Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
dmereifield
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by dmereifield »

^^abc123
But I guess it wasn't such an issue, politically, when not meeting commitments on projects with the French, Germans, Italians and Spanish, especially when they were changing their minds and cutting numbers too?

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

dmereifield wrote:^^abc123
But I guess it wasn't such an issue, politically, when not meeting commitments on projects with the French, Germans, Italians and Spanish, especially when they were changing their minds and cutting numbers too?

I'm not sure what you want to say? That not meeting commitments towards European allies is good? Or bad? Or that if they do that, UK can also do that? Or?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

abc123 wrote:
dmereifield wrote:^^abc123

I'm not sure what you want to say? That not meeting commitments towards European allies is good? Or bad? Or that if they do that, UK can also do that? Or?
I'll explain what I was trying to convey in the UK general defence discussion thread shortly

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

abc123 wrote:OK, so if say US had built 2 Ford-class carriers ( with capacity for at least 48 or even 60 fighters ) and then put just 12 or 20 on carriers, you would say that's not "half-assed"?
That's entirely different, the Americans are not building a carrier capability from scratch.

The Royal Navy are starting from almost nothing, and building up such a high intensity capability will naturally take a while. It's not possible to just switch on and switch off such huge operations, it takes time to create best practices and build skill levels.

It's not a half assed approach. It's a pragmatic build up of a huge complex capability.

For a case study, look at how the Chinese, with their vast resources, has got on during 6 years of carrier operations
@LandSharkUK

Spinflight
United Kingdom

Post by Spinflight »

The first priority isn't to pack the carrier to the gills, its to get a sufficient rump of pilots qualified and experienced in carrier ops.

You don't need huge numbers of aircraft on the carrier to do this, frankly the modern approach would be to correlate actual landings in weight states and Wx with simulator projections of such.

You can then train land based pillocks from scratch with merely formal qualification on a real live carrier.

There's nothing half arsed about it, it makes complete sense. At some point it also makes sense to pack said carrier to the gills and figure out deck movement patterns, maintenance schedules and intense operational tempo. Absolutely no point until you've trained the pilots up in the basics though, which is going to be landing on empty decks initially.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Spinflight wrote: At some point it also makes sense to pack said carrier to the gills and figure out deck movement patterns, maintenance schedules and intense operational tempo.
You dont figure these were some of the key design parameters (with the aid of OR analysis) helping to give the ships their physical size and shape?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

shark bait wrote:
abc123 wrote:OK, so if say US had built 2 Ford-class carriers ( with capacity for at least 48 or even 60 fighters ) and then put just 12 or 20 on carriers, you would say that's not "half-assed"?
That's entirely different, the Americans are not building a carrier capability from scratch.

The Royal Navy are starting from almost nothing, and building up such a high intensity capability will naturally take a while. It's not possible to just switch on and switch off such huge operations, it takes time to create best practices and build skill levels.

It's not a half assed approach. It's a pragmatic build up of a huge complex capability.

For a case study, look at how the Chinese, with their vast resources, has got on during 6 years of carrier operations
IMHO comparing Royal Navy that operates aircraft carriers since before 1920s ( and has built a lot of them ) and has accumulated a bunch of operational experience and institutional wisdom with the PLA Navy- isn't fair.
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Spinflight
United Kingdom

Post by Spinflight »

Some institutional memory yes, little practical experience given the capability holiday other than pilots training abroad.

Having the USMC along will be a significant plus but it's still going to be an expensive and time consuming job to regain the capability. Me thinks the Navy will need an injection of cash to accomplish it.

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Iv got a question to ask if anyone can help, Iv been looking at the differences between the QEs and the Nimitz class carriers just out of sheer curiosity to see how they stake up.
Now is understand why the Nimitz is longer and wider to accommodate its larger air wing, but what has shocked me is how much taller they are being a whole 20m taller.

Is there any specific reason for the QEs to be so much shorter, does it give any real disadvantage ?

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Jake1992 wrote:Iv got a question to ask if anyone can help, Iv been looking at the differences between the QEs and the Nimitz class carriers just out of sheer curiosity to see how they stake up.
Now is understand why the Nimitz is longer and wider to accommodate its larger air wing, but what has shocked me is how much taller they are being a whole 20m taller.

Is there any specific reason for the QEs to be so much shorter, does it give any real disadvantage ?
It's got to get under the Forth bridge. -<>-<>-<>-
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

arfah wrote:-<>-<>-<>-
:D
@LandSharkUK

Enigmatically

Post by Enigmatically »

People often over-estimate how much bigger the flight deck of Nimitz is. Take the beam - Nimitz rocks in at 76.8m vs QEC at 70m.

Almost 10% seems a fair bit. But when you look at the plan view of a Nimitz you realise that most of that extra max beam is just the big where the angled flight deck sticks out. Similarly a lot of the length difference is just the nose section handling the bow catapults.

If you haven't seen it, its worth getting plan views, shrinking/expanding them to the same scale and overlaying them.

Though the internet being the internet, chances are someone already has done it and posted it somewhere.

Must admit I've never compared the height though. What is the height (above sea level) of a Nimitz?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Enigmatically wrote:What is the height (above sea level) of a Nimitz?
A v important feature in targeting/ guidance algorithms... and not a secret
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Enigmatically

Post by Enigmatically »

Not saying it is not important, but i can't immediately see it listed, presumably someone here can point at total height and height of flight deck?

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

From what I found the total hight of the QE is 54m and the total hight of the Nimitz is around 75m give or take

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Nimitz has a huge mast, are you counting that? QE has a much smaller one that raises and lowers to make it under the bridge

Knocked this up from the slide below.

Guess the length QE looses is made up for by the ski ramp.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sr5shY7C0X0/U ... R2Y1GN.jpg

also a bonus RN compared.

@LandSharkUK

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare to the bad guy's carriers?

Engaging Strategy
United Kingdom

Post by Engaging Strategy »

Ron5 wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to compare to the bad guy's carriers?
Not really, seeing as none are anywhere near a Nimitz in terms of theoretical maximum and actual realised capability. Frankly neither Kuznetsov nor Liaoning is a Patch on Charles De Gaulle in practice.

For all intents and purposes Russia has a heap of junk, China has a tech demonstrator to build up to greater things later and India (although definitely not "the bad guys") have their own odd thing going.
Blog: http://engagingstrategy.blogspot.co.uk
Twitter: @EngageStrategy1

Old RN
South Africa

Post by Old RN »

What is interesting is to compare the amount of undisturbed parking area on each design. By undisturbed I mean the are not affected by lifts, launch area and angled deck. I think that the QE has more space than a Nimitz, which would mean less a/c movements for a given tempo of activity.

Looking at the deck layout you can say that QE is "a big a**ed boat"! :lol:

inch

Post by inch »

thanks for the scale drawing shark bait. at least someone with skill took the time to make the effort :-) just a quick one fella ,the c de q carrier scale looks small somehow ,think 262ish mts length - qe 280 ish length ,even compared to the invincible which is about 210 ish I quess ,it looks ok width wise but seems too short being only 20mtrs difference .especially at the back end ,I know you have put them front first matching but just seems small .mind you I could be wrong and often am lol and wouldn't have the skill to do a overlaid scale drawing myself tbh so fair play to you

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Perhaps there might be an answer in how many decks of the compared ircraft carriers will provide some clue

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Thanks guys,

Spin's picture is very informative as it shows how much space is wasted (and the need for extra catapults) by the recovery method (compared to QE vertical, when not bringing back a heavy load)

SB, a pity that you missed out on the T26. Or all the different versions of it, over time: would make for a piccie on its own!

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Sorry. On the old discussion of CVF hangar. See page 235 of this thread.
cvf_hangar_1.png
1: I checked the figure. It looks like the hanger size shown in this figure is 165x28.5 m2, different from what is quoted in wiki, as 155x33.5 m2. The size of F35B looks "right sized" in the figure.

2: Anyway, when CVF is to carry 24 F35B and 13 Merlins (9 ASW + 4 AEW Merlin) at least some of them shall be strapped on the deck. Simple calculation shows, if 13 Merlin is in the hangar (as shown in green boxes), only 15 F35B can be in the hangar at the same time. But, since the flight deck of CVF is quite large, I think carrying them on the deck is not a problem. From the flight deck figure, carrying another 9 F35B on deck looks OK.

3: Large flight deck is the key point of "strike carrier". LHD needs space/weight for internal space, and this causes difficulty in making the flight deck wider/larger. See Spanish LHD, American LHD. All has very narrow flight deck. In other words, using LHD for strike will face severe aircraft handing problem = less sorties rates.

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

Thanks for solving that one. I suspect that the wiki figure of 33.5m for the width of the hanger is for where the hanger is at its widest where it abuts the two lifts.