UK Defence Forum

News, History, Discussions and Debates on UK Defence.

AW159 Wildcat Helicopter (RN & AAC)

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
Lord Jim

Re: AW159 Wildcat Helicopter (RN & AAC)

Postby Lord Jim » 02 Sep 2018, 07:14

Nice to see but the press release and video of Merlins and Wildcats landing don't stop the discussion of why we have a carrier and no fast jets embarked. Early days I know but many see a big carrier and simply ask "Where are the jets?"

serge750

Postby serge750 » 02 Sep 2018, 14:33

She does seem a bit toothless for the next couple of years....but I suspect if the crap did hit the fan then I would hope the F35/Apache integration could be sped up....don"t we have 9 x F35 in the uk & another 5 or 6 in the US ?

Ps I do admit i have got a Glass half full point of view...

Gabriele

Postby Gabriele » 02 Sep 2018, 18:24

Next year should be a lot better already, though. More complex F-35 trials, and almost certainly more jets on board. Apache will finally go on as well.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

benny14

Postby benny14 » 02 Sep 2018, 21:06

serge750 wrote:She does seem a bit toothless for the next couple of years

Considering she is not operational until late 2020, it matters little at this point.

SKB

Postby SKB » 04 Sep 2018, 01:29

^ ZZ529 "Blackjack"

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 08 Nov 2018, 12:45

THe present for some
"The Philippine Navy (PN) is currently testing its first AW-159 helicopter in the UK. "As confirmed by the Commander Naval Air Group (CNAG), the AW159 has just started initial test flight as part of the manufacturer's trial. It is still scheduled for a series of test flights before scheduling its handover to the Philippines. According as well to CNAG, the flight signals the completion of the first unit," defense department spokesperson Arsenio Andolong, said in a text message to the Philippine News Agency (PNA) on Tuesday. The PN ordered two AW159 Lynx Wildcat naval helicopters for $114 million in March 2016. The helicopters will give the PN a long sought after anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capability, carrying active dipping sonar (ADS), sonobuoys, and torpedoes, while for the anti-surface warfare role it can be armed with anti-ship missiles, rockets, and guns." from DID of today,
but could be useful in optimising the RN mix of assets, going forward
... littoral ops have been talked about for a decade; and Merlin numbers are tight

Defiance

Postby Defiance » 08 Nov 2018, 13:32

Gabriele wrote:Next year should be a lot better already, though. More complex F-35 trials, and almost certainly more jets on board. Apache will finally go on as well.

I'm 90% sure the plan for 2019 involves 7 F-35B, then 2020 is 12 aircraft.

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 08 Nov 2018, 13:41

Defiance wrote:then 2020 is 12 aircraft.

Happens to be the IOC definition (Maritime), too.

Ron5

Postby Ron5 » 08 Nov 2018, 17:28

ArmChairCivvy wrote:THe present for some
"The Philippine Navy (PN) is currently testing its first AW-159 helicopter in the UK. "As confirmed by the Commander Naval Air Group (CNAG), the AW159 has just started initial test flight as part of the manufacturer's trial. It is still scheduled for a series of test flights before scheduling its handover to the Philippines. According as well to CNAG, the flight signals the completion of the first unit," defense department spokesperson Arsenio Andolong, said in a text message to the Philippine News Agency (PNA) on Tuesday. The PN ordered two AW159 Lynx Wildcat naval helicopters for $114 million in March 2016. The helicopters will give the PN a long sought after anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capability, carrying active dipping sonar (ADS), sonobuoys, and torpedoes, while for the anti-surface warfare role it can be armed with anti-ship missiles, rockets, and guns." from DID of today,
but could be useful in optimising the RN mix of assets, going forward
... littoral ops have been talked about for a decade; and Merlin numbers are tight

Problem is endurance carrying all that stuff tho the Korean helo's had extra fuel tanks.

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 08 Nov 2018, 17:44

Ron5 wrote:Problem is endurance carrying all that stuff tho the Korean helo's had extra fuel tanks.

V true, in ASW (the kit weighs "some") endurance is also close to zilch.

Lord Jim

Postby Lord Jim » 10 Nov 2018, 05:30

There is a reason we use the Merlin for ASW and the Wildcat for ASuW, and both are world class for once. I just wish more thought had gone into what we wanted to do with the AAC Wildcats and how they are equipped, I think it is a missed opportunity, and would have been an ideal armed recce platform and fire support platform for the RM, again if things had been thought through.

ArmChairCivvy

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 10 Nov 2018, 09:24

Lord Jim wrote: again if things had been thought through.

The old plan, to take 4+4 from the navy and army orders and fit them for "light attack", disappeared without a trace. However, I read somewhere that this has been done, with 2 for the RM and 2 for SF. Was not able to assess the quality of this information - if it is in the public domain, could only have emerged from a FOI request (as nothing has been announced?).

The article " it was decided to save money by disbanding 657 Sqn and establishing the SF Wildcat Flight" says nothing specific about it and is contradicted by others stating that the Wildcats for such service are drawn from the general pool. And it seems that this one, about the same topic, https://www.janes.com/article/73702/uk- ... s-aviation has been pulled.

Gaby reads a lot of articles :) - may be we can draw on our special correspondent here?

Return to “Joint Service”