Future UK Maritime Patrol Options

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
marktigger
United Kingdom

Re: Future UK Maritime Patrol Options

Post by marktigger »

yes however their courses and tracks can be plotted if they are emitting any form of telemetry signal!

Tiny Toy

Post by Tiny Toy »

marktigger wrote:yes however their courses and tracks can be plotted if they are emitting any form of telemetry signal!
Correct. However you now need 500 expensive missiles instead of one to destroy them.

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

None as far as I know are in touch with the Seedcorn program though one was retiring Ni.rod crew just as the MR4 fiasco was happening (he's of the opinion we should have thrown cash at it until it worked)

They just feel the P1 'looks' right. The 4 engines, the mad boom & the fact it's been designed as a pure MPA from scratch.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

So nothing whatsoever based on facts or first hand experience then!

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Dahedd wrote:None as far as I know are in touch with the Seedcorn program though one was retiring Ni.rod crew just as the MR4 fiasco was happening (he's of the opinion we should have thrown cash at it until it worked)

They just feel the P1 'looks' right. The 4 engines, the mad boom & the fact it's been designed as a pure MPA from scratch.
Yes that's just as I thought, I'm afraid that's not good enough is it. They are basing their opinions on nothing more than emotions as is proven by the remark re throwing cash at Nimrod. The only people who actually know any facts are the seedcorn personel. I do believe some RAF types did get to fly in the P1 when it came to the UK,whether any of them were 'seedcorn' I have no idea. Although that would be far to sensible for the MOD to arrange surely.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

there is an old adage in the military aircraft and warship world " if it looks right it tends to be right"

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Wouldnt the lower flying jet with the madboom be more vulnerable to a submarine launched missile ,and wouldnt any ew from the periscope of a submarine be what a poseidon would be looking for to launch at

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

marktigger wrote:there is an old adage in the military aircraft and warship world " if it looks right it tends to be right"
There is also the old adage, " Fools rush in "

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

jonas wrote:
marktigger wrote:there is an old adage in the military aircraft and warship world " if it looks right it tends to be right"
and we seam to be rushing down 1 road

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

marktigger wrote:
jonas wrote:
and we seam to be rushing down 1 road
Really, if you are alluding to P8 which I imagine you are I would hardly call it rushing down one road. The fact is we have been looking at this aircraft for a few years, we have had UK crews embedded in the system for a few years, so we know pretty much what its capabilities are.

Perhaps you would like us to delay another few years whilst we go through the whole process again with the P1

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

seaspear wrote:Wouldnt the lower flying jet with the madboom be more vulnerable to a submarine launched missile ,and wouldnt any ew from the periscope of a submarine be what a poseidon would be looking for to launch at
I would think that launching a SAM from a submerged submarine, would pretty much be the death knell of said vessel, particularly if the target is fitted with a DAS system. A cloud of smoke and a plume of water says " I'm here come and get me ".

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

jonas wrote:Really, if you are alluding to P8 which I imagine you are I would hardly call it rushing down one road. The fact is we have been looking at this aircraft for a few years, we have had UK crews embedded in the system for a few years, so we know pretty much what its capabilities are.

Perhaps you would like us to delay another few years whilst we go through the whole process again with the P1
So it's foolish to only consider one option, unless it's the option you personally agree with?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

i'd rather we got it right this time and get a platform that meets our needs be that made in America or Japan

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

marktigger wrote:i'd rather we got it right this time and get a platform that meets our needs be that made in America or Japan
I entirely agree with you, but from what we know and what the USN has experienced the P8 would seem to meet our needs in most respects. I think that having the UK embedded in this project has been one of the more sensible decisions made by the MOD.

My concern is that if we now start to consider other options, of which there have been many proposals, then we will end up another five years down the line without the capability we so desperately need.

We know very little about the capability of the P1, unless someone on this thread can point us in the right direction so that we can be enlightened. Conversely we must know a great deal about P8 being involved in the project so deeply..

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

raven111 wrote:
jonas wrote:Really, if you are alluding to P8 which I imagine you are I would hardly call it rushing down one road. The fact is we have been looking at this aircraft for a few years, we have had UK crews embedded in the system for a few years, so we know pretty much what its capabilities are.

So it's foolish to only consider one option, unless it's the option you personally agree with?
Any constructive comment would be welcomed. :)

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

problem is Japanese have been restricted from exporting till very recently. But its Purpose built and Fly by light technology so is ahead of the P8 in some aspects. but we've been involved with P8 but we shouldn't let that cloud picking the most capable platform

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

marktigger wrote:problem is Japanese have been restricted from exporting till very recently. But its Purpose built and Fly by light technology so is ahead of the P8 in some aspects. but we've been involved with P8 but we shouldn't let that cloud picking the most capable platform
It's already been picked. Thing is that you already know that ,don't you.

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

jonas wrote:
marktigger wrote:problem is Japanese have been restricted from exporting till very recently. But its Purpose built and Fly by light technology so is ahead of the P8 in some aspects. but we've been involved with P8 but we shouldn't let that cloud picking the most capable platform
It's already been picked. Thing is that you already know that ,don't you.
Cite your source. An actual source this time, not some Secret Squirrel "it's classified so you'll just have to take my word for it" bollocks.

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

3+6+3 P8 airframes starting 2016.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

jimthelad wrote:3+6+3 P8 airframes starting 2016.
source ?

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

jimthelad wrote:3+6+3 P8 airframes starting 2016.
order or delivery?

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

jimthelad wrote:

source ?
Does "from the horses mouth" mean anything to you?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

RichardIC wrote:
jimthelad wrote:

source ?
Does "from the horses mouth" mean anything to you?
not unless its backed with evidence!

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

I've met Jim the Lad in person, his credentials are impeccable as well as his Fathers, if what he told me about him was true and I suspect it is. 12 P8's it is then, which is bloody good going actually. The question is will we have enough crews?

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

When the MoD or Boeing announces it, then it's true. Until then it's just the ravings of some anonymous internet guttersnipe.