Brexit - The UK's EU Referendum & Withdrawal

For discussions on politics and current events.

Should the UK now withdraw from the Eurovision Song Contest ?!

:wave: Yes!
61%
:evil: No!
39%

Total votes: 49

SKB
England

Re: Brexit - The UK's EU Referendum & Withdrawal

Post by SKB »

11:50 Theresa May is giving her Brexit speech now/
12:00 The Pound is rising
12:32 May's speech ends. Pound is still rising.

SDL
United Kingdom

Re: Brexit - The UK's European Union Referendum

Post by SDL »

I want...
I want...
I want...
I want...

Sorry May, you're going to find yourself sorely disappointed if you think you're getting your cake and will be allowed to eat it.

Unfortunately, this is what the UK voted for, so this is what it gets. Well done people.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Well, at least we're getting a running commentary on this clusterfuck, even if it's only as a distraction from the crisis in our health and social care services.

Galloglass
Ireland

Post by Galloglass »

Listened to Mrs. May just now........"Trexbi Smena Trexbi"

Frankly she seems scared to me......I doubt she will get "Article 50" through Westminster. (Supreme Court willing)

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

If it fails to go through Westminster, then her only option would be to move for a General Election under the provisions in the Fixed Term Parliament Act (losing a major Government policy vote sort of mandates that). To avoid a General Election that would probably result in a lot of anti-Brexit MPs losing their seats (on all sides of the House), Labour would be faced with the prospect of having to vote to keep the Tories in power until 2020! Which could be interpreted as refreshing May's (parliamentary) mandate. An amusing thought.
On the other hand, of course, TM might appeal to the European Court - whichever way they adjudicate, it would simply re-inforce the Brexiters "lack of sovereignty" argument. Interesting times ahead!
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Pound on track for best day since 2008. The pound is the strongest performing currency in the G10 today, after Theresa May unveiled her 12 point Brexit plan. The Pound (vs USD) closed yesterday at $1.19. It closed today at $1.24

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Galloglass wrote:Listened to Mrs. May just now........"Trexbi Smena Trexbi"

Frankly she seems scared to me......I doubt she will get "Article 50" through Westminster. (Supreme Court willing)
Sorry to disappoint, it will be voted through by a massive majority
SDL wrote:I want...
I want...
I want...
I want...

Sorry May, you're going to find yourself sorely disappointed if you think you're getting your cake and will be allowed to eat it.

Unfortunately, this is what the UK voted for, so this is what it gets. Well done people.
Did Canada "get its cake and eat it", or the other countries that have free trade or custom union agreements with he EU?
No country, or trading bloc (including the EU), says you must have freedom of movement, subservience of courts and parliament and large membership fees for a free trade deal. If so, Canada et al. would not have signed such trade deals with the EU.

Don't confuse membership of the EU's internal market with a mutually beneficial free trade deal.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

The usual suspects Nicole Krankie and Tim Farron will be maximising their various causes.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Question Time should be interesting on Thursday evening, as well as PMQ's in the HoC, tomorrow.
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

The interesting revelation from today is that Parliament will get to vote on the deal. How will that work? Presumably (??), the options will be 1) take the negotiated arrangement (whatever it is), or 2) reject the deal and go to WTO favoured nation tariffs. I'm really quite surprised nobody has really pressed Davis or May on this today.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

dmereifield wrote:The interesting revelation from today is that Parliament will get to vote on the deal. How will that work? Presumably (??), the options will be 1) take the negotiated arrangement (whatever it is), or 2) reject the deal and go to WTO favoured nation tariffs. I'm really quite surprised nobody has really pressed Davis or May on this today.
It's actually the least revelatory thing from today. Under the Constitutional Reform and Governance Act 2010, treaties can only be ratified with parliamentary approval.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Theresa May's 12-Point Brexit Plan

1. Provide certainty about the process of leaving the EU.

2. Control of our own laws. Leaving the European Union will mean that our laws will be made in Westminster, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast.

3. Strengthen the Union between the four nations of the United Kingdom.

4. Deliver a practical solution that allows the maintenance of the Common Travel Area with the Republic of Ireland.

5. Brexit must mean control of the number of people who come to Britain from Europe.

6. Protect rights for EU nationals in Britain and British nationals in the EU. We want to guarantee rights of EU citizens living in Britain and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.

7. Protect workers' rights. Not only will the government protect the rights of workers set out in European legislation, we will build on them.

8. Free trade with European markets through a bold and ambitious free trade agreement with the European Union.

9. New trade agreements with other countries. It is time for Britain to get out into the world and rediscover its role as a great, global, trading nation.

10. The best place for science and innovation. We will welcome agreement to continue to collaborate with our European partners on major science, research and technology initiatives.

11. Co-operation in the fight against crime and terrorism. We will continue to work closely with our European allies in foreign and defence policy even as we leave the EU itself.

12. A smooth, orderly Brexit. We believe a phased process of implementation will be in the interests of Britain, the EU institutions and member states.

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

We'll be fine and whatever the deal we get or don't get, it will be immeasurably better than being a subservient client state of the EU having to live with policies dreamt up German & French bureaucrats.

It's Ireland that should be scared now you're going to be without the shield of the UK in the EU.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

The Supreme Court is to give its judgment in the legal battle over Brexit on Tuesday 24th January 2017. The court will decide whether to reject or allow a Government appeal against a High Court ruling blocking royal prerogative being used to trigger Article 50

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rexit.html

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

SKB wrote:The Supreme Court is to give its judgment in the legal battle over Brexit on Tuesday 24th January 2017. The court will decide whether to reject or allow a Government appeal against a High Court ruling blocking royal prerogative being used to trigger Article 50

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rexit.html
After yesterdays speech it's irrelevant, they're now getting a vote anyway.

Galloglass
Ireland

Post by Galloglass »

Cooper wrote:

We'll be fine and whatever the deal we get or don't get, it will be immeasurably better than being a subservient client state of the EU having to live with policies dreamt up German & French bureaucrats.

It's Ireland that should be scared now you're going to be without the shield of the UK in the EU.
Anyone with any sense in Ireland is "scared" of another attempt at imposing a hard border across the country. But if an EU border is imposed any ship wishing to visit Derry will have to do so through EU (Irish) waters as "Lough Foyle" will have to be "partitioned" in accordance with international law....(That alone could take a decade to "agree").....As for your "shield", I can't say I ever noticed it so won't miss it.

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

Galloglass wrote:As for your "shield", I can't say I ever noticed it so won't miss it.
..that was the whole point of it, but over the coming months and years you're about to find out just what it did for you.

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Cooper wrote:

Gotta admit, the dismissive 'Oh we'll be fine' claim is beyond old now.

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

SDL wrote: Gotta admit, the dismissive 'Oh we'll be fine' claim is beyond old now.
Not as old as the somewhat pathetic defeatist drama queen act that so many of you go in for.

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Cooper wrote:
SDL wrote: Gotta admit, the dismissive 'Oh we'll be fine' claim is beyond old now.
Not as old as the somewhat pathetic defeatist drama queen act that so many of you go in for.
And if Leave had used facts about how things would be better and not hidden behind false bus signs and suspect claims about immigrants, then those of us who are still concerned about Brexit might actually have some answers and have our concerns wiped away.

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

SDL wrote: And if Leave had used facts about how things would be better and not hidden behind false bus signs and suspect claims about immigrants, then those of us who are still concerned about Brexit might actually have some answers and have our concerns wiped away.
ZZZzzzz.

Go away, grow up and learn how to respect a democratic decision.

Hint: It doesn't always go the way you want.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Cooper wrote:
SDL wrote: And if Leave had used facts about how things would be better and not hidden behind false bus signs and suspect claims about immigrants, then those of us who are still concerned about Brexit might actually have some answers and have our concerns wiped away.
ZZZzzzz.

Respecting a democratic decision doesn't mean stopping making your case. That's not how representative democracy works. If it did there'd have been no one putting forward the case to leave the EU as the matter had been democratically decided in 1975.

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Cooper wrote:
ZZZzzzz.

The result is the result, doesn't mean that those that don't agree should just STFU and go away.

Hint : You can respect a democratic decision and still be concerned about the outcome... also, it never helps a person's case when they block genuine debate with insults and stupidity...

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I've added in the entire live BBC coverage of the 23rd June 2016 EU referendum back on page 24 of this thread.
http://ukdefenceforum.net/viewtopic.php ... &start=345

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

The Supreme Court has ruled that the government must consult Parliament before triggering Article 50 - the clause in the EU Treaty that will formally start the Brexit process.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38730402