Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
SKB
England

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by SKB »

And its not as if Victory Jetty is a million miles from publicly accessible exhibits like HMS Victory, Mary Rose, NRNM and M33....

djkeos
Netherlands

Post by djkeos »

In 2009 it was easy to visit HMS Daring in Portsmouth, so what might have changed??

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Those in charge are less DARING? :D

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

As QNLZ is out and about oop north and PWLS is due to leave early next week that way, I wonder if a photo op is on the cards of them both?

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Interesting if feasible.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/boeing- ... er-hornet/

Would give the UK access to tankers & ew support from Growlers. Discuss :?:

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

Could SRVL be conducted sufficiently far down the deck to avoid arrester wires towards the stern of the ship or wires lowered so that they could safely be run over by a landing F-35? If so (and subject to whether a Growler could use our ski jumps as well as India's ski jumps, appropriate landing aids etc, etc and etc again) it would indeed be a significant increase in capability and cross decking ability for modest cost. Sadly I suspect it wouldn't be feasible without having to abandon SRVL if even feasible at all.

It would definitely open up some exiting possibilities though. Welcome onboard RAAF!

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

SKB wrote:You mean I have to go to Liverpool to go aboard as a visitor, on a ship class that's based in my own home city and has never been open to the public?!
Pfft... :roll:
SKB wrote:And its not as if Victory Jetty is a million miles from publicly accessible exhibits like HMS Victory, Mary Rose, NRNM and M33....
Having been on both, you aren't missing much. :lol:

Blackstone
United States of America

Post by Blackstone »

Dahedd wrote:Interesting if feasible.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/boeing- ... er-hornet/

Would give the UK access to tankers & ew support from Growlers. Discuss :?:
Something to remember for when discussion of the carriers' major mid-life refits gets serious, but highly unlikely before then.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Wonder if they will try it with the F35C ??? seem to remember talk? of doing ski-jump testing with the E-2 hawkeye..or did I imagine that....

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

serge750 wrote:doing ski-jump testing with the E-2 hawkeye..or did I imagine that....
perhaps putting a ski jump at both ends:
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

serge750 wrote:seem to remember talk? of doing ski-jump testing with the E-2 hawkeye..or did I imagine that....
Test were done for the Indian navy in the 1980s when they purchased Hermes because the arrester gear room was structurally intact, The Indian Navy were looking into operating Hawkeye. There was some redesign work on the forward strut to allow for the additional stresses when the aircraft entered the ramp. However the Indians went for a cheaper option that didn't require the replacement of the arrester gear and angled deck. but as the present carriers are pre fitted. It makes the integration cheaper. I cannot see a angled deck being fitted to our carriers until there mid life refit. So the best we could hope for is tilt rotor for enhanced A.E.W.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:perhaps putting a ski jump at both ends
Ha. See, I told you back in 2016 they had this two ramps idea planned all along.... :mrgreen:

ThunderPants

Post by ThunderPants »

SKB wrote:You mean I have to go to Liverpool to go aboard as a visitor, on a ship class that's based in my own home city and has never been open to the public?!
Pfft... :roll:
I am looking at flights from Toulouse right now to visit Liverpool for that weekend. Anyone have any idea were she will be docked?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

ThunderPants wrote:
I am looking at flights from Toulouse right now to visit Liverpool for that weekend. Anyone have any idea were she will be docked?

ThunderPants

Post by ThunderPants »

Ok thanks for that, but that does not tell me were it will dock, likely i am a dumb git and just not seen it!. Ok lets try another way, where could a ship of that size actually dock in Liverpool?

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

ThunderPants wrote:Ok thanks for that, but that does not tell me were it will dock, likely i am a dumb git and just not seen it!. Ok lets try another way, where could a ship of that size actually dock in Liverpool?
Most likely is it will dock at the Liverpool cruise terminal, close to the iconic Liver building. There are regular cruise ship visits to Liverpool, including Queen Mary 2, so size is not an issue. Also used by MOD, for example HMS Mersey is alongside today.

ThunderPants

Post by ThunderPants »

Aethulwulf wrote:
ThunderPants wrote:Ok thanks for that, but that does not tell me were it will dock, likely i am a dumb git and just not seen it!. Ok lets try another way, where could a ship of that size actually dock in Liverpool?
Most likely is it will dock at the Liverpool cruise terminal, close to the iconic Liver building. There are regular cruise ship visits to Liverpool, including Queen Mary 2, so size is not an issue. Also used by MOD, for example HMS Mersey is alongside today.
Really never knew there was a cruise terminal in Liverpool, but checked it on google maps and boom there it is!. Anyway flights and hotel booked for that weekend. the only worrying thing i can see is the royal navy site https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -liverpool is saying look out for ticket details, hope these tickets are not limited!

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

ThunderPants wrote:Really never knew there was a cruise terminal in Liverpool, but checked it on google maps and boom there it is!. Anyway flights and hotel booked for that weekend. the only worrying thing i can see is the royal navy site https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... -liverpool is saying look out for ticket details, hope these tickets are not limited!
Me too. Only live an hour's drive from Liverpool and hoping to make a weekend of it. My wife manages major events and she reckons they'll sell timed tours and tickets will probably run out in a couple of hours. Best guess is to follow @VisitLiverpool @MerseyMaritime @CruiseLpool and @HMSPWLS on Twitter.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Here's Liverpool Cruise Terminal on Google Maps: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.40354 ... 3?hl=en-GB

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

For any wanting to see PWLS leave Pompey then Thursday is looking possible, but as the ship is ready to go now I guess it could be when the weather is most favourable. No timings unfortunately.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Booked a hotel in Liverpool. I can't wait.

First UK night flights land on HMS Queen Elizabeth

Pictured: F-35B jets undertake night flying operations on HMS Queen Elizabeth. Four F-35 Lightning jets have completed night landings in HMS Queen Elizabeth flying over UK waters on operational training. The F-35B Lightning jets, flown by 207 Training Squadron from RAF Marham, began night flights on Monday 3 February 2020. The jets are flying daily to and from the ship’s 4.5-acre deck, giving the pilots vital experience in operating from a floating airfield in both daylight and at night, some for the very first time. It also provides further training for the ship’s crew, who have previously conducted trials with UK and US Marine Corps Lightnings in the USA.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

What is UK Strike Force? - appeared in the subtitles
- the MTF (UK pronounciation for a CTF)?
- the thingy that the Defence Committee asked for, to be made available... but on average 40k of the 50k total manning would come from the Army?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Storm Ciara would have been good additional practice for adverse weather conditions

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Indeed, as PWLS was due to leave today then I guess the only way you can really train for this should the need arise (ie weather really doesn't care when war is declared) is to go for it in troublesome times...then shite like this happens! Whilst watching this I assumed the red bits were links due to depths, then I reckoned it was due to them being feckin hot, and yes it is worth watching to the end to understand why the crew abandoned it early on, scary to think that my Lad would be part of this routine should it go wrong.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

PWLS departure brought forward to tomorrow afternoon. I shall be down there, hopefully on the Round Tower, to see my Lad leave Pompey Harbour on his ship for the first time. He has told me he will be in his normal P8 position, but behind his GPMG, so might just see his head above the 'parapet'!

1150 LNTM (PWLS TRANSIT) IN FORCE
1200 MV CAP FINISTERE PIP OSB
1245 MV MONT SAINT MICHEL OSB PIP
1350 - 1500 MAIN CHANNEL CLOSED TO INBOUND AND OUTBOUND VESSELS
1350 - 1420 SMALL BOAT CHANNEL CLOSED TO INBOUND AND OUTBOUND VESSELS
1350 HMS PRINCE OF WALES PRJ OSB P & TA TEMPEST, POWERFUL, INDEPENDENT, INDULGENT, CHRISTINA, SUZANNE MR A BANNISTER
1430 HMS PRINCE OF WALES OSB NAB P & TA TEMPEST, POWERFUL, INDEPENDENT, INDULGENT MR A BANNISTER