Avoid Feeding Trolls

For everything that doesn't fit elsewhere; literature, movies, video games - whatever you desire.
arfah
Niue

Avoid Feeding Trolls

Post by arfah »

It's not rocket science.

--

If you feel someone is purely trolling and has no real aim other than to create problems, don't feed them. Leave it be, even if you want to put them in their place. It won't help you, the mods, or anyone other than the troll.

(Just adding some clarity, as some people were unsure if this was in direct relation to someone in particular, and we don't want naming and shaming to run rampant - R)
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

R686
Australia

Re: DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Post by R686 »

arfah wrote:It's not rocket science.
And who might that be?

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Post by WhitestElephant »

Probably wirralpete.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

R686 wrote:
And who might that be?
R686 wrote:
Ron5

And who might that be?

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Tinman wrote:
R686 wrote:
And who might that be?
R686 wrote:
Ron5

And who might that be?
Can you explain to me why my quote was altered to included "Ron 5" when I did no such thing and rectify the situation ASAP

And secondly I hardly think he is who the thread is about, hence my question to the OP

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

The purpose of this thread is to offer some basic advice if you feel another member of this forum is a troll.

Ignore them and they'll soon f--k off!

I've included the basic advice in the title of this thread.
Further advice would be to report the troll to the moderators rather then than have a sledging match as trolls love to feed off negativity.

However, in my experience, I have no faith in the moderators to enforce their rules as I have found them to pass the buck or be weak and spineless on previous occasions.

Regards.
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

arfah wrote:as trolls love to feed off negativity.
Happening already... it is the kind of extortion letter (to the site , rather than the participants):
- we can create so much negativity
- that it will drive your genuine contributors away
- and then the liquidity on the site dies (ie. the site lingers, may be, but cannot meet its mission)
... so-o, better let us get on with our fishing expeditions (as around St. Pete the pollution is so bad that we have to cross the "ocean" to catch "anything")

"Anything" - how ever trivial and small - can turn out to be valuable as it is fed into a big machine, to fill the gaps.

And some "nice" negativity about the capability of our Forces, or the interface between the Forces and the political machine directing it (both the purpose, and the means for achieving the purpose) is of course always "in place" so that recruitment is hurt in the long run.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)