Ajax Armoured Vehicles (British Army)

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
RunningStrong

Re: Ajax Armoured Vehicles (British Army)

Post by RunningStrong »

BB85 wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 08:38 I thought I saw a post talking about Fox hound mark 2, maybe MRV-P will pick up again.

Unfortunately Ajax has been built so bespoke to British army requirements it has been a total flop in the export market. Too heavy to be a scout and reconasaince vehicle but too small internally to be considered an IFV.
It's the same weight as other Armoured Recce vehicles with similar protection...

It's fundamentally capable of being an IFV (as is ASCOD 2) if that is the intended purpose of the design. However, even when there were 20 or so variants proposed (including many of the CVRT capabilities) there was not any IFV. There was a direct fire 105mm proposed, would was reason for the larger turret ring.
These users liked the author RunningStrong for the post (total 2):
Ron5Jensy

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

BB85 wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 08:38 Unfortunately Ajax has been built so bespoke to British army requirements it has been a total flop in the export market. Too heavy to be a scout and reconasaince vehicle but too small internally to be considered an IFV.
Considering that Australia and Germany are acquiring turreted Boxer as a Scout and Reconnaissance vehicle and that is >90% the GVW of Ajax, while being considerably taller, I'd say that your assessment there is a bit off.

Ajax is poorly laid out as an IFV, but there's scope for Ares to fit a turret of some kind* and still carry a useful number of infantry.

* probably remote and with limited or no roof penetration.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

mr.fred wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 12:25
BB85 wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 08:38 Unfortunately Ajax has been built so bespoke to British army requirements it has been a total flop in the export market. Too heavy to be a scout and reconasaince vehicle but too small internally to be considered an IFV.
Considering that Australia and Germany are acquiring turreted Boxer as a Scout and Reconnaissance vehicle and that is >90% the GVW of Ajax, while being considerably taller, I'd say that your assessment there is a bit off.

Ajax is poorly laid out as an IFV, but there's scope for Ares to fit a turret of some kind* and still carry a useful number of infantry.

Well said. When people argue that AJAX is too big, they've clearly not met BOXER.

At DSEI it made CR3 look tiny, and the MAN Elbit Artillery look reasonable...
These users liked the author RunningStrong for the post:
Jackstar

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

RunningStrong wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 17:35 Well said. When people argue that AJAX is too big, they've clearly not met BOXER.
Thank you.
To go further, this is the picture I wanted to use to highlight the issue, but couldn't find earlier:
Note how the Boxer hull roof is about level with Ajax's turret roof.
These users liked the author mr.fred for the post (total 2):
jedibeeftrixJackstar

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

BOXER CRV versus Abrams.
These users liked the author RunningStrong for the post (total 2):
jedibeeftrixJackstar

BB85
United Kingdom

Post by BB85 »

mr.fred wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 12:25

Fair point. I'm not a fan of Boxer as a scout vehicle either, I was thinking more along the lines of the French Jaguar EBRC. I guess cross country performance will be the deciding factor.
Lets just hope once it's in service it can put all of its development woes behind it.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

BB85 wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 10:48 Fair point. I'm not a fan of Boxer as a scout vehicle either, I was thinking more along the lines of the French Jaguar EBRC. I guess cross country performance will be the deciding factor.
Lets just hope once it's in service it can put all of its development woes behind it.
Bwaahahaha. Have you see Jaguar with banana for scale?

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

"Defence Procurement Minister James Cartlidge has also confirmed 93 Ajax vehicles will be ready for service this year"

https://www.forces.net/technology/land- ... -each-year

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

Reaction to Ajax, combat ready HQ.
British Army in Sweden | Ajax: The New Generation of Armoured Fighting Vehicles | Soldier Reacts.