Airbus A400M Atlas (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
Gabriele
Italy

Re: Airbus A400M Atlas (RAF)

Post by Gabriele »

Note DAS bulges. Hopefully sign of successful integration completed.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

RAF Atlas at Gib this morning.

There was a piece in the Gibraltar Chronicle yesterday about an Atlas being grounded at RAF Gibraltar temporarily after having a "minor technical malfunction" during a training flight, but it hasn't surfaced online yet. Just a low quality image from the Chronicle's front page:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CarLQM3XIAAOiax.jpg

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

A400M Atlas ZM401 departure from RAF Gibraltar on Friday:

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

ZM407 was delivered to Brize on Wednesday 11th May. 1/3 of the way there....

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

Have I mentioned that the RAF have recently conducted free fall trials from the C17?

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Appears A400M will have a new home in the not to distance future. numbers unknown at this point in time

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-indon ... SKCN0Y211X

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

ZM406 at Edinburgh Airport

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Quite a good video to watch thanks for posting SKB

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

downsizer wrote:We got what the government wanted to pay for.

And the armchair experts who say well we own them now
... I was just about to
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articl ... racks.html

More drama's for the A400, can't seem to take a trick. Wonder if Airbus wish the plane stayed on the drawing board?

Must be costing them a bit of coin and damage to reputation.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Reminds me of a Woody Allen line:

"I'm a fund manager... I manage other people's money, until all the money is gone."

From 2011:

"Airbus Military's parent company EADS had threatened to pull the plug on Europe's biggest defence project unless the partner nations stumped up more cash to cover cost overruns of about 5.2 billion euros ($7.0 billion).

Belgium, Britain, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Spain and Turkey agreed the project in 2003 and it was meant to showpiece Europe's independence from US defence suppliers.

The deal on the financing of the long-delayed A400M [...] was signed at Airbus Military's facility in the southwestern Spanish city Seville"

Looks like Airbus have "eaten" 3 bn as e 5bn has been provisioned against... so just about all the money is gone!
- the 5.2 only becomes repayable from exports achieved outside the original Partner countries
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Reminds me of a Woody Allen line:

"I'm a fund manager... I manage other people's money, until all the money is gone."

From 2011:

"Airbus Military's parent company EADS had threatened to pull the plug on Europe's biggest defence project unless the partner nations stumped up more cash to cover cost overruns of about 5.2 billion euros ($7.0 billion).

Belgium, Britain, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Spain and Turkey agreed the project in 2003 and it was meant to showpiece Europe's independence from US defence suppliers.

The deal on the financing of the long-delayed A400M [...] was signed at Airbus Military's facility in the southwestern Spanish city Seville"

Looks like Airbus have "eaten" 3 bn as e 5bn has been provisioned against... so just about all the money is gone!
- the 5.2 only becomes repayable from exports achieved outside the original Partner countries

so does that mean any extra sold Airbus makes no profit?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

No, it just means that the original partners have become quasi-shareholders, and any such sales open the prospect of being paid back (some day)

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

I've said all along we'd have been much better off with extra Js and C17s as opposed to this eurofag abortion. And to think we were within an inch of pulling out. Missed opportunity.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

funny there were people saying we shouldn't have bought the J and just refurbished the K because of issues with its engines and props and its inability to drop paratroops. And I'm sure there were those who felt we should have soldiered on with the Dakota, Valetta, hastings, Beverley, Argosy, Belfast etc and not bought a new type.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

No arguments from me re: Belfast; wiki tells us

"TAC HeavyLift purchased five Belfasts for commercial use in 1977 and operated three of them from 1980 after being reworked to receive commercial certification. Ironically, some of them were later chartered during the Falklands war, with some sources suggesting that this cost more than keeping all the aircraft in RAF service until the 1990s.[5] HeavyLift's Belfasts were again contracted to support the RAF during the first Gulf War, transporting vehicles and helicopters too large to be carried by the Hercules fleet"

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

arfah wrote:
marktigger wrote:funny there were people saying we shouldn't have bought the J and just refurbished the K because of issues with its engines and props and its inability to drop paratroops. And I'm sure there were those who felt we should have soldiered on with the Dakota, Valetta, hastings, Beverley, Argosy, Belfast etc and not bought a new type.
So you do prefer the L85A2 over L1A1 rifle, then. ;-)
as a 5.56 rifle to replace the L1a1 no we shouldn't have bought the L85 at all we should have bought the C7 and C8.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:No arguments from me re: Belfast; wiki tells us

"TAC HeavyLift purchased five Belfasts for commercial use in 1977 and operated three of them from 1980 after being reworked to receive commercial certification. Ironically, some of them were later chartered during the Falklands war, with some sources suggesting that this cost more than keeping all the aircraft in RAF service until the 1990s.[5] HeavyLift's Belfasts were again contracted to support the RAF during the first Gulf War, transporting vehicles and helicopters too large to be carried by the Hercules fleet"
Belfast had major drag problems that were never resolved but i'm sure the airforce regretted having to retire them in the 70's. just a pity the govt didn't invest in shorts for a "Belfast II" program.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I think they were resolved after the initial five a/c; but
that is neither here or there

-as what I quoted is the value of them (as if!)

but the drag and all (warts) is what the cost accountants, and people with a similar mindset do to capabilities
- the capabilities (more than the capacity) , in the end, is the differentiator