Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
Little J
United Kingdom

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Post by Little J »

It's India, if you haven't been accused of corruption, then you're doing something wrong.

Give it a couple of years and Safran's name will be dirt too.
These users liked the author Little J for the post:
zavve

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Little J wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 12:54 It's India, if you haven't been accused of corruption, then you're doing something wrong.

Give it a couple of years and Safran's name will be dirt too.
Doe anyone actually think India is capable of bringing AMCA to fruition?

Anyone?

Nor me, no chance whatsoever....

Just buy some Thypoons off us.

Roll up, roll up, anyone want to buy some fighters?

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

France has never built anything in India

Germany has never exported any fighter aircraft since WW2

I’m sure Dassault have great sales people. Same guys who sold Mirage 3 to the RAAF, and then refused to let them use it in the Vietnam war

Just sayin

Spitfire9
Norway

Post by Spitfire9 »

UK to take over marketing Eurofighter to India for its MRFA tender? There are also reports that there could be a big drop in the price offered for tranche 4 Typhoon.
https://idrw.org/united-kingdom-to-take ... e_vignette

I am not sure how accurate the video report is. It speaks of 'shifting the production line from Europe to India', for example. Could that refer to unused production jigs reportedly built for the SA assembly line that came to nothing?

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Spitfire9 wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 13:28 UK to take over marketing Eurofighter to India for its MRFA tender? There are also reports that there could be a big drop in the price offered for tranche 4 Typhoon.
https://idrw.org/united-kingdom-to-take ... e_vignette

I am not sure how accurate the video report is. It speaks of 'shifting the production line from Europe to India', for example. Could that refer to unused production jigs reportedly built for the SA assembly line that came to nothing?

Nice if we can flog a batch to India's utterly chaotic procument policy....

I can't imagine what the logistical support situation is for so many diverse fleets of fighters, an insane way of running an Airforce.

Expect horrendous and tortuous negotiations, rather them than me!

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

To be fair, they have many mouths to feed, all those poorly paid public officials...

India will need to make a decision sooon though or they may end up flying Chinese by default

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SD67 wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 12:54 To be fair, they have many mouths to feed, all those poorly paid public officials...

India will need to make a decision sooon though or they may end up flying Chinese by default
Not Chinese, the two are are diametrically opposed and Pakistan would throw an absolute fit!

It's more Rafael, Su30, etc, or a awful new teeth pulling exercise negotiating to buy 36 Thypoons ....

I think members of the French negotiating team are probably still off work having had mental breakdowns dealing with grinding and confusing Indian bureaucracy!
These users liked the author mrclark303 for the post:
Jensy

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

mrclark303 wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 14:07
SD67 wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 12:54 To be fair, they have many mouths to feed, all those poorly paid public officials...

Not Chinese, the two are are diametrically opposed and Pakistan would throw an absolute fit!

It's more Rafael, Su30, etc, or a awful new teeth pulling exercise negotiating to buy 36 Thypoons ....

I think members of the French negotiating team are probably still off work having had mental breakdowns dealing with grinding and confusing Indian bureaucracy!
I meant as in losing a war to China - being facetious
The French will be fine - never won a war or lost a negotiation :-)
These users liked the author SD67 for the post:
mrclark303

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

I didn't realise meteor is actually operational on typhoon until I saw the new C4 series with it on the jets. :crazy:

inch

Post by inch »

Just my own humble opinion but I don't think I india would every buy from the UK a major jet fighter,they have a historical dislike of the UK brand in my own opinion,think that's why maybe Germany was leading the negotiations for India ,think India will go with Rafael again,think France got that one sown up and if India was smart they should buy or get involved with the FCAS project somehow in the future,think the Russian choice for India is diminished after the Ukraine war ,think UK typhoon talks will only be used for better deal with France , and my own opinion but do we really want to go down that neverending non resulting minefield with India ,we are better off staying well clear tbh
These users liked the author inch for the post (total 2):
serge750Spitfire9

Spitfire9
Norway

Post by Spitfire9 »

inch wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 08:50 Just my own humble opinion but I don't think I india would every buy from the UK a major jet fighter,they have a historical dislike of the UK brand in my own opinion,think that's why maybe Germany was leading the negotiations for India ,think India will go with Rafael again,think France got that one sown up and if India was smart they should buy or get involved with the FCAS project somehow in the future,think the Russian choice for India is diminished after the Ukraine war ,think UK typhoon talks will only be used for better deal with France , and my own opinion but do we really want to go down that neverending non resulting minefield with India ,we are better off staying well clear tbh
Yes, I don't think the MRFA competition will ever be concluded with an order. The programme is looking less likely to procede to a conclusion since IAF needs fighters soon. There is talk of buying another 100 Tejas Mk1A to help maintain squadron numbers and the logical thing would be to combine that with another 36 or more off the shelf Rafale.

PS Last export price I saw for Tejas Mk1A was $45 million a frame so 100 Tejas Mk1A should cost well under $6 billion. Cheap, cheerful and made in India!

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

inch wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 08:50 Just my own humble opinion but I don't think I india would every buy from the UK a major jet fighter,they have a historical dislike of the UK brand in my own opinion,think that's why maybe Germany was leading the negotiations for India ,think India will go with Rafael again,think France got that one sown up and if India was smart they should buy or get involved with the FCAS project somehow in the future,think the Russian choice for India is diminished after the Ukraine war ,think UK typhoon talks will only be used for better deal with France , and my own opinion but do we really want to go down that neverending non resulting minefield with India ,we are better off staying well clear tbh
India has a historical dislike of the UK brand - eh?
Gnat, Hawk, Jaguar, Harrier, HMS Hermes, M777

The same UK that has an Indian PM and is the biggest market for Indian IT and with whom India is planning to complete a trade deal this year

Germany was leading the negotiations because Eurofighter was a dumb arrangement

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Spitfire9 wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 10:08
Yes, I don't think the MRFA competition will ever be concluded with an order. The programme is looking less likely to procede to a conclusion since IAF needs fighters soon. There is talk of buying another 100 Tejas Mk1A to help maintain squadron numbers and the logical thing would be to combine that with another 36 or more off the shelf Rafale.

PS Last export price I saw for Tejas Mk1A was $45 million a frame so 100 Tejas Mk1A should cost well under $6 billion. Cheap, cheerful and made in India!
Is the Tejas Mk1A any good?

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

SD67 wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 13:47

The same UK that has an Indian PM and is the biggest market for Indian IT and with whom India is planning to complete a trade deal this year

Germany lead in India because bae was being investigated over irregularities around there hawk deal.

zavve
Sweden

Post by zavve »

dmereifield wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 16:06 Is the Tejas Mk1A any good?
Not really. Tejas is basically a Gripen, but worse in every way.
These users liked the author zavve for the post:
TheLoneRanger

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

zavve wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 18:21
Thanks

Spitfire9
Norway

Post by Spitfire9 »

zavve wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 18:21
Tejas Mk1A AESA radar is inferior to Gripen C radar? Gripen E is in a much higher price bracket.

zavve
Sweden

Post by zavve »

Spitfire9 wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 18:54 Tejas Mk1A AESA radar is inferior to Gripen C radar? Gripen E is in a much higher price bracket.
Where did I state that?
I'm talking about Gripen E, as Gripen C is not in production. You can't just cherry-pick the best current variant for HAL (Tejas MK1A) and the worst current variant for SAAB (Gripen C). Even a Gripen C blows the wings of a Tejas MK1A. This is more due to ECM and Meteor than radars. And If we are talking about Gripen E vs. Tejas Mk1A, I would just say you get what you pay for.
These users liked the author zavve for the post:
TheLoneRanger

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

SW1 wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 16:49

Germany lead in India because bae was being investigated over irregularities around there hawk deal.
Irregularities = Doing Business
The fact that BAE won a contract in India is almost proof of irregularities in itself.
These users liked the author SD67 for the post:
Jensy

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SD67 wrote: 01 Sep 2023, 06:21

The fact that BAE won a contract in India is almost proof of irregularities in itself.
I think India will likely go for a second batch of Rafael, it makes the most sense.

That said, there is no sense whatsoever in Indian procurement, they will ( and do) order batches of competing designs to the same job.

It's an insane way of spending your defence buck....

Let Germany pull their hair out with that nonsense I say.

Interesting that the Germans don't appear to have an issue with the persecution of Christians in India by other religions, or the many human rights violations, or Indians refusal to condem the Russian invasion of Ukraine....

They obviously apply a different 'moral standard' than they apply to Saudi Arabia, curious isn't it....

I think we should be petty here, allow the Germans to negotiate a deal after enduring agonising Indian bureaucracy and then block it on moral grounds ..
. Give them a taste of their own medicine....😂😂
These users liked the author mrclark303 for the post:
Herc15

Icedragon9
Canada

Post by Icedragon9 »

mrclark303 wrote: 01 Sep 2023, 09:04

I think India will likely go for a second batch of Rafael, it makes the most sense.

That said, there is no sense whatsoever in Indian procurement, they will ( and do) order batches of competing designs to the same job.

Interesting that the Germans don't appear to have an issue with the persecution of Christians in India by other religions, or the many human rights violations, or Indians refusal to condem the Russian invasion of Ukraine....

They obviously apply a different 'moral standard' than they apply to Saudi Arabia, curious isn't it....

I think we should be petty here, allow the Germans to negotiate a deal after enduring agonising Indian bureaucracy and then block it on moral grounds ..
Rafale always made more sense for India given that they actually have similar requirements to France.

India needs a fighter that can also be used by their navy on carriers. France has a similar requirement and it was one of the major factors in the Rafale program.

India needs a fighter that can be used for air delivery of nuclear waepons. France has a similar requirement and again the Rafale was designed with nuclear delivery in mind.

I've even seen reports that the Indian navy wants to operate nuclear capable carrier fighters just like France does with its MF3 aircraft on the CDG. I think France is also currently the only other country that does this.

Regardless of other political factors the Rafale just fits India's requirements better.
These users liked the author Icedragon9 for the post:
mrclark303

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Icedragon9 wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 07:25

Rafale always made more sense for India given that they actually have similar requirements to France.

India needs a fighter that can also be used by their navy on carriers. France has a similar requirement and it was one of the major factors in the Rafale program.

India needs a fighter that can be used for air delivery of nuclear waepons. France has a similar requirement and again the Rafale was designed with nuclear delivery in mind.

I've even seen reports that the Indian navy wants to operate nuclear capable carrier fighters just like France does with its MF3 aircraft on the CDG. I think France is also currently the only other country that does this.

Regardless of other political factors the Rafale just fits India's requirements better.
I would be inclined to agree, Rafael is by a country mile the best all round asset they have, they would be better off with a large single fleet of Rafael, backed up by their very capable Jaguar fleet and getting shot of their tardy Russian crap.

Spitfire9
Norway

Post by Spitfire9 »

If the MRFA competition for 114 'Made in India' fighters is not dropped, Typhoon may be in with a chance. The rules of the previous MMRCA competition said that of the fighters assessed as meeting the requirement, the lowest cost type would be selected. If those rules apply again in MRFA, Eurofighter could be selected on cost. Mind you, it could take time: MRFA kicked off in 2018 and has yet to reach request for proposal stage!
These users liked the author Spitfire9 for the post:
mrclark303