F-35B Lightning (RAF & RN)

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
Gabriele
Italy

Re: F-35B Lightning II (RN & RAF)

Post by Gabriele »

Apparently 809 NAS will only stand up in April 2023.

Now it is official: the SDSR 2015 did not speed up anything.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Gabriele wrote:Now it is official: the SDSR 2015 did not speed up anything.
And the so called equipment budget of 189 billion over the next decade.?

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Gabriele wrote:Apparently 809 NAS will only stand up in April 2023.

Now it is official: the SDSR 2015 did not speed up anything.

I am shocked. Or not.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

It has been pretty clear all the while, but it remains pretty impressive to see how economic / imaginative with the truth all the SDSR messages were and are.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

Beagle24
United Kingdom

Post by Beagle24 »

Very sad if that is indeed the case. An earlier article from Janes had suggested 809 would initially be reformed to support F35 carrier trials in 2018. I had assumed this would initially be as a small test unit migrating to a full operational squadron later in the lighting force build up. Although the RAF has been very careful to convey the mixed crewing of 617 there is still something slightly strange that an RAF unit will be the first to fly off the QE in an airframe that is essentially designed and purchased with the aim of maritime strike.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Beagle24 wrote:Very sad if that is indeed the case. An earlier article from Janes had suggested 809 would initially be reformed to support F35 carrier trials in 2018. I had assumed this would initially be as a small test unit migrating to a full operational squadron later in the lighting force build up. Although the RAF has been very careful to convey the mixed crewing of 617 there is still something slightly strange that an RAF unit will be the first to fly off the QE in an airframe that is essentially designed and purchased with the aim of maritime strike.
This has been my thinking,too. I have not seen that IHS Janes article, but the IOC for carrier strike still has the date set (has not been revised, but is defined as 12 F35Bs onboard and operational). One practicality is that the FAA does not exist as a fixed wing, fast jet force and rebuilding it (even with mixed crewing) will take time.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

This makes a change from all the never ending carping about the F35 :-

http://www.sldinfo.com/visiting-the-pax ... an-update/

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Janes still hints that 809 Sqdrn will be formed in 2018 with full operational status in 2023.

http://www.janes.com/article/60538/uk-b ... r-and-f-35

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

That

"The second unit - the Fleet Air Arm's 809 'Immortals' Naval Air Squadron (NAS) - will be created ahead of the start of sea trials aboard the new HMS Queen Elizabeth in 2018, with the full operating capability (FOC - Land and Maritime) for the type being declared in 2023."

stacks up well with sticking to the IOC for "carrier strike" in 2020.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

The dates are probably all "correct" in their own ways.
617 is only "standing up" in Jan 2018, but the build up is already on. Assuming it is the same for 809, they will have been around for a while before the 2023 date. With what kind of numbers and capability is the real question.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Who wants to bet that the RAF squadron never goes to sea on the QE? I think it's likely they'll leave all the carrier qualification to 809.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Ron5 wrote:Who wants to bet that the RAF squadron never goes to sea on the QE? I think it's likely they'll leave all the carrier qualification to 809.
You can think what you like, but its wrong.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Ron5 wrote:Who wants to bet that the RAF squadron never goes to sea on the QE? I think it's likely they'll leave all the carrier qualification to 809.
Just because its got a RAF Squadron badge means zilch, it will be manned by RN and RAF personnel. I expect that planes from each of the squadrons will be deployed.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Looks like I have two takers :-)

Beagle24
United Kingdom

Post by Beagle24 »

At some point post 2023 both squadrons will have to collectively embark to fully work up the high intensity aspect of carrier strike. As for the routine carrier deployments I am assuming 617 snd 809 will change places regularly to ensure carrier qualifications are maintained?

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Beagle24 wrote: I am assuming 617 snd 809 will change places regularly to ensure carrier qualifications are maintained?
I assume they will have to, maintaining carrier skills across the RAF and AAC is going to be the most challenging parts of the tailored air group concept.
@LandSharkUK

LordJim
United Kingdom

Post by LordJim »

Although squadrons numbers have been allocated, Both RN and RAF crew and ground crew will operate in each. Also aircraft will be pooled so 809 will be stood up when sufficient aircraft are in the pool but it means the number of platforms under the 617 banner will increase until then as will the number of personnel between 2018 and 2023

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

RAF publicity team could learn from this

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... -b-425648/

live streaming, AF Open Day... all of that two years ahead of the real, effective date.

These things have a glacial pace, and therefore it helps to keep the public (tax payer) informed.

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

I don't think this has been posted here before, apologies if it has.

U.K. Planning Four Front-Line F-35 Squadrons
The U.K. is planning to build a future force of four front-line F-35 squadrons, now that the country has committed to a fleet of 138 aircraft. The U.K. will build a front-line fleet of 48 aircraft, 12 per squadron. A fifth unit, also with 12 aircraft, will be formed as an operational conversion unit (OCU), Air Cmdr. Harvey Smyth, the commander of the U.K.’s Lightning Force, told reporters on the sidelines of an F-35 training conference here May 19. An additional three ...
Unfortunately the rest is behind a paywall: http://aviationweek.com/defense/uk-plan ... -squadrons

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

And the other 78 fit in where exactly??? Don't know why but it seems to be a dangerous hint that we will fail to operate anymore than 60 Lightnings at any one time or something of that sort.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Sat in hangars being rotated in and out of use, still be built, scrapped, crashed, with 17 in the US, deep maintenance, modification. Exactly the same as our jets are these days.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

The United Kingdom's nascent joint Royal Air Force (RAF)/Royal Navy Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning Force is planning to achieve a 50:50 balance between live and synthetic training as the aircraft comes into service towards the end of this decade.
Read more at:

http://www.janes.com/article/60972/uk-f ... live-split

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

bobp wrote:The United Kingdom's nascent joint Royal Air Force (RAF)/Royal Navy Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning Force is planning to achieve a 50:50 balance between live and synthetic training as the aircraft comes into service towards the end of this decade.
Read more at:

http://www.janes.com/article/60972/uk-f ... live-split
Which sadly is all about money saving rather than an actual training benefit.