Ground Based Air Defence

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
Spinflight
United Kingdom

Re: Ground Based Air Defence

Post by Spinflight »

Anyone know why we're deploying Giraffe's and CAMM to the Falklands?

A ground based radar with impressive anti-stealth capability plus our latest SAM seems like an awful lot of overkill considering Argentina doesn't even appear to have an airforce anymore.

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

To deter any future aggression from the Argies or proxies.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Spinflight wrote:A ground based radar with impressive anti-stealth capability
What Anti Stealth capability?

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

If there's anywhere in the world to best test a SAM system, it's the Falklands. That place is nightmarishly difficult for missiles to operate in, lot of geographic and weather effects to deal with. That'd be my guess. Easy access for terrain to allows the Typhoons to try out very nasty approaches on it too and see how it copes.

Spinflight
United Kingdom

Post by Spinflight »

bobp wrote:What Anti Stealth capability?
Gallium nitride based radar.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Good video. Is that the model the UK is buying. The previous ones where on a mast.

Spinflight
United Kingdom

Post by Spinflight »

Yeah we bought more of them a few years back, and also arranged for our existing ones to be upgraded.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Spinflight wrote:Yeah we bought more of them a few years back, and also arranged for our existing ones to be upgraded.
Is it?

All the reports I've seen on UK Giraffe purchases have been the Giraffe AMB model, which is on a mast, not the Giraffe 4A that uses GaN.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Angling... and hook
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Tumbleweed
United Kingdom

Post by Tumbleweed »

New joiner here, the the UK fleet is the AMB variant, not sure if the 4A is in service yet or who it is destined for.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Angling... and hook
ArmChairCivvy wrote:Angling... and hook
True dat

Frenchie
France

Post by Frenchie »

I don't know if this is interesting for you but the 54th Regiment of Artillery has Sherpa 3A equipped with the MPCV system of MBDA.

http://www.army-technology.com/projects ... icle-mpcv/

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

British Giraffe Radars are the AMB kind, upgraded to standard C and with very small target detection, for mini-UAVs tracking.

You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

i wonder will they move into Mortar Locating role as well?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

RA 300 parade
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tumbleweed
United Kingdom

Post by Tumbleweed »

Gabriele wrote:British Giraffe Radars are the AMB kind, upgraded to standard C and with very small target detection, for mini-UAVs tracking.
That must be the ELSS system that DSTL were looking at last year. Has it been confirmed that it has been added to Mod C? The main update is that the sensor will be used as the FCR for Landceptor, or whatever its being called this week.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Tumbleweed wrote:the sensor will be used as the FCR for Landceptor, or whatever its being called this week.
What else is there in place, to do that? It is time to move on from bde level deconflictation and then, at the next level, v local anti-mortar/ counter-btry and AD FC radars to something with better coverage, properly networked and multi-function.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Tumbleweed
United Kingdom

Post by Tumbleweed »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:What else is there in place, to do that? It is time to move on from bde level deconflictation and then, at the next level, v local anti-mortar/ counter-btry and AD FC radars to something with better coverage, properly networked and multi-function.
Agreed, if I understand you correctly, but isn't that what this is for?

http://www.lockheedmartin.co.uk/uk/what ... ision.html
Gabriele wrote: Image

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

It is time to move on from bde level deconflictation
You made (one part of) my point for me:
"In 2008 Lockheed Martin UK led Team Athena signed a contract with the UK’s Ministry of Defence to provide the British Army with a state of the art situational awareness and battlespace management capability called the Land Environment Air Picture Provision (LEAPP). The LEAPP contract, worth over £100million, will see systems delivered from 2012"

Tumbleweed
United Kingdom

Post by Tumbleweed »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: You made (one part of) my point for me:
"In 2008 Lockheed Martin UK led Team Athena signed a contract with the UK’s Ministry of Defence to provide the British Army with a state of the art situational awareness and battlespace management capability called the Land Environment Air Picture Provision (LEAPP). The LEAPP contract, worth over £100million, will see systems delivered from 2012"
Whats that? The kit is now in service, hence why the radar was at RA300!

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Tumbleweed wrote:at the next level, v local anti-mortar/ counter-btry and AD FC radars
A far as I know this kit (the next two parts of my point) are scheduled to go out of service fairly soon?

Tumbleweed
United Kingdom

Post by Tumbleweed »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:at the next level, v local anti-mortar/ counter-btry and AD FC radars
A far as I know this kit (the next two parts of my point) are scheduled to go out of service fairly soon?
Not sure about OSD for MAMBA, LCMR and ASP, but I thought they all had a good few years left. Outside of the LEAPP sensors what AD radars do land have now? Rapier is only in the Falklands and the HVM equipped units only have passive sensors.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:What else is there in place, to do that?
Tumbleweed wrote:Outside of the LEAPP sensors what AD radars do land have now

Tumbleweed
United Kingdom

Post by Tumbleweed »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
ArmChairCivvy wrote:What else is there in place, to do that?
Tumbleweed wrote:Outside of the LEAPP sensors what AD radars do land have now
Still not sure where you're going with this?

There is a new in service networked Air Surveillance system to provide an air picture to a land HQ with a medium range radar, and including I think Link 16 and 11. Additional sensors have been bought and will be used with the new GBAD system replacing Rapier. Even if Rapier was available to the Bdes its search radar is not networked and has an extremely limited range.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Tumbleweed wrote:new in service networked Air Surveillance system to provide an air picture to a land HQ with a medium range radar
plus
Tumbleweed wrote:Additional sensors have been bought and will be used with the new GBAD system replacing Rapier
You keep repeating back [paraphrasing] what I have already said; further
Tumbleweed wrote:Rapier was available to the Bdes its search radar is not networked and has an extremely limited range
-from the detail part you just omitted the anti-mortar/ counter-btry radars (touched on earlier; you seemed convinced that they had much life left in them, but in the same sentence asked for the OSD dates)