Type 23 Frigate (Duke Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Re: Type 23 Frigate (Duke Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by Ron5 »

I think you are mixing g's with velocity. But whatever.

Soft launch is nice but doesn't work for big boy missiles.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

[quote="Ron5"]I think you are mixing g's with velocity[/quote

What is G force - to find the meaning of g forces, especially for those who have little or no idea about g forces. Read on.

G-force stands for either the force of gravity on a particular extraterrestrial body or the force of acceleration anywhere, the g-force on an object is its acceleration relative to free-fall. The object experiences this acceleration due to the vector sum of non-gravitational forces acting per unit of the object's mass. These accelerations, also known as "proper accelerations,”

The vector sums at the early part of the launch are simple, as the missile is going in a straight line. Why does it have decrease its acceleration so quickly after the peak has been achieved after one third of a second? In the other two thirds it not only needs to flip, to point in the right direction, but also be rather stable at the point when the rocket motor ignites, at this point being 30 meters higher and practically level (see the video)
- the initial force, and the positional adjustment forces at this point "are spent"
- the much greater thrust force takes over
- this is all common sense (and physics) which one can evidence by the eye... DERA has even measured it
- to me ' and " are not symbols denoting length, but something else (in the maths and physics curriculum at 15)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ron5 wrote: Soft launch is nice but doesn't work for big boy missiles.
This statement is correct; it is in reference books, too.

Going back to the CAMM-sized missiles that we were discussing, the "overhead" I tiried to refer to "in shorthand" - that has to be incorporated into the missile itself for soft launch - can be translated to a 10% range sacrifice... no free lunches in this world, unfortynately.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:can be translated to a 10% range sacrifice... no free lunches in this world, unfortynately.
But we could fit a 30% larger missile in the same space, since no space in needed for hot exhaust management, so surely that offsets the range effect.
Ron5 wrote:Soft launch is nice but doesn't work for big boy missiles.
True, and with a slight variation similar benefits are possible.....

Cold launched, and ignites away from the ship, dispensing the need for hot gas management, whilst maintaining commonality between ship and sub cruise missiles. I like it.
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

shark bait wrote:But we could fit a 30% larger missile in the same space, since no space in needed for hot exhaust management, so surely that offsets the range effect.
We could, indeed. Now let me get the calculator out :) CAMM: 3.2 m[2]
CAMM-ER: 4.0 m[3
And as the booster is all rocket motor+fuel, the range extension is more :idea: than the percentage would let one believe
... and also the Spanish navy is at it, with the latter, not just the Italian Airforce

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Tell it to the russians. They chuck stuff such as S400 out on cold launch, and several ICBMs too, including the Topol M, are ejected cold and ignite outside the laundher...

You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

As standard, along side a manned helicopter, or instead of????

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
Ron5 wrote:I think you are mixing g's with velocity[/quote

What is G force - to find the meaning of g forces, especially for those who have little or no idea about g forces. Read on.

G-force stands for either the force of gravity on a particular extraterrestrial body or the force of acceleration anywhere, the g-force on an object is its acceleration relative to free-fall. The object experiences this acceleration due to the vector sum of non-gravitational forces acting per unit of the object's mass. These accelerations, also known as "proper accelerations,”

The vector sums at the early part of the launch are simple, as the missile is going in a straight line. Why does it have decrease its acceleration so quickly after the peak has been achieved after one third of a second? In the other two thirds it not only needs to flip, to point in the right direction, but also be rather stable at the point when the rocket motor ignites, at this point being 30 meters higher and practically level (see the video)
- the initial force, and the positional adjustment forces at this point "are spent"
- the much greater thrust force takes over
- this is all common sense (and physics) which one can evidence by the eye... DERA has even measured it
- to me ' and " are not symbols denoting length, but something else (in the maths and physics curriculum at 15)
CAMM acceleration stops as soon as the gas piston stops pushing it. Force from the piston starts strong and gets weaker as it transits the cell. Acceleration follows that profile.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
Ron5 wrote: Soft launch is nice but doesn't work for big boy missiles.
This statement is correct; it is in reference books, too.

Going back to the CAMM-sized missiles that we were discussing, the "overhead" I tiried to refer to "in shorthand" - that has to be incorporated into the missile itself for soft launch - can be translated to a 10% range sacrifice... no free lunches in this world, unfortynately.

The is no range penalty for soft launch. Where are you getting this nonsense from??

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
shark bait wrote:But we could fit a 30% larger missile in the same space, since no space in needed for hot exhaust management, so surely that offsets the range effect.
We could, indeed. Now let me get the calculator out :) CAMM: 3.2 m[2]
CAMM-ER: 4.0 m[3
And as the booster is all rocket motor+fuel, the range extension is more :idea: than the percentage would let one believe
... and also the Spanish navy is at it, with the latter, not just the Italian Airforce
If you guys actually looked at a cross section of a Mk41 vs a CAMM cell, you will see that your math is wildly inaccurate.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Gabriele wrote:
Tell it to the russians. They chuck stuff such as S400 out on cold launch, and several ICBMs too, including the Topol M, are ejected cold and ignite outside the laundher...

When I said "work", I implied "work to a western standard for reliability & safety".

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

SKB wrote:
Jones should look up from his desk, other navies have been doing this as standard ops for some time now. 2023 puts the RN well behind the curve.

P.S. in a related announcement, Leonardo says its developing a UK unmanned helo for the RWUAS project and will be ready for the Type 31 also. Work being done in the UK.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ron5 wrote:If you guys actually looked at a cross section
Length and cross section can be used together, for some useful comparators to be produced. Like velocity and acceleration are somewhat related (but far from being the same thing).

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

Jane's is reporting that Chilean Navy is considering buying additional Type 23 frigates after British representatives have said that ships could soon be for sale.

They state that sources have told them that the UK has alerted Chile and Brazil about the potential availability of Type 23 frigates and Albion-class LPDs which could become surplus after the current defence review.

Would this just be a temporary reduction to the 19 FF/DD i.e. selling off the T23 that are currently unmanned but still buying 8 T26 and 5 T31? Or would it be another permanent cut to frigate numbers?

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Assume the worst and you'll not get any nasty surprises.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Aethulwulf wrote:Jane's is reporting that Chilean Navy is considering buying additional Type 23 frigates after British representatives have said that ships could soon be for sale.

They state that sources have told them that the UK has alerted Chile and Brazil about the potential availability of Type 23 frigates and Albion-class LPDs which could become surplus after the current defence review.

Would this just be a temporary reduction to the 19 FF/DD i.e. selling off the T23 that are currently unmanned but still buying 8 T26 and 5 T31? Or would it be another permanent cut to frigate numbers?
Short of a cash miracle, there already is a permanent cut to 8 frigates anyway.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

RetroSicotte wrote:
Short of a cash miracle, there already is a permanent cut to 8 frigates anyway.
shortage of manpower is exacerbating the problem

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

so kent is in refit at minute what other ones are and what stages are they at?

benny14
United Kingdom

Post by benny14 »

marktigger wrote:so kent is in refit at minute what other ones are and what stages are they at?
This is from July so is outdated, but gives you a decent idea what ships have recently been refitted and are in post refit workup.

benny14
United Kingdom

Post by benny14 »

So I just researched it best I can. That graph seems fairly accurate as far as the current situation goes. This is what I came up with on my own.

Currently:
4x Active (No Sea Ceptor)
3x Post Refit (Sea Ceptor)
3x Undergoing Refit (To receive Sea Ceptor)
2x In Maintenance
1x Laid up

Listed from oldest to newest.

HMS Argyll (GP) - Post Refit (Seaceptor)
HMS Lancaster (GP) - Undergoing refit 2017
HMS Iron Duke (GP) - Active
HMS Monmouth (GP) - Active
HMS Montrose (GP) - Post Refit (Seaceptor)
HMS Westminster - Post Refit (Seaceptor)
HMS Northumberland - Undergoing Refit 2017
HMS Richmond - Active
HMS Somerset - Maintenance
HMS Sutherland - Active
HMS Kent - Undergoing Refit 2017,
HMS Portland - Laid up due to lack of crew
HMS St Albans - Maintenance

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Aethulwulf wrote: Or would it be another permanent cut to frigate numbers?
350% this. :lol:
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

SKB
England

Post by SKB »