Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
PhillyJ
England

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by PhillyJ »

Ron5 wrote:Read this morning that he'll be back at sea in May.
He is with us for Christmas day so I will ply him with drink and get him to spill the beans on current PWLS news...if I remember them is another matter of course. We go into Tier4 from Boxing Day so not sure when I'll see him again after that. :thumbdown:

BlueD954
Singapore

Post by BlueD954 »

https://ted.europa.eu/udl?uri=TED:NOTIC ... HTML&src=0

II.2.4)
Description of the procurement:

The Secretary of State for Defence intends to award a contract to Viasat UK Ltd for the provision of quantity ten Link 16 Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS) Mobile Crates, for the T45 and QEC platforms under the Maritime Multi-Link (MML) Project. This is the only product currently on the market that meets both the technical requirement and access size restrictions of both the T45 and QEC platforms, mitigating the need to cut metal and reducing the risk of installation.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

BlueD954 wrote:quantity ten Link 16 Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS) Mobile Crates, for the T45 and QEC platforms
Carriers will get redundancy built in, with two units each?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Would the type 26 benefit from these as well for their operations

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Merry Xmas from QE..

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Bring Deeps
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Bring Deeps »

There is not much new news out there so for those interested in the harbour rules when one of the carriers enters or leaves Portsmouth:

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/QHM/Portsm ... FT-CARRIER

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

BlueD954 wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/news/carr ... -milestone

Carrier strike IOC reached.
Thats massive news. Particularly with CSG21 (hopefully no issues with COVID there..). Full Operating Capability still on track for December 2023.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Crowsnest included?

BlueD954
Singapore

Post by BlueD954 »

SKB wrote:Crowsnest included?
Only IOC as well.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Sounds a pretty good thing to have in the absence of a dedicated anti-ship missile, im sure a 4 F35b flight carrying 32missiles would be able to damage or deter a few vessels getting to close to our CVBG,

75nm stand of range add to that a F35b combat radius, got to be a strike of well over 500nm?

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Wouldn’t get to excited it will be about 7 years before they appear on a boat.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Did not realise that they were that subsonic!

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

SW1 wrote:Wouldn’t get to excited it will be about 7 years before they appear on a boat.
Yes, Seems as though everything takes ages to integrate ....

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

serge750 wrote:
SW1 wrote:Wouldn’t get to excited it will be about 7 years before they appear on a boat.
I imagine that if shit really hit the fan and there was an operational requirement for them they'd be integrated in weeks(?)

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

dmereifield wrote:
serge750 wrote:
I imagine that if shit really hit the fan and there was an operational requirement for them they'd be integrated in weeks(?)
Interesting question, considering Lockheed USA would be doing the work it might not be that easy.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

If it takes 7 years, how about buying JSM now? JSM is in production and can be carried underwing of F35, as I understand?

SPEAR3 and JSM is in different class, so they can go along with after SPEAR3 introduction.

JSM MIGHT have some overlap with FCASW, but it all depends on FCASW specification. As I think RN shall adopt NSM as interim ship-to-ship missile, the "overlap" issue will be common. So, if FCASW become a missile very different from JSM/NSM, the issues are solved (anyway FC-ASW integration to F35B is decades away, not surprised if it was not integrated to F35b even in 2040).

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

dmereifield wrote:I imagine that if shit really hit the fan and there was an operational requirement for them they'd be integrated in weeks(?)
Not a hope I'm afraid. Spear will only be doing guided trials over the next 2 years, and thats from Typhoon. Won't be ready for operational service until at least 2023/4. Integration work started in 2019 for Spear and F-35 but will be at the very early stages. Best will in the world wouldn't see Spear on an F-35 in an emergency until 2024 as it just doesn't exist at present.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

donald_of_tokyo wrote:If it takes 7 years, how about buying JSM now? JSM is in production and can be carried underwing of F35, as I understand?

SPEAR3 and JSM is in different class, so they can go along with after SPEAR3 introduction.

JSM MIGHT have some overlap with FCASW, but it all depends on FCASW specification. As I think RN shall adopt NSM as interim ship-to-ship missile, the "overlap" issue will be common. So, if FCASW become a missile very different from JSM/NSM, the issues are solved (anyway FC-ASW integration to F35B is decades away, not surprised if it was not integrated to F35b even in 2040).
JSM still isn't cleared for F-35. The testing campaign has yet to get going, no flight trials of dummys or live releases to date. Just fit tests some time ago on wing carriage and internal carry.

It will be able to be carried by F-35B on the inner and mid wing pylons.. I suspect not initially though as trials will focus on internal carriage and inner wing pylon first. Basically you're not going to see JSM cleared and on F-35B before 2024 at the earliest.

No real overlap between JSM and FCASW. JSM is 900lb's, and you can expect FCASW to be in the 3,000lb weapon class (like Storm Shadow)

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

PhillyJ wrote:Well that's my lad all packed up and relocated to MOD Caledonia (Rosyth) for the foreseeable future courtesy of National Rail. How he managed to traverse the underground from Waterloo to Kings Cross with all his kit is a miracle! Cannot wait to see him arrive at HMNB Pompey onboard POW sometime this year. :)
Wow, this was 2 years ago...time flies! He has at least been to Liverpool on her I suppose, though got thoroughly soaked stood at his GPMG position whilst sailing up the Mersey. He also had to do a real time run to action stations one night when a Russki ship got too close apparently.

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Timmymagic wrote:
donald_of_tokyo wrote:If it takes 7 years, how about buying JSM now? JSM is in production and can be carried underwing of F35, as I understand?

JSM still isn't cleared for F-35. The testing campaign has yet to get going, no flight trials of dummys or live releases to date. Just fit tests some time ago on wing carriage and internal carry.

It will be able to be carried by F-35B on the inner and mid wing pylons.. I suspect not initially though as trials will focus on internal carriage and inner wing pylon first. Basically you're not going to see JSM cleared and on F-35B before 2024 at the earliest.

No real overlap between JSM and FCASW. JSM is 900lb's, and you can expect FCASW to be in the 3,000lb weapon class (like Storm Shadow)
Just to clarify my understanding the JSM is too long to fit into the shorter F-35B weapons bay and will require external carriage degrading its stealth capabilities plus to be effective assume it will need Block 4 a/c with the upgraded AN/APG-81 radar capable of wide area surface search by 'big SAR' enabled by additional computing power, GPU's and upgraded software.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Timmymagic wrote:Basically you're not going to see JSM cleared and on F-35B before 2024 at the earliest

I'm curious as to who is the customer that would pay for this integration?

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

PhillyJ wrote:
PhillyJ wrote:Well that's my lad all packed up and relocated to MOD Caledonia (Rosyth) for the foreseeable future courtesy of National Rail. How he managed to traverse the underground from Waterloo to Kings Cross with all his kit is a miracle! Cannot wait to see him arrive at HMNB Pompey onboard POW sometime this year. :)
Wow, this was 2 years ago...time flies! He has at least been to Liverpool on her I suppose, though got thoroughly soaked stood at his GPMG position whilst sailing up the Mersey. He also had to do a real time run to action stations one night when a Russki ship got too close apparently.
Let's hope he gets a shed load more sea time this year!!