Boeing P-8A Poseidon (MRA Mk.1) (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Boeing P-8A Poseidon (Future Maritime Patrol Aircraft) (RAF)

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

cky7 wrote:the reason for the spey going in the FG1 ? there is a reason why they changed from the J79 and its not to do with uk jobs!
OK, the suspense is getting to be too much... 8-)

Only 28 of those wonder machines ever served (on carriers). Guess why? 140 were ordered for 5 carriers, only two could take them, one suffered a boiler room fire (so only the Ark remained; when the Eagle finally came back, she was not fitted with the extras to be able to operate Phantoms).

The Spey afterburners generated incredible thrust to cope with the shorter deck take-offs; the plates needed fire hosing after each take off to prevent them from melting.
- the additional bonus from that was a great initial rate of climb ( and agility at lower altitudes)
- the draggy (large) intakes reversed that advantage at higher altitudes (compared to US Phantoms)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

cky7
United Kingdom

Post by cky7 »

ACC,

Many thanks, had been bugging me that one! :) interesting how one hears all about how the Spey phantoms were slower top end and up high but doesn't so often hear about the logical reasons for it and other side of the story. Media do seem tk sometimes assume these highly educated, experienced and highly intelligent people in the forces and MOD are utterly stupid a little too much. Yes, they make balls ups, but I doubt it's that often a case of total incompetence from anyone other than those who refuse tk properly fund the forces. Used to enjoy a couple of the RN chaps comments on TD when they'd give the other side of the coin to someone chipping in with 'if they'd done this x could have been solved easily' type comments (even if they could sometimes be a little too aggressive with some of the responses - no names mentioned!! ;) )

(Despite loving the sea barrier) its Always been one of my favourite if onlys our carrier wings in the 70s and early to mid 80s had we only stuck with the big cat and trap carriers. Phantoms, buccaneers and that proposed carrier AEW aircraft (hawker I think) with the nimrod AEW style front and back radomes. Would have been a match for even the USN (if size difference taken into account) up till when the tomcat started to hit FOC in decent numbers. Ah well another one for my fantasy fleets!

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

cky7 wrote:Media do seem tk sometimes assume these highly educated, experienced and highly intelligent people in the forces and MOD are utterly stupid a little too much.
- well, the tabloid formula is that everyone else (except the reader) is supposedly stupid, but the language to convey that has to fit a reading age of 7
cky7 wrote:that proposed carrier AEW aircraft (hawker I think) with the nimrod AEW style front and back radomes.
- it had everything double, even propellers (think of the counter-rotating ones you still see on the Bears)
cky7 wrote:up till when the tomcat started to hit FOC in decent numbers
- Phantom had a lot of potential. The Israelis had an agile one, with canards, in the pipeline, but went for their wholly-new design instead
- they also had a Mach3 high-up recce Phantom; this one was stopped by the Yanks as they feared losing the SR-71 advantage (or even one of those catching up with theirs and shooting it down "by accident"?)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

^ Inside an Aussie P-8A Poseidon

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Not news but I had a Poseidon really really low over the house just before 1am this morning heading for lossiemouth. Really rather impressive due to the low cloud reflecting the strobes & undercarriage Lighting. Either a Herc or Orion went over about 10 mins before it.

I'm such a geek :D

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Assumed RAF order for nine Boeing P-8 Poseidon was a done deal but DefenseNews reporting from DSEI today article saying "Industry: Let's Compete for UK Maritime Patrol", but it appears not, suggestion that looking for UK content, P-8 100% US.

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... me-patrol/

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

NickC wrote:Assumed RAF order for nine Boeing P-8 Poseidon was a done deal but DefenseNews reporting from DSEI today article saying "Industry: Let's Compete for UK Maritime Patrol", but it appears not, suggestion that looking for UK content, P-8 100% US.

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... me-patrol/
^ Article is dated 2015.

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

@ ~UNiOnJaCk~ Thanks - Missed the date :oops:

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Seen this on Gab's twitter

Britain to purchase MK54 lightweight torpedo array kits destined for P-8 Poseidon

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-purc ... ign=social

At least they wont be unarmed. UK Defence Journal seems to think we will be integrating our own weapons at some point.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I doubt it. The funds to do any UK integration are needed elsewhere and what UK weapon systems would we actually integrate. It makes sense to simply bed borrow or steal whatever the USN puts on their P-8s, given the numbers of rounds needed will be very small and the other NATO nations will probably be doing the same. The exceptions could probably be the Norwegian NSM if they decide to integrate it and other adopt it, or SPEAR 3 when it finally appears down the line.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Lord Jim wrote:I doubt it. The funds to do any UK integration are needed elsewhere and what UK weapon systems would we actually integrate. It makes sense to simply bed borrow or steal whatever the USN puts on their P-8s, given the numbers of rounds needed will be very small and the other NATO nations will probably be doing the same. The exceptions could probably be the Norwegian NSM if they decide to integrate it and other adopt it, or SPEAR 3 when it finally appears down the line.
Would most likely benifits the RAAF since we are paying for it to be JSF compatible, RAAF will be able to mix and match between US munitions and JSM

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

R686 wrote:benifits the RAAF since we are paying for it to be JSF compatible
I did not know about that (though the expenditure for the fit with F-35A internal bays took place years ago, so makes complete sense).

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
R686 wrote:benifits the RAAF since we are paying for it to be JSF compatible
I did not know about that (though the expenditure for the fit with F-35A internal bays took place years ago, so makes complete sense).

poor choice of words on my behalf. When I meant paying for it, it was in collaboration with the Norwegian's who are doing the lion's share of the work and most $. Not sure how long BAE have been involved but Qinetiq Australia has since 2008
The cooperation entails a close cooperation between KONGSBERG and several Australian defence industry partners, including BAE Systems Australia and Qinetiq Australia, to develop new, innovative technology. The new technology ensures even more advanced capacities added to the JSM, including a second independent sensor within the missile to identify hostile radar targets

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

R686 wrote: including a second independent sensor within the missile to identify hostile radar targets
That bit is crucial as even coast guard cutters may have a full EW fit as standard - to enhance their survivability

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Not exactly news but I was out on the bike in the woods above Forres just as it got dark this evening. Really low cloud, Absolutely pee'ing down. Out of the gloom comes a USN Poseidon really, really low heading to Lossiemouth.

Hope the RAF have more guys ready to crawl all over her.

Edit.. it was back again yesterday plus what looked to be a USAF C17

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

WIth the quite blatant case of US protectionism with regards to Boeing vs Bombardier is it time to look again at the P8 contract?

Perhaps the MoD still have Kawasaki on speed dial ?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Dahedd wrote: time to look again at the P8 contract?
And what do we do with the (new) Apaches?

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
Cancel ;) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MRCA
United Kingdom

Post by MRCA »

Yep if they continue this nonsense both programs should be cancelled.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Little J wrote:
ArmChairCivvy wrote:
Cancel ;) :lol:
we can sell you ARH Tigers still under factory warranty if you like :D

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

No thanks I'd rather go with the A129 :D Hey, it would give Westland something to do... Lets do it :shock:

MRCA
United Kingdom

Post by MRCA »

R686

Nah your ok u can keep them ;) ! Well fit brimstone to wildcat

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Little J wrote:No thanks I'd rather go with the A129 :D Hey, it would give Westland something to do... Lets do it :shock:
How can you pass up the chance for a helicopter that was in James Bond movie can't get any better than that!

:lol: :lol:

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
More Wildcats please or talk to Bell & get the Cobra. It is fully marinised after all.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

R686 wrote:
Little J wrote:No thanks I'd rather go with the A129 :D Hey, it would give Westland something to do... Lets do it :shock:
How can you pass up the chance for a helicopter that was in James Bond movie can't get any better than that!

:lol: :lol:
Bond also drove a Citroën 2cv :lol: