would be even more expensive without that car.
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

As if the Wave news wasn't bad enough, now the UK is losing an Artisan radar and four more LCVPs when it already has an unclear future for its landing craft.

It never ends.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

RetroSicotte wrote:As if the Wave news wasn't bad enough, now the UK is losing an Artisan radar and four more LCVPs when it already has an unclear future for its landing craft.

It never ends.
I hope some people are beginning to realise that the Conservatives have never been strong on defence. That's not to say Labour under Corbyn would be any better. We need a new political party or 2 to replace the 2 we have at the moment...its the only way they'll learn.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

I guess it is the 4 LCVP already announced to decommission, I guess. If so, that's it. I do not know what LCVP PoW is going to carry, but I guess the number is "enough". Anyway, boat-based amphibious capability has been reduced, it is clear because only 1 Albion is active, and there is not enough crew for the 2nd one, which means, even in war time, the 2nd LPD will not be re-activated, to my understanding.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Surely this must be in addition to the £80m selling price?

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Poiuytrewq wrote:Surely this must be in addition to the £80m selling price?
I'm sure I read somewhere that the £80milliom price was inclusive of the refit/upgrade work being undertaken? So that the MoD/RN wouldn't be seeing the full amount (if any, unless this sum gets added to the total 2% budget?). Does anyone have any info on this?

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

The MOD gets 55 million, the rest covers the refit and kit.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Thanks, I don't suppose it is clear if this (or indeed, more broadly, any kit sold by the MoD) comes in on top of the 2% budget or if it contributes towards the 2%?

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

donald_of_tokyo wrote:I guess it is the 4 LCVP already announced to decommission, I guess. If so, that's it. I do not know what LCVP PoW is going to carry, but I guess the number is "enough".
The answer is "none", I'm sorry to say man. QE class ships cannot carry LCVP, I'm afraid.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Gabriele wrote:The MOD gets 55 million, the rest covers the refit and kit.

So the actual sale price was 55m and 25m for re-fit, not a bad deal in the end for the Brazilians :o :shifty:

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

Manning issues aside, what a ridiculous decision. A carrier for £55M. A bit like Leicester signing Jonny Evans for £3.5M!
As part of further Education options, bring back a none Combatant version of National service (to stop the conciencious objections) as an alternative to further education or a job, this would positively promote a career in the Military and plug the manning hole (funds permitting) with some deciding to go into the Military full time.

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

So National Service is reintroduced and the Armed Forces end up with those people who can't get a job or a place in further education...

...and these 'special' people enlist for 1 year, or 2 years?

The manning holes are mostly in areas where it takes many years to be come suitably qualified and experienced. Not sure National Service is the answer.

Opening up standard recruitment to take in people from NATO countries could help. Could attract lots of bright and qualified eastern Europeans willing to stay 5-8 years+, who could then take UK military skills and methods back into their own country.

Brexit'ers might not like the idea much...

inch

Post by inch »

im suprized Australia didn't snap ocean up at that price r686 ,im sure you could have found good use for her somehow

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

the Australians already have the 2 Canberra class ships so no need for Ocean but I am sure a lot of Navies would have wanted her at that price

PapaGolf
United Kingdom

Post by PapaGolf »

The inclusion of Artisan could be a very clever move from a future exports point of view.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Very true, the indeginous frigate prgrm managed to push tru one vessel (with a massive delay), nothing much heard from the frigate deal announced with the French about 5 yrs ago (were the vessels BAE built for T&T, but which ended up in Brazil a stop-gap, dictated by finances?) and good old British frigates being used for target practice
- there must be a deal in the offing, may be buying "oceans and fleet oilers" is a matter of putting the savings into the "kitty"?
- or for them to build the nuclear sub (in which case "no deal" for the twenty years that that will take)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

:wtf: :thumbdown:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Some new photo's of "Atlantico" taken by Seb Haggart (@sebh1981) on board RFA Lyme Bay in Devonport:
(Sourced from NavyLookout)

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Do the Brazilian Cougars/Super Pumas have folding rotors & tails? If not they'll surely be a tight fit in Ocean/Atlanticos lifts & hangers.

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

No phalanx and it looks like a new mcg.