UK Defence Forum

News, History, Discussions and Debates on UK Defence.

Light Multi Role Missile

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
marktigger

Light Multi Role Missile

Postby marktigger » 22 Mar 2016, 09:38

due in service with Royal Artillery and Fleet Air Arm. Looks like ts very flexible in the platforms its being fired off.

2HeadsBetter

Re: Light Multi Role Missile

Postby 2HeadsBetter » 22 Mar 2016, 22:22

Suppose there's no chance of some extra Ajax hulls to stick 8 of these onto? I would also like to have seen it hit a moving target.

RetroSicotte
Site Admin

Postby RetroSicotte » 23 Mar 2016, 02:01

Ajax is a little bit of overkill for such a system, I believe.

Not that I'd say no, I have something of an impractical love of heavy end AFVs used for purposes other than just tankery.

marktigger

Postby marktigger » 23 Mar 2016, 10:54

I would suggest Storrmer HVM will be around for a while yet refitted with LMM (was withams sale of them a few years ago a bit premature?)

But a piggyback mounting on DS30 or a navalised seastreak launcher like the one Shorts/thales designed for them would make a god supplementry airdefence system for Naval vessels/ RFA's make them containteised and crew them from RNR units. The TA had Blowpipe/Javelin/S15 and HVM fir years so it is possible for reserves to operate this type of system and I'm sure mountings could be put at Mannorbier for live firing training. The missile will already be in the inventory for Wildcat (and hopefully Merlin).

Lord Jim

Postby Lord Jim » 24 Mar 2016, 12:17

The Thor system has already been developed, based on the existing HVM turreted launcher whish can fire different types of missile from Starstreak to ATGMs to guided rockets. Given that the Stormer is becoming and orphan with the retirement of the rest of the CVR(T) family, wouldn't it be a good idea to transplant the existing systems, updated to Thor to the Ajax chassis and/or the winner of the MIV programme. This would provide a platform that could provide battle group air defence and ATGM over watch and so much more such as a precision direct fire capability. Also Starstreak is still a very very good SAM system.

Gabriele

Postby Gabriele » 24 Mar 2016, 15:14

Lord Jim wrote:The Thor system has already been developed, based on the existing HVM turreted launcher whish can fire different types of missile from Starstreak to ATGMs to guided rockets. Given that the Stormer is becoming and orphan with the retirement of the rest of the CVR(T) family, wouldn't it be a good idea to transplant the existing systems, updated to Thor to the Ajax chassis and/or the winner of the MIV programme. This would provide a platform that could provide battle group air defence and ATGM over watch and so much more such as a precision direct fire capability. Also Starstreak is still a very very good SAM system.

That would be really, really sweet.

By the way, the Stormer HVM is already able to use LMM.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

shark bait

Postby shark bait » 24 Mar 2016, 16:27

The UK integrate its complex weapons portfolio across multiple vehicles from a common launcher, that will never happen, it makes far too much sense

Has starstreak even been used operationally in the surface to surface mode ?
@LandSharkUK

marktigger

Postby marktigger » 25 Mar 2016, 10:06

shark bait wrote:

Has starstreak even been used operationally in the surface to surface mode ?

don't think so, but at least with LMM they have gone back to a more conventional warhead. Good old Blowpipe had a shaped charge for impact fuze setting. But Javelin & S15 had blast fragmentation warheads so how they would have reacted hitting an AFV would be debatable.

Timmymagic

Postby Timmymagic » 09 Apr 2019, 21:29

Been a while since there has been anything posted on this one. It's due in 2019. Very, very quiet though....not seen any test footage recently.

In October 2018 a sustainment contract was signed with Thales covering LMM and Starstreak.

https://navaltoday.com/2018/10/26/thale ... -contract/

Return to “Joint Service”