Multi Role Vehicle – Protected - MRV(P)

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Multi Role Vehicle – Protected - MRV(P)

Post by RetroSicotte »

It's the same in any country.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Little J wrote:Like to see who is going to volunteer for the live passenger demo
This has been years in the making, I remember seeing the guy developing it posting about it on Think Defence about 5-6 years ago. It was in testing then, its a brilliant idea.

Can't see many people volunteering for a bomb blast in any vehicle to be honest...

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Equally, one could believe that the whole war in Afghanistan was fought in Helmand... that holds 3% of the population.
Given the percentage of total TIC's that were taking place in Helmand at its peak compared to the rest of Afghanistan they weren't far wrong. Apart from Kunar and Kandahar, both of which were not as intense as Helmand, it was pretty much the epicentre of the war.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Timmymagic wrote:
ArmChairCivvy wrote:Equally, one could believe that the whole war in Afghanistan was fought in Helmand... that holds 3% of the population.
Given the percentage of total TIC's that were taking place in Helmand at its peak compared to the rest of Afghanistan they weren't far wrong. Apart from Kunar and Kandahar, both of which were not as intense as Helmand, it was pretty much the epicentre of the war.
This looks like an update? https://www.longwarjournal.org/archives ... hideen.php If there is a graphic on TIC's it would be interesting to compare (over time)
- looks like, though, that mine-resistant vehicles would be much in demand? A pity we shipped most of them out, and do not know what t do with them now
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

We should have given most of the Mine Protected Vehicles bought through UORs to the UN to issue to peacekeepers etc.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Lord Jim wrote:We should have given most of the Mine Protected Vehicles bought through UORs to the UN to issue to peacekeepers etc.
Sod that. They can have the Vectors...and the Springers...

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I would rather other nations send troops and we give them the kit when it comes to Peacekeeping. This is what the Mastiff etc. was designed for and we won't be doing it again any time soon or at least I hope not. We need at least a decade to get our shit back together and re-equip with the right equipment. MRV(P) is a key part of this especially is we use the 6x6 as an APC to bring at least 4 light role battalions into this century and give some additional mobility to 16 Air Assault.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

The general consensus appears to be that MRV(P) group 2 seems to be a choice between GD's Eagle and Thales' Bushmaster.

Does anyone know what proportion of the content, if any, from each is UK built?
I also wonder if it might make (financial) sense to award the contract to GD for a UK build to offset a possible reduction of Ajax??

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Don't know about the content, but by now the Bushmaster should be a mature product, with nothing left to "iron out" - a pick from TD's chronology regarding medium-weigh capability and concepts of its use:
"A 2004 Sydney Morning Herald story in 2004 summed up the situation:
The army’s new Bushmaster troop carrier sums up what can go wrong with defence purchases. The prototype vehicles were 10 times less reliable than the army wanted. But the army bought them anyway because the only alternative was 20 times less reliable. The original cost was supposed to be $170 million for 370 vehicles. In the end, taxpayers will get 299 vehicles for $329 million. And though taxpayers’ money has been used to develop the vehicles, the army has no patent over any part of the project and no royalty agreement with ADI if the company sells the vehicles overseas. Now that the wrinkles have been ironed out using taxpayer money, that looks likely."
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Didn't we purchase a small number of Bushmaster on the quiet a while back. From what I have been able to find out, those using them were full of praise in their ability to handle the conditions. What modification would be needed to make it more suitable for operations in Europe and Scandinavia?

Frenchie
France

Post by Frenchie »

Nexter develops a new 4x4 vehicle of about 15 tonnes with a stanag 4/4a/4b protection level as part of the light VBMR, if you are not really in a hurry, it would be interesting.

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

It has its own Twitter account...

:-)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Frenchie wrote:Nexter develops a new 4x4 vehicle of about 15 tonnes with a stanag 4/4a/4b protection level as part of the light VBMR, if you are not really in a hurry, it would be interesting.
Hi Frenchie, wiki knew about Bushmaster having made a brief appearance in France (Thales...):
"France : The Bushmaster, under the name of Broussard (Bushmaster in French), "is" competing against a lightened version of Nexter's VBCI and the Renault AMC for a 2,300 vehicle contract to replace the French Army's VABs.[95] France finally selected the Nexter VBMR Griffon"
- would you say that it fell between two stools (Griffon being closer to MIV and Bushmaster, at the same time, not light enough[?] as "light VBMR"?

Frenchie
France

Post by Frenchie »

Hi ACC,
All that is said in wikipedia about the Bushmaster is false, it was not even a candidate for the light VBMR, which is a vehicle that will replace the VABs in the Parachute Brigade and the Mountain Infantry Brigade, the VBMR Griffon being too heavy to be deployed quickly as part of the "L'alerte Guépard" which represents the French Army's emergency ground reaction capability that allows to 700 troops to be deployed in 12 hours, and anyway the paratroopers and the alpines prefers a 15 tonnes vehicles than 25 tonnes Griffons for their mobility, it's the same logic as for the 16AAB and the 3 Commando Brigade.
These vehicles will also be used to replace VLRAs whose I do not know exact number and which serve as a long range patrol vehicle, weapons carrier, light recovery vehicle, troop carrier, ambulance, command and transmission vehicle, cargo and 3,500 liter water or fuel tanker truck.
In total this would represent around 2000 vehicles.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Thanks Frenchie,

I would have been surprised if such a major competition, so close to home, would have passed unnoticed.

Pongoglo
United Kingdom

Post by Pongoglo »

dmereifield wrote:The general consensus appears to be that MRV(P) group 2 seems to be a choice between GD's Eagle and Thales' Bushmaster.

I also wonder if it might make (financial) sense to award the contract to GD for a UK build to offset a possible reduction of Ajax??
Well by sheer co-incidence I had eyes on both contenders yesterday as it happens and whilst I couldn't possibly comment I would have to say that Dmeriefield might just be right on cue, and also that the trials might be happening somewhere close to Aldershot where they do such things :-). Also and before I get jumped on and lectured about OPSEC etc there are no secrets here as they are both parked out in the open and next to a very busy road :-)

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

dmereifield wrote:The general consensus appears to be that MRV(P) group 2 seems to be a choice between GD's Eagle and Thales' Bushmaster.

Given MoD budget and timelines I don't think you'll see platform being constructed in the UK, but it's likely that final fit of any C4I and GVA will be in the UK.

I know Thales have used several sites in the UK for fitting out Warthog and Foxhound. Almost a pop-up shop in the past.

GD have lots of space in Merthyr.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

RunningStrong wrote:

Given MoD budget and timelines I don't think you'll see platform being constructed in the UK, but it's likely that final fit of any C4I and GVA will be in the UK.

I know Thales have used several sites in the UK for fitting out Warthog and Foxhound. Almost a pop-up shop in the past.

GD have lots of space in Merthyr.
Thanks for the info. Do you (or anyone else) know how many we are looking to buy?

Frenchie
France

Post by Frenchie »

dmereifield wrote:Thanks for the info. Do you (or anyone else) know how many we are looking to buy?
https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... -jltv-buy/
The MoD program announcement said the Army would initially require 150 troop carrying vehicles and 80 ambulances but incremental orders would take eventually the numbers up to 300 of each.
It's an old article but that's all I found.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Thanks, fewer than I had expected...

Zealot
United Kingdom

Post by Zealot »

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-purc ... lion-deal/

According to the UK Defence Journal, its 2,747 JLTVs

benny14
United Kingdom

Post by benny14 »

dmereifield wrote:Thanks, fewer than I had expected...
This is originally what was said.

"In January 2017, it was confirmed that the Army had started negotiations to purchase the Oshkosh Joint Light Tactical Vehicle from the United States to fulfil the MRV-P Group 1 requirement. The expectation is that 750 such vehicles will be acquired. For MRV-P Group 2, which will require a larger platform, we understand that three potential suppliers remain in the competition. A contract is expected to be agreed within two years, and initially the Army is expected to buy 150 APCs and 80 ambulances, with this later rising to 300 of each if the money is available."

It was then reported several months later that the MRV-P group 1 has been raised to potentially 2,747 vehicles. It seems that they went from wanting to equip only the strike brigades, to replacing the whole army vehicle fleet. This might also mean that the MRV-P group 2 vehicles have scaled up to match, potentially up to 1000 maybe?

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

As far as I'm aware, think of it like the F-35 buy.

Commit to X number.

Actually buying Y number at a time.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

When do we expect to see the JLTVs actually in service as against service trials etc.?