Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Digger22
England

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Digger22 »

I suppose that could have been used as a lock too?. Interesting, any way I'm off topic............

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

When was it they put LB02 and 3 in the dry dock? POW just seems to be coming together really quickly!

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

Jdam wrote:When was it they put LB02 and 3 in the dry dock? POW just seems to be coming together really quickly!
9th September 2015. Phenomenal!

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Nothing entirely new here, but it is another news recap with photos about the progress of the carrier programme, from the Royal Marines association. https://royalmarinesassociation.org.uk/ ... update.pdf
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Jessie
United Kingdom

Post by Jessie »

Don't know if anyone's posted this yet, I did go back but couldn't find it... Towards the end of the film, is it my imagination or does the woman refer to the carrier program as the QE2 program?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Jessie wrote:Don't know if anyone's posted this yet, I did go back but couldn't find it... Towards the end of the film, is it my imagination or does the woman refer to the carrier program as the QE2 program?
She definately says 'QEC Programme' @ 6:18 ;)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Seeing how much quicker & more efficiently they're putting togther PoW, it's hard to understand that they can't get the price of the T26 down to acceptable levels after building 8.

Sorry, off topic.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

BBC report that the Forth Road Bridge (near Rosyth and the QEC's) has been closed until the New Year due to "structural defects" ! :shock:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35001277

CJ, got a boat? You could make a few quid doing a ferry service! ;)

CarrierFan2006

Post by CarrierFan2006 »

arfah wrote:Nimitz
Theodore Roosevelt
Dwight D Eisenhower
George Washington
Abraham Lincoln
Harry S Truman
Carl Vinson
John C Stennis
Ronald Reagan
George H W Bush

Are in active fleet service.
All Nimitz class
Great ships all.

I wonder why the USN gives its ships the full name of its namesake? Why not USS;

Nimitz
Eisenhower
Washington
Lincoln
Truman
Vinson
Stennis
Reagan
Bush

Just as noble. They have the USS Winston S Churchill too... Why not just USS Churchill? Always struck me as a bit ostentatious somehow. They didn't do it with Nimitz either... Must have brought in a policy after she was commissioned... USS Chester Nimitz... Not quite right somehow.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

CarrierFan2006 wrote:
arfah wrote:Nimitz
Theodore Roosevelt
Dwight D Eisenhower
George Washington
Abraham Lincoln
Harry S Truman
Carl Vinson
John C Stennis
Ronald Reagan
George H W Bush

Are in active fleet service.
All Nimitz class
Great ships all.

I wonder why the USN gives its ships the full name of its namesake? Why not USS;

Nimitz
Eisenhower
Washington
Lincoln
Truman
Vinson
Stennis
Reagan
Bush

Just as noble. They have the USS Winston S Churchill too... Why not just USS Churchill? Always struck me as a bit ostentatious somehow. They didn't do it with Nimitz either... Must have brought in a policy after she was commissioned... USS Chester Nimitz... Not quite right somehow.
Using surnames only is an English public school affectation that is considered impolite in the US. Acceptable in newspaper headlines but not elsewhere.

:-)

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

CarrierFan2006 wrote:Just as noble. They have the USS Winston S Churchill too... Why not just USS Churchill?
Because then you wouldn't know that it wasn't named after a nodding dog mascot. :)

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

His full name is 'Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill'

HMS Churchill was an SSN and named for his forebear John Churchill. Hero of Blenheim.
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Old RN
South Africa

Post by Old RN »

The original name for the Churchill class SSNs was to be the 'S' class following on from the 'R' class (Resolution class) but when Churchill died the class was renamed to honour him. The 'S' class (Swiftsure) then followed.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Old RN
South Africa

Post by Old RN »

Just showing my age!!!

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

Well I hope they are done with most of the weather proofing up there, bit of a gnarly storm kicking around!

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Very nice internal tour of the Queen Liz. Some interesting views of the ops rooms and command & control spaces (including the bridge): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35035097

The size of the internal spaces really drives home just how big and how spacious (even relative to our cousins' carriers on that particular front) she really is. They are not far short of cavernous.

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:Very nice internal tour of the Queen Liz. Some interesting views of the ops rooms and command & control spaces (including the bridge): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35035097
Good reporting, good information presented.
But the "social-media cameraman" approach... Bloody awful.
A "plonker with a camera" does not require a job at the beeb.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Anyone notice the 'state-of-the-art ops room' with a Windows XP computer running in it?! ;)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

SKB wrote:Anyone notice the 'state-of-the-art ops room' with a Windows XP computer running in it?! ;)
You'd find the same on a US warship. I'd guess XP might be the latest Windows qualified for military use.

Also, WTF in every British TV program/video report does the camera spend 90% onf the time on the dumbass reporter. Who gives a rats what the idiot looks like. Voice over only please, we want to see the subject of the report.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Did he say three thousand people working on the ship ?

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

SKB wrote:Anyone notice the 'state-of-the-art ops room' with a Windows XP computer running in it?! ;)
The lack of a taskbar and any icons suggests that the monitor is running an extended desktop most likely from one of the laptops the engineers are using to configure/test the CMS. In my experience, engineer's laptops are invariably several generations behind as a) they just need to be able to run a TFTP server, PuTTY and any old browser and b) You aren't allowed to connect them to external (corporate) networks due to the need to maintian an air gap to the 'outside' world (read Internet) particularly when one is marked SECRET!

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Isn't our command system still based on a Windows 2000 back end with an XP front end?

easydiver
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by easydiver »

There appears to be a problem with the paintwork. Maybe corners were cut to be ready for the naming ceremony.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

easydiver wrote:There appears to be a problem with the paintwork. Maybe corners were cut to be ready for the naming ceremony.
There was a news article a while back about the QE's grey paintwork being contaminated with dirt and debris before the christening in 2014.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1341 ... ust_fears/