Operation Shader - Iraq, Syria

Discuss current, historical or potential future deployments, as well the defence of the UK's overseas interests.
RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Operation Shader - Iraq, Syria

Post by RetroSicotte »

While in past I used it, I think it became increasingly clear how inaccurate that is. Like I said on Skype, I saw massive discrepencies on it treating each weapon release as separate "counts" of air strikes, while other countries it only treated the sortie as one, even if it released 3-4 weapons.

Wouldn't put much faith any more in it. Wish I still had that old Gdocs tracking it all.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Fallon: UK Must Strike Syria Despite Russia Fears
Britain should join airstrikes in Syria and not be "diverted" by the "worrying" risk of a clash with Russian forces, the Defence Secretary has said.

Michael Fallon said there was an "inescapable logic" to extending UK military action across the border from Iraq in its fight against Islamic State (IS).

He also accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of "prolonging" the bloodshed in Syria by supporting President Bashar Assad's regime
Read More: http://news.sky.com/story/1571655/fallo ... ssia-fears

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Syria Crisis: UK 'Letting Down' Allies Over Air Strikes
The UK is "letting down" its allies by failing to launch air strikes against terrorist group Islamic State in Syria, says Britain's top military commander.

General Sir Nicholas Houghton, the chief of the defence staff, criticised the UK policy of restricting RAF air strikes to neighbouring Iraq.

He said the decision "makes no sense" when IS, also known as Isil, has its stronghold in Syria.
Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34759339

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

UK Forces On Frontline Of Battle For Sinjar
British troops are involved on the frontline with Kurdish forces battling to retake Sinjar in northern Iraq from Islamic State.

US-led coalition airstrikes have been pounding IS-held areas in the town - directed by US and British special forces on the frontline, Kurdish Peshmerga commanders have told Sky News.
Read More: http://news.sky.com/story/1586223/uk-fo ... sf-twitter

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

'Jihadi John': US Air Strike Targets Islamic State Militant in Syria
US forces have carried out an air strike targeting the Islamic State group militant "Jihadi John", with a "high degree of certainty" he was hit.

Mohammed Emwazi, the Kuwaiti-born British militant, appeared in videos of the beheadings of Western hostages.
Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34805924

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

Good 30min documentary on Forces TV about OP Shader.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

A Tornado GR4 has reportedly wiped out 30 ISIL fighters with a Paveway IV. The Reapers have also been busy dropping Paveway IIs and one even provided overwatch support for the recent French airstrikes on Raqqa in Syria.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/upda ... es-in-iraq

Does anyone know why there's a BAE 146 picture on that page, by the way? Is it just a library picture or are they being used in support of Op Shader too?

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

The Armchair Soldier wrote: Does anyone know why there's a BAE 146 picture on that page, by the way? Is it just a library picture or are they being used in support of Op Shader too?
10% of our total in one go!
I think they have updated the image to a more suitable one now!
@LandSharkUK

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

The Armchair Soldier wrote: Does anyone know why there's a BAE 146 picture on that page, by the way? Is it just a library picture or are they being used in support of Op Shader too?
I doubt the RAFs BAE 146s being used as routine in shader , maybe the odd vip transport in and out of the theatre of operations but other than that I just can't see the numbers being available ,
it's my understanding the RAF have 5 BAE 146s total in the Royal squadron ??? , one was used to transport Cameron to and from the g20 a few days ago , the others are primary on standby for the Royal family and other leading members of the Government ,
Unless I've got the numbers wrong , I can't see any being available to use in regular operations . As for the pic I'm guessing it's from the mods pic library tbh.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Lugzy wrote:
I doubt the RAFs BAE 146s being used as routine in shader , maybe the odd vip transport in and out of the theatre of operations but other than that I just can't see the numbers being available ,
it's my understanding the RAF have 5 BAE 146s total in the Royal squadron ??? , one was used to transport Cameron to and from the g20 a few days ago , the others are primary on standby for the Royal family and other leading members of the Government ,
Unless I've got the numbers wrong , I can't see any being available to use in regular operations . As for the pic I'm guessing it's from the mods pic library tbh.
I think you do have your numbers wrong

The RFA have 4 BAE 146.
2 are long serving aircraft that are used only for the VIP role. 2 extras where procured in the last 5 years through and UOR for Afghanistan. These where purchased from TNT and converted into a tactical airlifter. They have palletised seating so can be used for passengers, cargo, or a mixture of both!

A brilliant purchase of an in service aircraft being used for a new multi role purpose. Let's buy the rest as they come out of service, 146 mpa any one?? :lol: :lol:
@LandSharkUK

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

@SB , yep your right , and yes they seem a very reliable and tough aircraft and rather useful I must say , but I don't think we need to give the gov more ideas on filling the MPA gap on the cheap :lol: :lol: :lol:

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

BAe have already proposed it in the past.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

shark bait wrote:2 extras where procured in the last 5 years through and UOR for Afghanistan. These where purchased from TNT and converted into a tactical airlifter.
It was the only one they could get quickly enough, to be a taxi for the Bastion centric hub & spokes model of supply... as DAS had been developed/ fitted for the Royal Flight a/c.
- they have a wide side (rear) door, but no ramp
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: It was the only one they could get quickly enough, to be a taxi for the Bastion centric hub & spokes model of supply... as DAS had been developed/ fitted for the Royal Flight a/c.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it was two

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ts-382440/
@LandSharkUK

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Lugzy wrote:@SB , yep your right , and yes they seem a very reliable and tough aircraft and rather useful I must say , but I don't think we need to give the gov more ideas on filling the MPA gap on the cheap :lol: :lol: :lol:
They do seem like a great little aircraft.
BAE are pursuing extra conversions with more of the type coming to the end of their civilian life. Could be worth the RAF investing a little more.
Probably not a workable MPA, but I think I would prefer it to the 'sea herk'
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

shark bait wrote:ArmChairCivvy wrote:
It was the only one they could get quickly enough, to be a taxi for the Bastion centric hub & spokes model of supply... as DAS had been developed/ fitted for the Royal Flight a/c.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it was two
What?? The only type (not one a/c) that already had a DAS developed/ specified, so was quick enough to do for the 2nd hand purchase
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:What?? The only type (not one a/c) that already had a DAS developed/ specified, so was quick enough to do for the 2nd hand purchase
OK, I get what you mean now.

I think there might be a little more to it as well. It was effectively built for the air bridge role, only people from regional to hub. Its a very versitiel aircraft with many roles including fire fighting and atmospheric research. Capable in short, steep and gravel conditions, and also cheap which make it a great purchase in my oppinion.
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Yep, if we need to fly nationals and non-nationals away, from a dirt strip again, like in Libya.
- a quick in and out job
- Herc is good, too, but noisy (and I wasn't quoting Alex above)

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

British Warship Set to Support French Carrier Group on ISIL Mission
The Royal Navy warship HMS Defender will support the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle when she deploys to tackle ISIL. The ship will provide air defence cover for the French carrier.

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said:

France is firmly resolved in its determination to tackle ISIL and we need to help too.

This barbaric terrorist organisation must be destroyed and it’s right that we offer all the support we can to confront them.

We will continue our own advanced surveillance and strike missions against ISIL. They are a threat to our security in the UK, as well as to France and the rest of Europe.

We will consider any further requests for support from France under Article 42.7 of the EU Treaty following Friday’s Paris terror attacks.
Read More: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/brit ... il-mission

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

@SB , ACC
I found this small article on the RAFs site regarding the BAE 146s being used in Afghanistan , it's a few years old but gives a little insight into its operations .

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/bae1 ... 3-29042013

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

All kinds of flying things spotted over Syria, for instance this turned out to be true:

(in conjunction with the equally old Russian bombers; however, they have their factories providing spares, whereas every single USN Tomcat was shredded in the TSR2/ Nimrod MR4A style... just to deny any recovery of parts).

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

The French Defence Secretary, Jean-Yves Le Drian, has written an article in The Guardian calling for the UK to join France in Syrian airstrikes:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw

The Russian Ambassador to the UK, Alexandar Yakovenko, has done a similar article in The Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ether.html

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

So the vote in Parliament has gone in favour of airstrikes in Syria. There's talk of strikes starting within hours.