New Medium Helicopter [NMH] - (RAF & AAC)

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.

It's February 2024 - Which way is NMH going to go?

Please note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

Leonardo AW-149
61%
Sikorsky S-70M Black Hawk
22%
Programme cancelled
11%
Airbus H-175M
6%
Boeing MH-139 (back from the dead?)
No votes
Puma kept in service till next-gen
No votes

Total votes: 18

Little J
United Kingdom

Re: New Medium Helicopter [NMH] - (RAF & AAC)

Post by Little J »

mrclark303 wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 17:42
The H160 sounds like the helicopter the AAC should have got instead of the Wildcat.

Double the troop lift and I'll bet half the cost of Wildcat.
You've been banging on for ages that we shouldn't get the AW149 or H175m because they're civilian aircraft, but we should have had the H160 (civilian aircraft) instead of the Wildcat?

Not that I'm disagreeing that the Wildcat is to small. I love the Lynx, but Wildcat should have been somewhere in the aw169 / aw139 / H160 sized area (with a folding tail).

I just don't follow your train of thought.

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

mrclark303 wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 17:42 The H160 sounds like the helicopter the AAC should have got instead of the Wildcat.
So AAC (and RN) should get helicopter which didn't even existed when Westland started working on Wildcat. Wildcat was contracted, had first flight and was introduced both in the Army and the Navy before H160 even the had first test flight. Not to mention that first H160M is planed to be delivered to the French Army in 2027.

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

sol wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 23:47
mrclark303 wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 17:42 The H160 sounds like the helicopter the AAC should have got instead of the Wildcat.
So AAC (and RN) should get helicopter which didn't even existed when Westland started working on Wildcat. Wildcat was contracted, had first flight and was introduced both in the Army and the Navy before H160 even the had first test flight. Not to mention that first H160M is planed to be delivered to the French Army in 2027.
No, just pointing out that the H160, is a better fit for the light utility role than Army Wildcat.

Carries 9, Wildcat 4 ...

Seems like a capable little helicopter for the Armies light utility requirements.

The RN should keep their Wildcats, perhaps transfer 10 of the Army examples to the Navy, refitted with full Navy spec, sell the rest and try to kickstart an export market for the type...

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Little J wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 19:45
mrclark303 wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 17:42
The H160 sounds like the helicopter the AAC should have got instead of the Wildcat.

Double the troop lift and I'll bet half the cost of Wildcat.
You've been banging on for ages that we shouldn't get the AW149 or H175m because they're civilian aircraft, but we should have had the H160 (civilian aircraft) instead of the Wildcat?

Not that I'm disagreeing that the Wildcat is to small. I love the Lynx, but Wildcat should have been somewhere in the aw169 / aw139 / H160 sized area (with a folding tail).

I just don't follow your train of thought.
It's a different requirement. We aren't talking medium lift, we are talking 'light' utility here, there are no purely military aircraft that fit the bill, except the chocolate tea pot that is the Army utility Wildcat, a helicopter extremely limited in the utility role!

The H160 would be a good light utility fit for the AAC, carrying a Platoon, though perhaps not a fully equipped one, but a useful load non the less.

Alternatively, just save money, go bigger, buy 60 + UH60's and replace the Army Wildcat with that too...

The supposed 'scouting' role of the Army Wildcat is pure PR bullshit anyway, it carries no scouting equipment save a rudimentary forward mounted flir, or weapons fit, save a door mounted Gimpy and would be simply shot out of the sky if used in this role against a sophisticated enemy.

As stated elsewhere, transfer 10 Wildcat to the Navy and sell the rest to try and kickstart Wildcat sales and try to salvage something for the billions of tax payers money sunk into the Wasteland white elephant.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

mrclark303 wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 04:09 Alternatively, just save money, go bigger, buy 60 + UH60's and replace the Army Wildcat with that too...
*cough* AW149 *cough*... :thumbup: :lol:

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Little J wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 15:50
mrclark303 wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 04:09 Alternatively, just save money, go bigger, buy 60 + UH60's and replace the Army Wildcat with that too...
*cough* AW149 *cough*... :thumbup: :lol:
😂😂🤣

Well, one thing in its corner now, Poland have started receiving aircraft, so I assume they paid to complete it's development to a full NATO compatible standard?

That's one tick in the box

Questions needing to be answered, can it take typical non critical LZ bullet hole damage, be immediately patched up and back into service, or not?

Is it capable of maritime deployment and use in reasonably high sea states?

Our helicopter assets are spread so thin, the new Medium helicopter must be capable of being Carrier embarked when the situation calls for it. It must be a flexible asset.

What's its comparative cost against the UH-60 benchmark?

Non of this, UK economic benefits nonsense either, as that money doesn't come back to the defence budget, it just takes a bigger bite out of it than necessary.

Someone convince me that it's not just another Wastelands white elephant like the Wildcat.

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

Seems like there is official confirmation of ordering 6 H145 for Cyprus and Brunei, officially designated Jupiter HC2. Price of contract should be 140 million.

These users liked the author sol for the post:
mrclark303

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

sol wrote: 13 Nov 2023, 13:44 Seems like there is official confirmation of ordering 6 H145 for Cyprus and Brunei, officially designated Jupiter HC2. Price of contract should be 140 million.

Well, there we go, pretty much guaranteeing that the medium helicopter order will be a paltry 25 airframes...

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

mrclark303 wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 19:27 Questions needing to be answered, can it take typical non critical LZ bullet hole damage, be immediately patched up and back into service, or not?

Those 2 questions would be very relevant if the timeline was different and we were onboard with the French on H160m. They are just as likely to get shot at as the "medium lift" (that you referred to earlier). It has a narrow wheel track, I would be nervous of putting that thing down on anything other than a Carrier/LPH, so SF working off a frigate could be interesting...

With regards to the Jupiter HC.2 and NMH, it looks like we aren't going to be getting all our ducks in a row, yet again. :roll:
And tbh, I think your estimate of 25 airframes may be to high now. I would have a guess at about 20 (less than the Puma fleet), putting up the price of anything assembled/built from kits in the UK. Making a FMS from the US for Blackhawks more likely.
These users liked the author Little J for the post:
mrclark303

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

These users liked the author SKB for the post:
Jensy

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

mrclark303 wrote: 13 Nov 2023, 14:56
sol wrote: 13 Nov 2023, 13:44 Seems like there is official confirmation of ordering 6 H145 for Cyprus and Brunei, officially designated Jupiter HC2. Price of contract should be 140 million.

Well, there we go, pretty much guaranteeing that the medium helicopter order will be a paltry 25 airframes...

Money was take as net neutral.

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Little J wrote: 13 Nov 2023, 15:29
mrclark303 wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 19:27 Questions needing to be answered, can it take typical non critical LZ bullet hole damage, be immediately patched up and back into service, or not?

Those 2 questions would be very relevant if the timeline was different and we were onboard with the French on H160m. They are just as likely to get shot at as the "medium lift" (that you referred to earlier). It has a narrow wheel track, I would be nervous of putting that thing down on anything other than a Carrier/LPH, so SF working off a frigate could be interesting...

With regards to the Jupiter HC.2 and NMH, it looks like we aren't going to be getting all our ducks in a row, yet again. :roll:
And tbh, I think your estimate of 25 airframes may be to high now. I would have a guess at about 20 (less than the Puma fleet), putting up the price of anything assembled/built from kits in the UK. Making a FMS from the US for Blackhawks more likely.
Less than 20, just don't bother quite frankly. The fleet is so small you may as well lease something suitable and affordable to fill the gap until someone wakes up and takes it bloody seriously.

Setting up UK assembly for a pitiful handful of airframes would be a preposterous waste of money, even by our dizzying procurement standards!

The unit and support costs would be absolutely through the roof expensive on such small numbers.

If we really are turning out Medium Helicopter capability into such a small neche affair, then just lease what's out there and be dammed.

Everyone else in Europe is waking up and taking defence seriously, our politicians just don't seem to give a toss to me.

It seems beyond bloody obvious we need a fleet of 50 plus capable Medium Helicopters to supplement the Chinook fleet and to use for missions Chinook isn't appropriate for...
These users liked the author mrclark303 for the post:
serge750

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Airbus promo video...

These users liked the author Little J for the post:
new guy

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

Even with H145 covering replacements of Bell 212 & 412 in Brunei and Cyrus, UK will still need some 20-30 helicopters to replace Puma and AS365 (?). It would still need to equip 2 RAF squadrons currently operating Puma, 1 OCU RAF squadron, provide at least one helicopter for 22 Squadron RAF (OEU) and 1 AAC squadron. And those are just current units that operate types that needs to be replaced, not sure if there is some other units that would be converted to operate new helicopter.

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

sol wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 08:22 Even with H145 covering replacements of Bell 212 & 412 in Brunei and Cyrus, UK will still need some 20-30 helicopters to replace Puma and AS365 (?). It would still need to equip 2 RAF squadrons currently operating Puma, 1 OCU RAF squadron, provide at least one helicopter for 22 Squadron RAF (OEU) and 1 AAC squadron. And those are just current units that operate types that needs to be replaced, not sure if there is some other units that would be converted to operate new helicopter.
I think the whole thing will simply be stalled, kettle left boiling on the cooker and everything dumped on the next, probably Labour government.

As we fall back from the originally envisioned 40 odd machines, probably down to half that number, circa 20 odd, local assembly now makes no economic sense.

A simple straight purchase of a suitable and affordable type is needed now.

I can see the whole Medium helicopter programme eventually boiling down so there's only steam left in the kettle with no decision being made and Puma requiring withdrawal.

The result probably being an additional small order for H145 ( another 10) and an additional 12 Chinook.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

If V-280 is the long term goal, shouldn't we be hearing about tie ups with UK companies by now?

More Chinooks? Do we really need any more?

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Little J wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 11:20 If V-280 is the long term goal, shouldn't we be hearing about tie ups with UK companies by now?

To make V-280 more expensive!?

I would have thought if UK was looking for a tilt rotor, and an expensive one, we'd be looking at AW609.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Little J wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 11:20 If V-280 is the long term goal, shouldn't we be hearing about tie ups with UK companies by now?

V-280 is being manufactured by companies that have uk subsidiaries with all the manufacturing capabilities required to dual source production if that was the desired route

Gkn do the tail, spirit AeroSystems the composite fuselage and for production likely Rolls Royce engines.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
Little J

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SW1 wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 11:38

V-280 is being manufactured by companies that have uk subsidiaries with all the manufacturing capabilities required to dual source production if that was the desired route

Gkn do the tail, spirit AeroSystems the composite fuselage and for production likely Rolls Royce engines.
The problem is V280 and all its fancy tech is still years from service with the US, never mind for export countries.

It's certainly something to look at in the 2035 timeframe, that's for sure.

Re Chinook, no, I don't think we need to further enlarge the fleet, but it's a simple political solution to a perceived problem.

Like l said, 12 more Chinook and and another handful of H145, problem solved as far as your typical politician is concerned,

"You want helicopter 'lift', job done"

While not taking in the actual military requirements and uses for a capable medium lift platform.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

mrclark303 wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 12:08

The problem is V280 and all its fancy tech is still years from service with the US, never mind for export countries.

Re Chinook, no, I don't think we need to further enlarge the fleet, but it's a simple political solution to a perceived problem.

Like l said, 12 more Chinook and and another handful of H145, problem solved as far as your typical politician is concerned,

While not taking in the actual military requirements and uses for a capable medium lift platform.

There’s nothing to say they won’t just bring Puma back anll to the uk and extend it further. I personally think changing to tilt rotor has many many implications.

It depends where the urban requirement is going. I would think a medium helicopter is a better more realistic option for the uk. As a whole I would have just 3 helicopter types in the UK.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
mrclark303

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SW1 wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 12:30
mrclark303 wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 12:08

There’s nothing to say they won’t just bring Puma back anll to the uk and extend it further. I personally think changing to tilt rotor has many many implications.

It depends where the urban requirement is going. I would think a medium helicopter is a better more realistic option for the uk. As a whole I would have just 3 helicopter types in the UK.
Refurbish Puma again, possibly, never say never, but unlikely.

I don't think it would be politically acceptable.

Like I said, I suspect the problem will be dumped in Labours lap, were it will be deferred once again, subject to the outcome of their SDSR.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

mrclark303 wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 12:08 The problem is V280 and all its fancy tech is still years from service with the US, never mind for export countries.

My apologies, that is what i meant when i said long term, I should have been clearer.

I could see us getting x amount of 280's in the future and keeping on some of the NMH for the roles that tilt-rotor's are not suited.

Meriv9
Italy

Post by Meriv9 »

RunningStrong wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 11:28

To make V-280 more expensive!?

I would have thought if UK was looking for a tilt rotor, and an expensive one, we'd be looking at AW609.
The AW609 is older generation tilt rotor and way smaller, too small that is hindering its commercial use.

As you can see there isnt space thus the only possible uses for the AW609 is SAR or MEDVAC where its speed make it more competitive than an helo.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Interesting post from Gabriel, is this a sign that the AW149 has won NMH (as we all expected it probably would) or if something else wins, is it a sign that the MoD is going to add yet another type to the inventory instead of using some joined-up thinking (and we all probably expect this too :lol: )? I did also find it interesting that he says its basically between the AW149 and the UH-60... I wonder what is putting Airbus in third place for him?

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Little J wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 17:39 Interesting post from Gabriel, is this a sign that the AW149 has won NMH (as we all expected it probably would) or if something else wins, is it a sign that the MoD is going to add yet another type to the inventory instead of using some joined-up thinking (and we all probably expect this too :lol: )? I did also find it interesting that he says its basically between the AW149 and the UH-60... I wonder what is putting Airbus in third place for him?

If we keep watering down the requirments for medium helicopters by nibbling away at the core number, we may as well just lease a minimum number of Puma replacements off the shelf and be done with it....