Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Tempest414
France

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Tempest414 »

The FSS's are going to be needed to carry out the role they are being built for and that will leave little extra real capability as apart of a amphib group. up until 2005 when Invincible was paid off the Navy had 4 flat tops for me this means that even with 3 carriers the navy felt they needed a LHP a ship built for moving troops we also add to this they felt the need to add the Albion's by 2004. For me this points to the need to replace the Albion's at there OSD if we are to keep a true Amphib capability and for me the only real way to do this is to replace the Albion's and Ocean with 2 LHD's

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Tempest414 wrote:For me this points to the need to replace the Albion's at there OSD if we are to keep a true Amphib capability
No doubt that at OSD "something" will need to be done. Even the NSS [doc] says so.

Howabout the question about what can be done between now and then?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Howabout the question about what can be done between now and then?
shark bait wrote:
Poiuytrewq wrote:The original MARS SSS vessels would carry on as normal. I am proposing adding 2 extra vessels to the MARS SSS order so a total of 5. One of which would replace Argus.
That is similar to the original plan which called for two support vessels for carrier logistics, and three sea bases for amphibious logistics and medical care. For lack of money those two types got rolled into one.
Maybe the original plan needs revisited?

The concepts for the FSS ships are impressive but maybe they are trying to cram too much onto one hull?

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
Tempest414 wrote:For me this points to the need to replace the Albion's at there OSD if we are to keep a true Amphib capability
No doubt that at OSD "something" will need to be done. Even the NSS [doc] says so.

Howabout the question about what can be done between now and then?
If it is just a question of landing spots then POW will be fine as long as we keep the Albion's. How ever for me the idea of making type 31 130 m and giving them a flex deck and a hangar for 2 Merlin's win's as it would give the RN flexibility and if the Albion's are replaced with LHD's a better Amphib group

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

It is feasible to put all that one one hull.

Fort Victoria has a triple hangar, big flight deck, and big wet stores in addition to the dry stores. The replacement will have no wet stores, which frees up some space for something else.
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Tempest414 wrote:If it is just a question of landing spots then POW will be fine as long as we keep the Albion's.
As per the discussion, it is not. It is a question of having enough spots and them aligning with the location of "assets" - be they material or men - to be lifted, while achieving enough concurrency (hence the ferry function, on the cheap) without compromising the primary role of the carrier

- did not append the usual (s) to the end of "carrier" as plans based on ideal availability seldom come to be realised "as it happens for real"
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Alright, guys. We're focusing a little too much on replenishment ships, rather than what this topic is intended for - the carriers. Unless your discussion is in the context of the carriers, please move it to one of the topics linked below:
http://ukdefenceforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=131
http://ukdefenceforum.net/viewtopic.php ... &start=615

_____

One of my favourite shots from Britain's Biggest Warship.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

A way to watch the documentary even from outside the UK would be something i'd really welcome...
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Halidon
United States of America

Post by Halidon »

Gabriele wrote:A way to watch the documentary even from outside the UK would be something i'd really welcome...
A lot of BBC stuff ends up on YouTube in a less-than-official manner. For example, try putting this after the that website's .com and see what happens: /watch?v=3TUvDnax2Fk

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Gabriele wrote:A way to watch the documentary even from outside the UK would be something i'd really welcome...
Youtube has pulled the links...but if you go to www.dailymotion.com and search for 'Britains Biggest Warship' you should be able to get Episode 2 at the least.

Zealot
United Kingdom

Post by Zealot »

If you are on Google Chrome use this; https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... meio?hl=en - Switch to a UK server and go onto BBC.co.uk

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Why is it that this kind of theft is deemed to be OK?

Just asking.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

This is a young forum, but those hankering after Hornets, to get the carrier job done quickly (and with conventional take-off/ arrested landing) would see the trials towards the end of this year... and by next Feb there will not be a single legacy Hornet left in the USN front line:

Stars and Stripes 20 Apr 2018 By Caitlin Doornbos[:]

It's the end of an era for the Navy's F/A-18C Hornet; officials announced the jet's recently completed deployment aboard the USS Carl Vinson was its last

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I fail to understand the relevance of F/A-18 Hornets and the USN in a Royal Navy QE class carrier forum. Ffs... :roll: :evil:

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

SKB wrote:I fail to understand the relevance of F/A-18 Hornets and the USN in a Royal Navy QE class carrier forum. Ffs... :roll: :evil:
It was a popular thing for people to say the QE shoulda just gone with legacy Hornets for simplicity, because people thought the F-35 was a lemon.

His post is making it clear how poor a choice that would have been now the legacy Hornet is basically gone from the USN.

Qwerty
Germany

Post by Qwerty »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:those hankering after Hornets
Sharkey?

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Super Hornets are not though :wave:

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Ron5 wrote:Why is it that this kind of theft is deemed to be OK?

Just asking.
It isn't supposed to be but the rule against piracy and warez must have been removed by mistake in one of the rule revisions. I've added it back though.

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

Can somebody stick episode 2 on YouTube. I’m in Spain and can’t watch it.

Ps mp.net had a huge following of going for legacy hornets and CATOBAR, myself included. But that was when the B was close to being shelved and we were told only one carrier. For me the Dave B having a similar range to to the F18C was the crossover point.

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

Why has my post been edited without notification?

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

brand new carrier with a 90's aircraft?
@LandSharkUK

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Episode 2 of Britain's Biggest Warship is still on the official BBC iPlayer for another 26 days (ends 22 May).

"In At The Deep End" - Series 1, Episode 2.
After eight years in build, HMS Queen Elizabeth embarks on dangerous sea trials in the North Sea. The 700 sailors on board have to test everything on the ship for the first time - from galleys to guns and from power plants to propellers. What is the super carrier's top speed? How manoeuvrable is she and how stable in rough waters?

Meanwhile, the ship's company start the process of becoming a sea-born community. On board is chef Mohamad Khan, who has to work out how to prepare pork dishes without offending his religion, able seaman Ricky Gleeson, who had 49 convictions before he was 21, and Dave Garraghty, the most senior non-commissioned officer on board, with a passion for car boot sales.

After four days at sea, the first aircraft lands on the flight deck and all seems well, but then there is an explosion in a cooling plant, a fuel leak that sprays everyone with diesel and the ship's rubbish disposal system goes wrong. There are also strange knocking sounds coming from underneath the ship.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b11bb1

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

shark bait wrote:brand new carrier with a 90's aircraft?
IIRC the major motivation was the concern at the time that there seemed to be no light at the end of the F-35 tunnel. Buying Super Hornet's was seen as a safe option to get the carrier in to service with a fixed-wing airgroup. Fortunately, things have changed since then.

QEC Eye in the SKY
United Kingdom

Post by QEC Eye in the SKY »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:Can somebody stick episode 2 on YouTube. I’m in Spain and can’t watch it.

Ps mp.net had a huge following of going for legacy hornets and CATOBAR, myself included. But that was when the B was close to being shelved and we were told only one carrier. For me the Dave B having a similar range to to the F18C was the crossover point.
I too was one of those going for the hornets and CATOBAR on QNLZ, if you recall. Having a friend who currently flies the SuperHornet in the USN, I understand how good the SuperHornet is, plus apart from the F35, what other aircraft is currently in production for carrier aviation?

I don't see QNLZ EVER having SuperHornets on her deck this side of 2030, but who knows if we will ever see F35C's on either QNLZ or PWLS after a refit?

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

QEC Eye in the SKY wrote:from the F35, what other aircraft is currently in production for carrier aviation?
That would be the Rafale, the other frequently mentioned alternative to F-35 C and the Rhino ;)